Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
dana 44's ? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dana 44's ?

    where can i get dana 44s and which ones will work on my 92 Yj. I am new at the jeep thing and i don't know to much about axles. What ford model has the 8.8

  • #2
    Heh, there Jesse,

    Originally posted by jesse187
    where can i get dana 44s and which ones will work on my 92 Yj. I am new at the jeep thing and i don't know to much about axles. What ford model has the 8.8
    The Ford explorer has the rear axle that ya want. 96' newer should all have the 31 splined axles and most all with the V8 and tow pkg, had the factory limited slip and 4.10 gears. Most 44's are wider than your YJ, but there are some waggy (older fullsize Jeeps)axles that are drivers side drop. Good luck HMR-RSQ

    Comment


    • #3
      thanks for the help. Well i guess now i need to find a explorer

      Comment


      • #4
        a ford 9" rear and 44 front will do you fine. different vehicles will get you different widths.
        Last edited by FUBAR; 01-04-2007, 12:38 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          quick and easy D44 rear will come out of an 86-90 XJ with tow package
          they're the exact width you need (60.5") and have the same bolt pattern as your D30 front

          Comment


          • #6
            which have the d44 fronts?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bstewart91yj
              quick and easy D44 rear will come out of an 86-90 XJ with tow package
              they're the exact width you need (60.5") and have the same bolt pattern as your D30 front
              Bstewart is right if ya want a 44 in the rear. The 8.8 is nice due to the same width and has disc brakes.

              Comment


              • #8
                8.8's are 1.5" too skinny wheel spacers would be needed to achieve the right width

                Superior has a super 88 kit that actually spaces out the axle and gets the 8.8 to a full 60.5" with high strength shafts and a locker if you go with the 8.8

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cbbc250
                  which have the d44 fronts?

                  no xj has a D44 front...you'd have to get them from an FSJ
                  but you run into width issues and bolt pattern issues
                  sure you can cut an axle down to the right width but then everytime you break a shaft you have to get another one custom made

                  I ran my HP30 with TJ shafts for a long time on 35's and never had a problem except for blowing wheel bearings every 6 mos...(too much mud i guess)
                  all depends on what tires/engine/gears you want to run what the best choice is

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The problem with the XJ d44s is they are getting hard to find(ask any XJ guy)! If you find one, you could sell it to an XJ guy for $300-400 which would help pay for a nice 8.8!!

                    I'd say 8.8, unless its a trail only, or you live in a state where their aren't too many vehical laws(Ohio for example) I'd say go with full widths! a D44 and a 9in out of a 1978 F150 would be perfect!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I know of a junkyard with 1 or 2 D44's left and a dozen 8.8's for $75 ($125 if you take the brakes) where are you located

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        question, whats so good about the d44's?

                        are they stronger with disc brakes, replacing the rear axles with drum brakes ?

                        because i have a 88' wrangler and i want to get disc brakes for the rear.
                        Last edited by chriiiiis; 01-04-2007, 10:36 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          no xj has a D44 front...you'd have to get them from an FSJ
                          Ahhhhh.... hold on a sec there. The XJ Front D44 is not a legend, it is fact. In South America the XJ came with a front D44.

                          Waggy's are 59" and super easy to install. Buy spring perches from 4WD. The front you have to move the perches in a tiny bit and the rear you have to cut off and reweld. 1.5" aint no big deal, its .75 per side and you can but different wheels.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by joe_and_jeep
                            Ahhhhh.... hold on a sec there. The XJ Front D44 is not a legend, it is fact. In South America the XJ came with a front D44.

                            Waggy's are 59" and super easy to install. Buy spring perches from 4WD. The front you have to move the perches in a tiny bit and the rear you have to cut off and reweld. 1.5" aint no big deal, its .75 per side and you can but different wheels.
                            Ya but those weren't "real" D44, they were just like the ones that came in Rubicons here a few years later!! 44 centers with 30 outers.

                            But yes, XJ Front D44 are real, I've seen a couple, but not too many.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by joe_and_jeep
                              Ahhhhh.... hold on a sec there. The XJ Front D44 is not a legend, it is fact. In South America the XJ came with a front D44.

                              Waggy's are 59" and super easy to install. Buy spring perches from 4WD. The front you have to move the perches in a tiny bit and the rear you have to cut off and reweld. 1.5" aint no big deal, its .75 per side and you can but different wheels.
                              I stand corrected

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X