X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 swap to 4.2L

I just pick up a 1987 YJ cheap and I looking to swap out the 4 banger to a I6 4.2 my quesiton is. Will the I6 bolt up to the tranny and will the motor mounts have to be moved?
    any help on this is greatly appreciated

You don't want the 4.2L unless you have the fuel injection kit to go along with it (unless you want to deal with a carb). Find yourself the 4.0L with the harness and computer. You will need different motor mounts unless I'm mistaken someone will correct me and as far as the tranny goes you won't be able to use your existing one. Hope that helps.

There are other options including chevy's 4.3L V6 which is also a bullet proof engine and our host sells kits to get that just where you need it. Good Luck.

Comment

Buy a jeep with the motor you want, you'll be $$ and frustration ahead.

Comment

01 Start
        02 If motor runs GoTo 10
        03 If wrenching skills > novice GoTo 05
        04 End GoTo Mechanic or friend with > wrenching skills
        05 Spend weeks researching 2.5 to 4.0 swap on internet
        06 Replace motor with 4.0
        07 Buy hair grow tonic for missing hair
        08 Mate transmission to engine
        09 GoTo 11
        10 Leave it alone and spend money on other things
        11 End

Comment

The jeep was a steel for the money. I do want a bigger motor then the 4 banger. I have a free 4.2L and a T150 tranny. Now will the transfer case match up to the T150 with and adapter.

Comment

if im right I belive Advanced Adapters will help you mate pretty much anything too anything.

Comment

thanks
              spemer fi Ooooraaahhhhhh

Comment

Motor mounts will need to be changed and they are welded on. If you don't have any welding skills get someone who knows what there doing to do the actual welding.

Comment

Working...
                X