X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Swap?

Hello fellow Jeepfreaks! I'm 46 yr old Dave in Buffalo NY and have one simple"?" I recently bought my very 1st Jeep... a '93 YJ with the typical 4-banger in it and was wondering exactly what do I need to change/alter to install my Chevy 350 small block? I mean, will it bolt right up to the factory clutch and tranny... and will those pieces be able to take the added abuse? Any educated thoughts would be greatly appreciated and Thanx ~

Dave!! Glad ya caught the Jeep thing!!! There are a whole bunch of threads concerning chev V-8 swaps on the forum,I've only done the sbc into a CJ. My advice would be to use the search function on the tool bar above. Or go into the YJ forum or Just Jeep forum and use the 'search this forum' tab on the right side. Just type in SBC swap and start sorting through what may apply to your situation. Of course if you get stumped or can't find what ya need, give a holler!

and again, to the thing!!

Comment

Hey Sparky welcome.
      alot of small block swaps but think about a 4.0 inline now that mines running again it is a great motor.

Comment

4wd has a lot of information and conversion kit type stuff on their website. I think for the most you can buy everything from them that you need. But everything that is in the Jeep that is associated with the 4 banger will have to go. I agree with Ratman and i would think about a 4.0 swap. they are great motors.

Comment

I think if you have the 2.5L, then you also have the AX-5 which probably will not stand up to the power of a V8. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. So you'd be better off putting the 5.7L Chevy + transmission in your Jeep all at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratman
            Hey Sparky welcome.
            alot of small block swaps but think about a 4.0 inline now that mines running again it is a great motor.
            I might be wrong but I think he already has the SB and that is why that was his choice.

Comment

Sparky Pt. 2

Sorry guys, maybe I should have started at the beginning! I've been welding since high school which is why I picked up this Jeep in the 1st place. The frame is just about completely gone...meaning the front end is pretty much about to fall off and it obviously won't pass inspection in my "lovely" state of **** NY. So, I thought for a measly 800 clams which I paid with 94,000mi on it, I thought why not just fab up and weld my own new frame? Well, seeing as though I can do that, I'll be able to put motor mounts and tranny X-overs anywhere they need to go. However, my "?" still has yet to be answered> Are Chevy and Jeep bellhousing bolt patterns the same... how bout tranny length... U-joints gonna bolt right up...these are the kind of "dimensional" questions I have. OH, and by the way... for you really talented people... I was thinking about fabricating a true custom body out of .093" aluminum! For you guys not in the know, that's 3/32 of an inch. Watchya think? Dave ~

Comment

try this it may be able to answer your questions, look around on the site for other answers, sorry I have not done this and I wish you luck on the process.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...shift_info.htm

I too am in NY, where abouts you located

Comment

to answer your question. no. nothing will bolt up, nothing will match up.

nothing is the same length, nothing cools the same, nothing shifts in the same place, nothing gets gas in the same place, nothing exhausts in the same place, nothing mounts in the same place or has the same bellhousing.

Comment

I'm in Buffalo... you know, an hour away from the Falls~

Comment

WOW I think FUBAR covered pretty much nothing! hehe

I'm from NY as well! Finger Lakes Region. The land of salt!

Comment

Working...
                      X