X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very rough idle

Hi all, I am new to this forum but have had my jeep for 4 years. I have a question for the guys and gals who have 4 bangers in their jeeps. Mine is a 95 yj with the 2.5 and it idles very rough. It has done that since I have owned it. But lately it seems like it is getting worse. Any help will do. P.S. gas milage really sucks in town and on interstate. Thanks :x :x

Have you done anything to it yet? Plugs, wires, dist. cap, fuel filter, air filter, carb cleaner ect?

Comment

Yes I have done all of that, but it still vibrates very badly when idleing. It runs just fine on the road, but being a 4 banger it has never had much speed to it until it hits 45 mph and then it will really go.

Comment

Have you sprayed the Idle air control valve with carb cleaner? On the 4 cyl, I'm not even sure it has one. Just start taking off stuff around the throttle body that has wires running to it and spray them with cleaner.

Comment

My Jeep has a rough idle, but so did my 93 YJ. If I turn the wheel hard and back to center while sitting in the driveway, the engine will rev and then almost stutter some of the time. My 93 did this also. I think it's just a 2.5L Jeep thing. It's not a muscle car or a finely tuned luxury ride, but it's paid for and it runs. I've even used Bosch platinum and now Bosch double platinum plugs, and it still has a rougher-than-I'd-like idle. My new water pump helped some. Wish I had seen the FlowKooler at 4wd.com earlier.

If you want peace of mind, take it to a mechanic you trust and have them hook up a diagnostic for $25.

Comment

Working...
          X