X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank Case Cleaning

I rebuilt my engine and have about 500-1000 miles on it. 93 4 cyl. In the last few weeks I have been hearing a very distinct chatter from the engine. I was convinced it was a sticking valve....so I pulled off each set of rockers and ran the engine with no change in the sound.

Someone recommended cleaning the crank case. Anyone have any luck with this. I really REALLY don't want to have to pull the engine apart.

Any other suggestions as well. It chatters with increasing sound with increasing RPM. It will do it at a stop out of gear, so its nothing other than the engine. It sounds internal. Like I said, I was sure it was in the upper engine and was thinking valves, or lifters, but now I don't think so.

Other than sound it runs fine. The other possible contributing factor is that I had a spark plug blow out. It was not impacted, but the ceramic did shatter. I'm sure I got all the crap out of the engine.

well...

i don't want to sound pessimistic, but it doesn't sound good. other than some oddity with you exhaust I can't think of anything obvious other than "you're screwed and eventually you're going to have to take apart your engine again".

best of luck and keep us informed!

(FYI, I just put in a rebuilt engine and have had misc issues pop up, so I fully comiserate with where you are at. As yet, I've had the harmoic balancer wander out of position, and a bunch of minor oil leaks, not to mention redoing the exhaust which I knew I did a bad job on...)

Comment

Originally posted by Snoochie Boochie
      I rebuilt my engine and have about 500-1000 miles on it. 93 4 cyl.
      Any other suggestions as well. It chatters with increasing sound with increasing RPM. It will do it at a stop out of gear, so its nothing other than the engine. It sounds internal. Like I said, I was sure it was in the upper engine and was thinking valves, or lifters, but now I don't think so.

Other than sound it runs fine.
      Get a mechanics stethescope. That way you can pinpoint the exact area the noise is coming from. Other wise it is all guess work. $20 should get you one. I raced bikes for years and it was the only tool you could use to figure out the issue of noise without a teardown. When I had a big end bearing go it sounded like it was top end but with the stethescope you could tell the issue was all bottom end.

Comment

I'm really hoping its not a teardown, but we'll see. Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Working...
        X