X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4cyl alternator change

I did a search and found nothing i have to change the alternator in my jeep tom. and was wondering how hard of a task it is, i am also installing a new thermostat. If anyone has installed a alternator i was just currious as to how long i am lookin at for install time and difficulty. thanks ahead guys!

Have not changed alt in our new Yj, full sized jeeps, wagoneer, cherokee, time was under 1/2 hour. Easy, even with engine crammed very tight in space. My guess, (our yj is out with wife right now), is that same time or less. I do not know where u r at, here in tacoma we have many places that will do it for free when u buy it from them. This only an option if u do not feel comfortable to do it yourself. Every time I have somebody work on my jeep they over charge and screw things up.

Last edited by lil red; 04-15-2006, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I just put a mean green high output alternator in my yj a few days ago. About a half hour is right if you dont have problems with bolts. Just loosen your adjustable pulley on your fan belt and the alternator is held on by two bolts and then some wires you have to disconnect. This was my first time and it was very easy.

Comment

It is not a hard job and is nothing to get scared away from. Although they could make the wire connects easier to get too but hey its a jeep

Comment

on the thermostat...

I think the thermostat is much more difficult than the alternator... the only difficult bit with the alternator is getting the belts adjusted just right, and that's really not all that hard.

The thermostat however... I just did two of them today! mine was apparently stuck open (it would never get warmer that ~125-150) so i decided to replace with the heavy duty 195 thermostat from the parts store... drain the fluid, take off the housing, pull off the gasket, clean it up, put in the new one, and the jeep overheats, almost immediately. take it off, test it in water, clearly the thing isn't opening at 195. I return it and get another, smartly I test it before putting it in this time, and lo and behold, it doesn't open either. So I take it back and get the cheap-o version. I check it in boiling water and it works fine, so I put it in (cleaning up the paper gasket from the first one turns into a nightmare, so I get a better quality gasker this time). After putting the thing in, it too starts to over heat according to the gage... I borrow a friends temp gun and discover that the temp at the thermostat keeps cycling between 195 and 205, just about right, but the gage still says 250. hmmm. maybe an air bubble? so I take it out into my neighborhood swervking around and braking like a madman (bled the brakes today too) and suddenly BAM, the temp on the gage drops to 210, and then 200. perfect.

So I can only surmise that some air was in the system and it didn't get burped well (odd, since I had no issues a few weeks ago with the old thermostat and the new engine that I just put in...) so either the old termostat was stuck open and "burped" itself, or it was a little ball bearing detent in the original one that the replacements didn't have that may have assisted the "burp"

In summary: test the part in a pot of boiling water first!

good luck with both!

Comment

I've only had luck with Mopar thermostats. I went through the same problems as you mentioned. Started using o.e.m. and been fine ever since.

Comment

the reason i am changing my thermostat is the jeep will heat to 210 then go over a lil and drop back below 210 and repeat that and then sometimes it was go to the mark on the other side of 210 mayb its 230ish and then go back below 210.....so i am hoping it is just the thermostat. thanks for all the tips guys.

Oh and its time for new tires within the next few weeks can i fit 30's or 31s under my jeep if its stock height without many problems?

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by prollynotjeff

Oh and its time for new tires within the next few weeks can i fit 30's or 31s under my jeep if its stock height without many problems?
                Look here: http://www.jeepguide.com/lifts.php

Actually, that link sux. Try this: http://www.4wd.com/kyoung_4wdforums/...ead.php?t=7669 First pic is 30's with no lift.
                Last edited by kudzu69; 04-16-2006, 02:14 AM.

Comment

I have a 95 YJ. I am running 30x9.5 BFG ATs no problems. I put tj flares on front havnt gotten to backs yet. I was able to cut 1inch off top of fender and will get more out of the rears when I get to them. I am getting 31s MTs for wheeling later in summer. With the 1 inch gained with tj flares next year I am planning 2.5 susp and 1 daystar BL wich added together swhould give me 4.5" of extra clearance to clear 33s next year.

Comment

PM me your email and I will send pics of 30s on 5hole tj rims on my yj

Comment

you have mail

Comment

OK so the new alternator is in and was fine for a few days now at idle it jiggles a little just on the other side of 14 is this just a jeep thing or do i have a problem? any input or ideas? thanks again guys

Comment

Originally posted by illegible
                          I think the thermostat is much more difficult than the alternator... the only difficult bit with the alternator is getting the belts adjusted just right, and that's really not all that hard.

The thermostat however... I just did two of them today! mine was apparently stuck open (it would never get warmer that ~125-150) so i decided to replace with the heavy duty 195 thermostat from the parts store... drain the fluid, take off the housing, pull off the gasket, clean it up, put in the new one, and the jeep overheats, almost immediately. take it off, test it in water, clearly the thing isn't opening at 195. I return it and get another, smartly I test it before putting it in this time, and lo and behold, it doesn't open either. So I take it back and get the cheap-o version. I check it in boiling water and it works fine, so I put it in (cleaning up the paper gasket from the first one turns into a nightmare, so I get a better quality gasker this time). After putting the thing in, it too starts to over heat according to the gage... I borrow a friends temp gun and discover that the temp at the thermostat keeps cycling between 195 and 205, just about right, but the gage still says 250. hmmm. maybe an air bubble? so I take it out into my neighborhood swervking around and braking like a madman (bled the brakes today too) and suddenly BAM, the temp on the gage drops to 210, and then 200. perfect.

So I can only surmise that some air was in the system and it didn't get burped well (odd, since I had no issues a few weeks ago with the old thermostat and the new engine that I just put in...) so either the old termostat was stuck open and "burped" itself, or it was a little ball bearing detent in the original one that the replacements didn't have that may have assisted the "burp"

In summary: test the part in a pot of boiling water first!

good luck with both!
                          You get air out of your cooling system by running the jeep with the radiator cap off (when the engine is cold. You keep the radiator topped off. You'll notice if you have big air pockets when the coolant looks like it suddenly disappears. Once it stays full for awhile, then seems like it grows coolant - this means your theromstat has opened up. Once that happens, all the air is out of the system. Remember to leave the heater on while doing this also.

Comment

Working...
                          X