Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really need the third brake light?

Humm...

Put on a new spare tire holder on the back of my 95 YJ. The OEM version was not up to holding a larger spare, so a new heavy duty one has been installed. I'am only going to use a 32 inch tire, so the tail gate hinges should be fine.

Now the trouble is the new bracket will not work with the OEM third brake light.
    I know I could drill and remount, but the bracket is fairly trashed.

So, although I know the rules say so, but will the walls bleed and demons appear if I trash the third brake light?

Mike

you probably wont pass inspection without it or if it is blocked.

Comment

state laws will dictate this one, what state are you in?

Comment

I' am in ohio and yea, kinda know I'll need to get that third brake light working again..

But it was a thought!! Looks like I'll have to raid the junk yard for another third brake light as the one i have is kinda of trashed..

mike

Comment

I don't know what year they started putting them on, but my 90 doesn't have one. If it was supposed to, at least in VA it passed inspection. I would figure that you would be fine if the early YJs didn't have one, and it is hard to tell the years apart on a YJ, I don't think you would get hassled. Since you're in Ohio, you don't need to worry about state inspections, or has that changed?

Comment

Well since my 95 YJ had one, I'll have to annyup and put it back on.

In my county, we don't do annual inspections, but every now and then, the state police will pop a safety check on a state road..

Mike

Comment

they started in 92 making it standard. i found that out because a dealership tried to fail mine for inspection in NY until told them that it was 92 and up for the law, they looked into it and found out I was correct which was also the same year Jeep started putting it on all their vehicles.

Comment

This is directly from NY state Vehicle and Traffic Law. Title 3, Article 9, Paragraph 40.

40. Stop lamps. (a) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, operated
                or driven upon the public highways of the state, if manufactured prior
                to January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two, shall be equipped with at
                least one stop lamp which shall display a red to amber light visible at
                least five hundred feet from the rear of the vehicle when the brake of
                such vehicle is applied.
                (b) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, operated or driven upon
                the public highways of the state, if manufactured on or after January
                first, nineteen hundred fifty-two, shall be equipped with at least two
                stop lamps, one on each side, each of which shall display a red to amber
                light visible at least five hundred feet from the rear of the vehicle
                when the brake of such vehicle is applied.

Just look up your states laws. It will spell it out for you

Comment

My '92 doesn't have a third brake light, and my buddy's '95 doesn't either. Both are just as they were from the factory.

Comment

Working...
                  X