Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strong gas smell outside 90 yj

gotta strong gas smell outside my 90 yj
    could someone give me some points to troubleshoot?

smell is outside, you just walk by the jeep and you can smell it!
    haven't really seen any puddles or drips though.
    tanz

my guess is you have gas leaking somewhere...lol...crawl under neith and look check lines filter pump tank...or you could crawl underneith with a lighter and use that to find the leak but i dont recomend that method...

Comment

If that smell is coming from right in front of the rear wheel, that is where the gas line goes from a rubber tube to a metal tube. What happens is the clamp that holds the rubber tube to the metal tube can break or come loose. So i would check that out first. That would be my advice.

Comment

My 91 YJ has had gas leak problems with the fuel line near the drivers side rear tire. The rubber fuel line by the in line filter began to dry rot causing a small fuel leak. Try looking there..

Comment

Just to eliminate the easy...Is gas capm on correct? May only be a NJ issue since we dont pump our own gas. But I have had many gas attendents put cap on crooked, causing major gas smell outside jeep. Probably not, but thought I would vent..

Comment

Follow all the lined from the tank to the engine compartment. Also check all the lines at teh fuel injectors.

On the 93 YJ, the fuel pump and other critical gas line parts are located on top of the tank. Its impossible to see what is going on without dropping the fuel tank. That might be a last option to see if you have a leak on the top side of the tank.

Comment

Mine smells like gas also. I was told that it could be the gasket on top were the fuel pump goes in the tank. They seem to deteriorate after time.

Comment

Vent valve connector

My 1990 YJ had not been garaged lately and when I parked it inside overnight there was a strong gas smell. I checked the hoses around the tank and found that the vent valve located in the rear fender on the passenger side next to the gas tank had come loose from the rubber connector because the connector was rotted. Replacing the connector fixed the problem. The vent valve connector is P/N 5300 4047. About $10 at your friendly Jeep store.

Comment

Working...
                X