X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of Oil

Question...what weight gear oil is used in a 1991 Jeep Wrangler transmission and transfer case.
    The issue I am having is hard manual shifting during cold weather.

Automatic transmision fluid is what i use.

Comment

I second the ATF, used it in several of my rides, works great, no problems so far.

Comment

That depends if it's a manual or automatic transmission. Your best best bet is to stick with what the manufacturer recommends. I certainly wouldn't want to use ATF in a manual transmission.

Comment

Yup. ATF in a standard transmision. Has cured the hard shifting for many many miles.

Comment

Originally posted by rstarch345 View Post
            That depends if it's a manual or automatic transmission. Your best best bet is to stick with what the manufacturer recommends. I certainly wouldn't want to use ATF in a manual transmission.
            Rodney, even Mercedes Benz uses ATF in their manual trannies... and VW did for a long time in many models.

Comment

Guess I'm still too 'old school' when it comes to manuals.

Comment

Originally posted by rstarch345 View Post
                Guess I'm still too 'old school' when it comes to manuals.
                Well, people here call me old school Rodney because I like and drive an old Jeep and wear Jeans and boots and use to work with my hands... so if I am old school, what are you? LOL just teasing you bud, when I was an apprentice we learned that ATF is for auto trannies only and that filling a manual with ATF would destroy the tranny. But I've read that in some racing applications they used ATF in manuals decades ago. And Daimler uses ATF since about 20 years in their trannies depending on application and usage and VW used it since the mid 80s, no idea if they still do.

Comment

Working...
                X