X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak Common?

I was looking at this add and considering it because of the price and I would really like to have a V6, hard top, and full doors. Here is what the add says:
    "this is a red 1992 jeep wrangler, has all new brakes and rotors and also 1 new brake line, it has soft to and hard top. soft top is brand new. it has speaker rack and also a new cd-player, has hole in the floor that was fixed and also two small rust holes.. is leaking small drops of oil right now not big at all just a few drops over night, this is common in jeeps. as well a cluch line leak need a new slave cilinder to drive thanks. \ ask for pics thanks thanks 1500 takes it . "
    I can replace the slave cylinder if I have to I have already done that before on my own but the oil leak is what concerned me. They state that it is a common problem but I havent ever read anything about YJs that this is an acceptable condidtion. The seller had no information on what needs to be done to stop the oil leak.

If it is a 4.0 oil leaks seem like a common problem, atleast for me. The 4.0s will run forever for the most part, it is usually the oil leakes that get the junked, sold, or rebuilt from what i have seen. It is just normal for old motors to start to develope oil leaks over time. Without knowing what is leaking though it is tuff to tell you if it is normal. But it sounds like an old Jeep. If you know how to do basic engine work i would say it is more than likely something that you can fix on your own, but then again it all depends on where the oil is leaking from.

Comment

I would be willing to guess that it is the rear main seal that causes the leak. But as said before its hard to say without checking it out.
      I have a 91 YJ and had to replace the main seal in it due to an oil leak. I was able to do it myself with a buddy that knows his way around an engine.
      Last edited by desrtson; 04-27-2006, 02:26 AM.

Comment

valve cover, head gasket or rear main seal.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
          valve cover, head gasket or rear main seal.
          I have all of those. Time for a rebuild.

Comment

It's not leaking it's marking it's spot.
            Front oil pan, valve cover, rear main. been there done that.

Comment

Didn't mention where the oil is coming from, what type of oil, we need help to help you.
              Last edited by lil red; 04-27-2006, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratman
                It's not leaking it's marking it's spot.
                I agree 100 percent, but tell my father that. He is ready to kill me.

Comment

For $1,500? Did I get that right? Uh......if it runs, buy it. If that soft top is really new, that's like $300-$500 alone depending what he put on. For the nuisance of a little oil, I'd jump all over it.

Comment

If it is a rear main seal leaking, you could try some seal conditioner and use the high mileage oil to see if that would work first. I had success with this approach on my wife's old minivan. It did take two oil changes and about 6,000 miles to get it to stop.

Comment

Working...
                    X