X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water leak on 90 YJ

I know this subject has been dicussed before, but here is my problem.
    I have a 1990 YJ, whenever it rains I get a puddle of water on the driverside floorboard. The water drips down from somewhere above the emergency brake release handle. If anyone has any solutions to this problem I would appreciate if you pass it on.

Thank you,
    azyj

Most likely it is the seal between the bottom of the windshield frame and the body. Before you replace that, take off the soft top channel on the top of the windshield. I had one of my holes that held it on crack due to stress. It created a hole and the water dripped in through it. A little silicone and a new hole in the channel and I was good to go.

Comment

vent

The vent of the top of your hood drains down through a rubber tube inside the engine compartment by the firewall. When this gets clogged, water enters the inside of the jeep.

Comment

My Jeep has also been getting a wet floorboard, but on both sides. I think my tires are kicking up water, which is coming in around the drain plugs. I have scoured the underside of the dash during and after a rain, and can not find water from up above. My drain hose is clear, and my floorboards are only wet if I drive it in the rain, not if it sits in the rain. I have pulled the drain plugs, and put a thin bead of caulk (not silicone, which would be harder to remove) under the lip of the plug, and put it back in. Hopefully, this will keep my floors dry.

Comment

i doubt ur tires would be slinging water up and through ur drain plugs. but it could be. check that drain hose. the windsheild seal, and the heater inlet seal

Comment

I have ALL of my drain plugs pulled..and I drive in the rain, snow, mud, etc...and I have never had water in my floorboards from that. It's possible..but unlikely. I think you probably have a leak around a seal, or drain tube on the firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by hodge
              My Jeep has also been getting a wet floorboard, but on both sides. I think my tires are kicking up water, which is coming in around the drain plugs. I have scoured the underside of the dash during and after a rain, and can not find water from up above. My drain hose is clear, and my floorboards are only wet if I drive it in the rain, not if it sits in the rain. I have pulled the drain plugs, and put a thin bead of caulk (not silicone, which would be harder to remove) under the lip of the plug, and put it back in. Hopefully, this will keep my floors dry.
              Check for a rotted floor. Trust me sometimes everything looks real solid until you start cutting to fix that tiny hole. Then you find you have no good metal at all in the floor. It might even look like no holes but once agian it is all just rust holding the floor in.

Fingers crossed that this isn't your problem.

Comment

I appreciate your concern and replies. When it is raining, and the floor is wet, I have taken a good flashlight, and searched under the entire dash. The pedals, wiring, emergency brake, firewall, etc. are all dry. No water running down, no dripping, nothing. only the flat part of the floorboard is wet, but there is no standing water. Just damp. I have checked the drain hose, sprayed the windshield, and run the jeep through many car washes, and no water. I will see what it does during the next rain, since I have sealed the two front drain plugs. By the way, my floor boards are very solid. No rust whatsoever, either side. I have gone over my jeep with a fine tooth comb, and only found one small (size of a nickel) rust hole in the frame, under the passenger side rear spring shackle. I have ground it out and painted it for now, and will pull the shackle in a month or so and weld it. There seems to be no way for water to exit the rear of the frame, so I have drilled a small hole on the drivers side to let water out, and will do the same on the other side, once it is patched. For now, water can get out fine.

Comment

Originally posted by hodge
                  By the way, my floor boards are very solid. No rust whatsoever, either side.

I started to fix rusting around the holes where my Sahara steps /step cover bolt on to the side. Once I started cutting the "good metal" started to disappear. My floor was solid or so I thought. But I was almost at the transmission hump before i had something good to weld to. Solid and weldable solid are not always the same. Mine was solid but the metal was porous due to the rust underneath. Also the carpet was pulling moisture from the holes to the lowest point - the floorpan. That made it much harder to trace the source.

Comment

Working...
                  X