Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake/Steering Problem?

Hi I'm new to the forum.

I've had tons of work done on my brakes at the Jeep dealer do to a vibration felt when braking for the past few months. They told me I was using the break too much, but they didn't charge me anyhting to 'fix' things. Right now it has new rotors and bearings.

When I use the brakes now there is a pull to the right. It is especially noticable when I am going very slow. For example: I am just pulling up to the stop light <5mph, there is a noticable tugfrom the wheel to turn right, increasing the slower I get until just before I stop. I also feel it when breaking suddenly at high speeds. Oh yeah, and because of all the city driving I do, the breaks squeek a lot.

If they just fixed my brakes what could this be? Do they need to get tuned up, new pads, bleed the brakes, etc...

Thoughts, Ideas?

did they replace or fix all the bearings and rotors? they may have only did you right side it grips more on that side. Mine will pull to the right a little when I hit the brakes however it is nothing bad at all.

Comment

It's not uncommon for new brake pads to act squirrely. Some more so than others and usually require a "bedding in". Here is some information that may be useful to you.

Comment

try bleading the brakes there could be an airpocket in one of the calipers alowing one side to brake harder than the other.

did they replace the pads as well?

Comment

They didn't replace the pads(which are about a year and a half old). Only the rotors and the bearings, on both sides.

I thought about bleeding the brakes. how easy is that to do?

Also, does the squeeking ever stop? Do different pads squeek more than others?

Comment

I had a problem with a caliper on my yj sticking, It always pulled to the right when braking. replaced them and had no problems after that. I might add it pulled pretty hard if I had to brake quickly.

Comment

Calipers

I would agree that it would be the calipers or air in the brake lines. Mine does the same thing, but the caliper on the right side is a little loose. I stripped out the screw in the steering knuckle and one won't tighten all the way but the other is still tight. Good luck and let us know what it ends up being. Bleeding the brakes isn't that hard by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by lilboy1023 View Post
                I would agree that it would be the calipers or air in the brake lines. Mine does the same thing, but the caliper on the right side is a little loose. I stripped out the screw in the steering knuckle and one won't tighten all the way but the other is still tight. Good luck and let us know what it ends up being. Bleeding the brakes isn't that hard by the way.
                I talked to the guy at the Jeep service center and he out of the blue mentioned the caliper too, but of course wants me to bring it in. Is this an easy, replace it your self weekend job. I say this because the 'sticking' of the breaks and pulling to the right has worsened today and they don't have an opening at the shop until monday.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Not a big deal

Originally posted by gt3180a View Post
                  I talked to the guy at the Jeep service center and he out of the blue mentioned the caliper too, but of course wants me to bring it in. Is this an easy, replace it your self weekend job. I say this because the 'sticking' of the breaks and pulling to the right has worsened today and they don't have an opening at the shop until monday.

What do you guys think?
                  If you are even kinda mechanicially incined, it is easy and should only take several hours at the most. The hardest part will be bleeding them. They come off with the two mounting screws. There is a screw for the hose with the brake fluid. That's it, that I can remember. That way you will only pay for the part. Labor seems to be the worst part of doing anything to your jeep or any vehicle for that matter. I am by no means a mechanic, but I can do it so I think that it isn't that hard. Hope this helps. You should also look into a club in your area that works on their jeeps. I would offer to help but not sure where you are at. Let me know if you are in Indiana and can help if you need!

Comment

Replacing a caliper is fairly easy. Even easier if you an extra foot to pump the brake pedal while you bleed your brakes. check this site for some tips.
                    http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html#maintenance
                    A hayne's or chilton manual is always good to own also. 15-20$ at your local parts store.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X