X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve cover ?

I was doing usual maintance the other day and i noticed that my valve cover was leaking pretty bad. So i looked in my chiltons manual how to change out the gasket and it said that if the gray one that's on the cover is bad you have to get a hole new valve cover. Is this true. If so does the one that 4wd sells that fits a 93-04 fit a 92, i know that's a stupid question but i just want to be sure before i buy one.

Originally posted by trudat
    I was doing usual maintance the other day and i noticed that my valve cover was leaking pretty bad. So i looked in my chiltons manual how to change out the gasket and it said that if the gray one that's on the cover is bad you have to get a hole new valve cover. Is this true. If so does the one that 4wd sells that fits a 93-04 fit a 92, i know that's a stupid question but i just want to be sure before i buy one.
    I have a 93 and from everything I was told just get some copper gasket goo. I am told that it is even better than using the "proper" gaskets. Mine doesn't leak and that is how I put it back together.

Comment

Heh there Ms trudat

Originally posted by trudat
      Ole' Jeep tec here.
      Yet the manual recommends to replace the cover, this is true to a sense if you were gonna use a replacement gasket. Simply saying that, after a period of time to long alum. valve cover does and will warp.. With that said: You can replace with OEM valve cover which has the sealant already on it or take your time and thouroghly clean both the head and valve cover of any and all old sealant and oil. And use a good quality sealant/RTV. Put about a 1/4" bead on the valve cover (dont over do it.) and carefully put the valve cover back on the head. Allow it to set up for about 10-15 mins before tightening down on the bolts. Dont over tighten the bolts.
      Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
        X