X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body lift 87 yj

i have just got my first jeep, 87 yj 6cyl standard im thinking of putting a body lift and suspention lift on so i can run 35's my qustion is can the body lift and for that matter the suspention lift be done in my driveway with air tools and jacks? or is it a much bigger job than i think?

you'll be fine...as long as you have some mechanical ability...

Comment

Originally posted by sreno0207
      you'll be fine...as long as you have some mechanical ability...
      .......a can of PB blaster, a long breaker bar and a sawzall with a fresh blade. Don't be afraid to cut off the parts your not going to reuse.

Comment

I did my 3.5" suspension, my 2" body lift, my Lock Right, and my SYE in the driveway with mostly hand tools. To top it all off, I have a gravel driveway. The second day working on the suspension lift was fun, it started to rain so I made a tent out of a Tarp and the wife walked around under it and made sure the water didn't pool and pour on us. It was a blast.

But as long as you are going to do it yourself, make sure either you have some mechanical skill or have someone there that does. That way if you get into something you don't quite understand you have someone there that can help you through it.

On top of that, if you have questions the forums are always open.
        Good luck, and if you need help, just ask.
        Scrambler

Comment

thanks scrambler 013 all your help is appreciated

Comment

When doing the body lift, I would recommend using an air impact wrench on the body bolts. Even if you had to have them loosened and then re-tightened again at a shop, it may be worth your time and money. When I did my body lift recently, I had soaked the bolts down with PB Blaster for a week before install. I was able to get 9 out of 11 bolts free with no problems. I had two bolts break. One was accessable (last one before the front wheel) and I was able to put a large washer on top of the body where the original plate would be and use a new bolt/nut. The second one was right by the base of the rollbar on the floor. I really had to work to get that one out. I think if I had used an air impact wrench, I wouldn't have had any problems. Other than that, easy install. Make sure you have the body secure when inserting the pucks.

Comment

Yes as everyone else has said you can do this in your driveway. What size body lift are you thinking???? I personaly wouldn't go over 2 inches. Thats just a safety thing that I have an opinion on.

Comment

thanks for the info guys, im thinking of a 2 inch.

Comment

Keep in mind with the 2", you will be into possibly lengthening the steering shaft. You will also (most likely) run into problems with your shifter hitting the body tub. You will also need to to either lower the radiator or raise the motor or a combo of both. Nothing too terribly difficult, but something to be aware of. There are a few good write ups on the web on body lift installations.

Comment

Working...
                  X