Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expensive fix but definitly worthwhile. And you get to lose the t-case drop!!

Comment

Another question thats a NP231 T-Case in a 05 TJ correct ?

Comment

Before you go and do an SYE, you might check out THIS writeup. I had the same problem when I added a 1" BL to my 3" SL. At the start of acceleration I was getting this awful clunking noise. I bought the kit from DC for about $20 and it solved my problem. I dont want to you to go away from all the other solutions on here but you might check this out.

Comment

I did install the drop kit for the 4x4 shifter linkage.. and looking at the picture of the parts they are the same as the ones installed on my jeep I think this issue has been resolved on the 05 TJ's.. I do not feel this is the issue ?? also looking at the drive angle it does not look bad ?? I will have to snap a picture and post it..
          Last edited by 908snowman; 04-08-2005, 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

That sound could be your U-joint going bad where your pinion angle is incorrect.

Comment

Your problem is the rear driveshaft angle. With as little as 2" of lift on a Tj you can cause this. You need to lower your t-case (as a temp fix until you get a sye) to correct for the new angle. Here is the problem, any ole generic drop doesn't mean it is the right amount to correct it. Here is the easiest way to figure out how much drop you need. Bring a friend, some 2X4's and your jack (2x4's go under the jack if it won't reach) to support your t-case skid. Now go park at a Lowes or Home Depot and remove your middle skid bolts so that all you have remaining is the four corners. Now go in to the store and buy at least 16 thick washers (they are about 1/8" thick). Install 4 washers at each corner and take it for a drive. Test drive (be easy) to see if the vibes are better or gone. Then slowly add more until you figure it out. This will tell you exactly how much crop you need. You can then install some bar steel or search for a t-case drop for the size you need.

At some point you may find you need longer bolts for your skid. Since you can't buy the bevelled ones that are in there I used a grade 8 replacement bolt with a grade 8 thick washer that will fit in the bevel of the skid to center the bolt similar to the bevelled head of the factory bolt.

You may find that at some point the t-case lowering is doing nothing more to correct the vibes. At that point you want to buy and install some cam bolts for the rear axle, similar to the way a leaf guy will shim his axle. If you don't know what they are do a search online and if all else fails I can post a pict.

As for living with the vibes, not a good thing. It will rip apart u-joints and seals eventually causing a failure.

And as mentioned you will want to do this with a drop bracket for the shift linkage.
              Last edited by Moab Man; 04-09-2005, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Question the spacer on the T Case are ~ 1.25 inchs, how much is to much to drop the case ?

Comment

And another thing should I shim so the rear of the skid has more drop then the front.. ??

Comment

No, you should drop the t-case evenly. The motor mounts staying in the stock location while the tranny mount drops will provide all the angle you need.

Comment

I have dropped the case with the spacers that came with the lift kit they are about 1.25 - 1.50 inchs in size.. I just wanted to know if adding washers could help and when have I added too much placing stress on the motor mounts ?

Comment

I installed a 4" lift on my TJ and had the same problem. I added washers to my tcase drop so that my drop was lower in the rear then in the front and the vibe went away.

Comment

If you already have 1.25" worth of drop then I would go to the cam bolts.

Dropping the rear more than the front would help to correct the angle but would increase the likelihood of it all shifting on you.

Comment

I can't figure out whether the shudder is because of the excess space the T-case has to bounce around or because my crappy 3.07's hate my 33's. I think SYE is really the only answer.
                            Bingo.

Comment

Working...
                            X