X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure gauge reading high

Last night, I traveled to a nearly town, about 30 miles at highway speed and rpm. By the 20th mile, I looked down and noticed my Oil pressure gauge was pegged out at 80. I backed off the speed and it came down a little, but would go back up to 80 off and on the next 10 miles. Got into town and the gauge seemed to read fairly normal pressure, but did peg out at 80 once or twice.

Going back home (30 miles again), I watched it more closely. It was pretty normal, until around mile 15, where it pegged out at 80 and stayed there. Got back home and at normal residential street speeds.

Is this most likely the sending unit? Or could there be something else? I didn't notice any other strange sounds..or differences in the Jeep.

Thanks for you aniticipated response.

Replace the sending unit first. Usually that will be your problem. If it turns out that it isn't the sending unit, it was probally going to fail anyway in a short time.

Comment

my 4.2 does the same thing, i was told that it was normal, yeah right. i installed an oil cooler on mine, thats when mine started, i have been driving my jeep this way for about 6 months and no knocks, still runs great. i didnt bother chaning the sending unit but it wouldnt be a bad idea.

Comment

I have had a couple of jeeps and they all did the same thing. I would almost consider it normal. Go ahead and replace the sending unit. If it does not help, then I wouldn't worry about it. The oil pressure spec is measured only at idle. Offhand I do not know that spec. I would only be worried if it dropped pressure.

Comment

I had the same problem a week ago...new sending unit, same darn thing, only now it will drop to the mid-60's at idle...sometimes. Shop couldn't find any problem with the engine.

Comment

definatley replace the sending unit because when mine went bad I let it go.... 3 months later I have a huge oil leak that I had a tough time tracing... turned the sending unit completely went and was only leaking durring driving oil pressure....

Comment

Thanks folks!! I appreciate your responses.

It's been pretty eratic. Sometimes it climbs up...sometimes it doesn't. I haven't noticed any other "knocks" or "ticking" or anything, that would indicate some sort of oil problem.

I'm glad to know, that high oil pressure, is USUALLY (not always) less concerning than low oil pressure.

I plan to replace the sending unit this week, with an oil change.

Thanks!

Comment

The quality of the guages used in a stock jeep are somewhat questionable. The electrical oil pressure guage is really nothing more than a voltmeter that measures the drop accross the sending unit. Any problems with the sending unit or even the wiring can cause erratic reading. I had the same problem with the guages on a Z-28 and it turned out to be a faulty ground.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2cmwork
                  I'm glad to know, that high oil pressure, is USUALLY (not always) less concerning than low oil pressure.

Thanks!
                  While low oil pressure is the main concern for most here is something to ponder: Is the high oil pressure because of a blockage after the sender and therefore has low pressure after the blockage? Is the high pressure due to a cylinder leak into the crankcase?

Comment

Working...
                  X