X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end noise

While in 4wd, I have a popping noise that is coming from the front end possibly more on the drivers side. It almost sounds like a gear missing/slipping. It only happens every now & then and it seems to happen when it's in a bind.
    Again, I am having a hard time pin pointing the sound due to the fact that it rarely happens but it is enough for concern.
    I thought about repacking the bearings in the front end this weekend and was wondering if anyone may have any ideas what it may be or the first place to start looking for the problem?

Thanks

Sounds like your drivers side front axle u joint.

I could also be something in your differential since it is a little more on the drivers side.

I would check the axle u joints first. If they are ok take the cover off the diff and drain the fluid. If you find metal fragments you've found your problem.

If the u joints and the diff look ok the only thing left is the vacuum disco. Sometimes they can hang up.
    Last edited by Beavis; 03-29-2006, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks.....I appreciate your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis
        Sounds like your drivers side front axle u joint.

I could also be something in your differential since it is a little more on the drivers side.

I would check the axle u joints first. If they are ok take the cover off the diff and drain the fluid. If you find metal fragments you've found your problem.

If the u joints and the diff look ok the only thing left is the vacuum disco. Sometimes they can hang up.
        I second that. It sounds just like an axle joint. Try putting it in 4 lo and turning. If you hear it then, it is probably the axle joint. That is how I found the bad one on my XJ, the wifes XJ, and my YJ.

Scrambler

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
          X