X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body lift ?

my buddy at work wants to put a 3" body lift on his YJ. hes not all that good w/ a wrench. i told him theres more to it than just installing the blocks.
    but being as i never put 1 on before i figured id ask you guys.
    (i think hes crazy i told him to just spend the $$$ on a real lift)

so my ? is what does putting a 3" body lift on a YJ accually involve?

ps. Did a search didnt find anything too good

it doesnt involve much. but after he learns ANYTHING about jeeps, hes going to regret it. I HATE my 3in body lift.

you better off with lift shackles and a 1in body lift.

-Lou

Comment

yeah thats what i told him

by the way he has a 4cyl 5sp he wanted me to ask you guys for him, he doesent have a computer
      i dont know anything about them,i think theyre dumb(body lifts, not YJs)

Comment

instructions

i have instructions for a 3" b lift in pdf format if you want it emailed to ya. 700k is the file size

i got to help when i take the 3" lift off mine.

Comment

well he will need a new steering shaft, put the rad brackets on put the body lift blocks in and then probably have to adjust the shift linkage with heat. Personally I would not go over a 2" bl...In fact I just took mine off and will try and keep it without one but I want a flat skid so I will need a 1" more then likely

Comment

1 1/2

Originally posted by Mud_slinga
            well he will need a new steering shaft, put the rad brackets on put the body lift blocks in and then probably have to adjust the shift linkage with heat. Personally I would not go over a 2" bl...In fact I just took mine off and will try and keep it without one but I want a flat skid so I will need a 1" more then likely
            I was thinking about seeing if i could cut my spacers down to an inch or an inch and a half actually (from the current 3")
            my steering shaft didn't need to be changed with the 3" lift by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by tr6
              I was thinking about seeing if i could cut my spacers down to an inch or an inch and a half actually (from the current 3")
              my steering shaft didn't need to be changed with the 3" lift by the way.
              im doing the samething this summer. Il post results. From my research so far, nothing would need to be changed besides rad brackets and any adjustments you made to accomodate the body lift.

-Lou

Comment

well when i did mine it pulled the shaft out as far as it would go and put alot of stress on the stock ujoints so it was hard to turn...flaming river ones are nice

Comment

forgot to mention the dangers of a 3 BL in a crash... ripping the mounts out of the tub doesnt sound like much fun...

Comment

thanx guys.
                    im gonna go to work and try to talk him down again

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_slinga
                      No you don't need a new steering shaft with a 3" body.

Tell him he'll have fun snapping a couple of the body bolts off when he tries to remove them.

Comment

"Tell him he'll have fun snapping a couple of the body bolts off when he tries to remove them."

You got that right! As I said earllier, my YJ has been in the south all its life and I still broke two bolts. can't imagine how bad that would be up north with all the road salt.

Comment

you will probly have to get shorter bolts if you cut your 3" blocks.
                          just a thought.

Comment

Tell him he'll have fun snapping a couple of the body bolts off when he tries to remove them.[/QUOTE]

also warned him about that!
                            think i got him talked down to a 2" BL he aldeady has a shackle lift & 31"s
                            he wants to run 33"s. is that possible w/ another 2"s ?

Comment

$hit i didnt even think about breaking the body bolts when I remove my lift. I guess they will have to come off anyway... If they break I can just remove them from the top no? Now Im scared! AG! Damn you.

Please dont do a body lift. 1in. thats it. Do a motor mount lift and a small suspension lift... a BB with add-a-leafs if anything! Its not much more $$

-Lou

Comment

Working...
                              X