X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found clunk help

I think I found my "rear end clunk". It is my torsion(sway bar), the bolt to the frame is moving almost one inch horizontally. These little things (YJ'S) are all new to me. Is this normal? I dont think so, have any of you had the same problem, and how did you fix it?
    Last edited by lil red; 04-06-2006, 12:12 PM.

You don't have a rear swaybar. So it's either in the front, or the rear trackbar. If it's the rear trackbar, remove it. Problem solved.

Comment

what the heck is the track bar for, I know that it has to be there for a reason? All I can think of, is to prevent axle rap? It does not look strong enough (the mounts) to do this.

???

Comment

The Idea is to improve lateral stability. The result is a rough ride!

They are not necessary, and you would be happy without it.

Comment

Originally posted by lil red
          I think I found my "rear end clunk". It is my torsion(sway bar), the bolt to the frame is moving almost one inch horizontally. These little things (YJ'S) are all new to me. Is this normal? I dont think so, have any of you had the same problem, and how did you fix it?
          Not sure if I am talking about the same part but on my old 89 pathfinder it would clunk like you describe. Mine was the link arms. The bushings were gone and it would change direction when driving when you got on and off the gas as well. Replaced the arms and all was good. (The bushes weren't avail on their own)

Comment

Ditch the trackbar, you won't miss it.

Comment

Comment

Ditched "track bar", no more clunk for now. Jury still out on how it handles. I found out the hard way that the mount has a oblong hole to allow movement to facilitate a lift kit. Why the bolt decided to move is a mystery to me. Maybe to hard four wheeling it.

Thanx everybody,

Comment

if it is the bar that goes from the axle to the frame in the rear (or front) they are pointless and can be removed

Comment

Don't want anyone to unnessecarily repeat but what was the intention for the track bars? and it's ok to remove front and rear? has anyone had any problems in doing this?

Comment

Think I already said this here.
                      Originally posted by oros35
                      The Idea is to improve lateral stability. The result is a rough ride!

They are not necessary, and you would be happy without it.
                      Post #4

Comment

I ran no trac bars or front sway bars with no problems on the road and offroad the flex was nice

Comment

Biggest problem is getting the bolts out.

Comment

jury's in, clunk gone, little more squirrelly on highway. get rid of the p.o.s.

Comment

I don't want to start a new thread so I'll ask my question in this one.
                              I have had my 3" lift on my 93 YJ now for close to three years. Just recently I started hearing a clunk coming from the front right of my jeep. The clunk has been developing and is now getting bad.
                              I have taken my truck to two different mechanincs in the past week. One of them took it for a test drive with me. He had no clue, he said that it could be a tranny mount. Both mechanics tried to pry at the ball joints, and both of them said that the ball joints were good.
                              I hear the noise mostly when my front right suspension compresses. I jacked my Jeep up onto front jack stands last week. I turned the wheels from the front and I could not recreate the sound. I wiggled the tires vigorously and could not detect anything that was loose. Tomorrow I'm going to jack up my jeep again and check for track arm looseness.
                              Will I see any exposed area on the track arm that would imply there is something wrong with the bolt or the bushing?

Comment

Working...
                              X