X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gps receiver advice

I'm beginning to grow interested in GPS - geocaching, "satellite safari" games, or checking out where I'm at and the easiest/hardest way back; etc etc. I will also take it backpacking. I think what I want is something with a geocaching mode, on-screen mapping, lot's of waypoints, a compass, altimeter, and maybe turn-by-turn directions. Are these things important? What else should I look for? We were caching yesterday with a friend using a Garmin E-trex Legend and it seemed to do just fine, but I would have liked to see a map on screen showing existing roads, maybe topo as well (I see on their website it does mapping, so maybe the owner didn't have any loaded). I also used a magellan explorist 200 once while hiking which showed mapping info on screen. (I heard bad things about magellan on this forum in another thread - cust service?)

So what are all your thoughts? I can't spend a lot either (I like the $99 price of the cheapest e-trex model but I figure I would be disappointed with the lack of features). I'd say under $200 at the very max. To summarize: I'll be using it for geocaching, backpacking, trail navigation, and possibly on-road directions. I'd like to know what you are using for these tasks and your success or failure with the unit you use.

Thanks!

The eTrex WILL display topo, but you have to upload the maps to it... mine does. It shows trails as well as roads. And displays terrain well.
    I just recently added a Garmin Nuvi 350 to my repetoire, and I'm very pleased with it... it's extremely easy to use, and is handy in driving, as well as comes out of the vehicle for moderate on-foot usage (I wouldn't recommend it for mountain climbing expeditions).

Comment

Hey tomsjeep, which e-Trex do you have? I have the base model and it won't allow maps cause it has no memory. Personally i wish i would have held out longer and got a better unit.

Comment

Originally posted by yjrob91
        Hey tomsjeep, which e-Trex do you have? I have the base model and it won't allow maps cause it has no memory. Personally i wish i would have held out longer and got a better unit.
        Mine is more than 5 years old... don't recall the model number offhand.
        It's display is black&white if that tells you anything.

The NUVI I just got is light years ahead of it...
        and even works okay for handheld foot travel, but lacks topo detail (most of the time when hiking/backpacking, I don't even bother with these things anymore, partly because I have functional, all-weather skills with map and compass, and partly because overhead tree cover tends to make GPS worthless).

Comment

I have the Garmin Legend CX. It does way more than I will ever understand about it. It is color also. The only complaint I have is I had to buy the north America map system. (City Navigator) It runs another hundred dollars. The water ways and the topos are also extra. It works great, I can plan routes by road or straightline. I bought it mostly for fishing, I can mark a spot and come right back to that spot in the middle of the lake anytime I want.

Comment

I have the E-trex legend and am very pleased with it

I purchased mine as part of a kit, it was labeled "Garmin E-trex Exploration Pack" or something like that. What that consisted of was: GPS with U.S. Base Map (only shows major roads) preloaded onto it, Mapsource U.S. Topo 3 disc set that you can load onto it as needed, car cord, computer cord, vehicle mount, belt holster and a few other things. It was $200 at Dicks about a year and a half ago, not sure how much prices have went up

I would search for a similar deal as buying the topo stuff seperately will get expensive

buy the way you will be amazed at what shows up on the topo, down at Wellsville for example all the powerlines, streams, rr tracks, elevation lines, unmaintained/abandoned roads, even a pipeline show up

another nice feature is the ability to create maps you can save or print out
            Last edited by tgoode; 08-16-2007, 09:43 PM.

Comment

My Garmin Quest 2 rules. Color display with hard drive, North American maps pre-loaded. Fully downloadable with topo maps. Car mount and 20 hr rechargable. I use it a lot and have never been disappointed in or out of the Jeep.

Comment

Originally posted by tgoode
                I have the E-trex legend and am very pleased with it

I purchased mine as part of a kit, it was labeled "Garmin E-trex Exploration Pack" or something like that. What that consisted of was: GPS with U.S. Base Map (only shows major roads) preloaded onto it, Mapsource U.S. Topo 3 disc set that you can load onto it as needed, car cord, computer cord, vehicle mount, belt holster and a few other things. It was $200 at Dicks about a year and a half ago, not sure how much prices have went up
                I saw a similar deal on the Magellan eXplorist 210 for $199 at REI. It looks like a good deal to me. I think the best fit for my multiple needs is the Garmin GPSMAP 60 - but at $249 I can't really afford it. Anyone seen a deal anywhere?

Comment

Dude Magellan just made a new model called the triton, I just got to check them out at an outdoor retailer show, They are bad ***! It was completly designed with National Geographic so that their topo software could be uploaded easily. They have different models for different budgets, but i think the model that would be my base model would be the triton 500, I dont know how much it costs though (I would probably put money on it being out of budget) but it also has maps already built into it. which if you think about it most GPS's dont have and its another $100 program for your computer.

But back to reality the Garmin E trex are really nice units...I have used them in Search and Rescue out in Joshua Tree and they are nice, we use the legend, and have no maps uploaded onto them unfortunately, and personally I use the Brunton Atlas, I got it with the intention of uplaoading the National Geographic program onto it, but NG has not made the program compatable with brunton yet...BASTARDS! So I am waiting to see if that does happen someday, if not I still know how to use my map and compas and plot my position on that cool piece of paper.

Hope this helps some

Ry Ry

Comment

Originally posted by lil ry ry
                    Dude Magellan just made a new model called the triton, I just got to check them out at an outdoor retailer show, They are bad ***! .....
                    WOAH! 6 models (200, 300, 400, 500, 1500, 2000), ranging from $130 - $500, all color screens! The 300 is $150, has a built in basemap of North America, 10 mb memory for additional maps (will take the nat geo maps). check out the pic:
                    http://www.magellangps.com/products/...ductImageLarge
                    I just don't think they're in stores yet. I'll have to look though, for sure. Thanks Ryan. For anyone else interested, check 'em out here:
                    http://www.magellangps.com/products/....asp?segID=425

Comment

right the 300 was only about $150 and I think the 400 was about $200 but they dont have a built in compass or something silly that you would expect on a GPS. That was why i looked into the 500, but I dont remember price.

Comment

I think the 500 is $250 - a really good price for what you get! I've found that the cheaper handheld units don't have an "electronic compass" or "barometric altimeter". They determine compass heading and altitude based on the satellites. The Garmin eTrex I used this week was that way, and so was the Magellan eXplorist I used before. Since I can't afford the higher end models, I'll have to live with that fact. What's also nice about the 400 and higher models is that they have a card slot, so it's really endless mapping capability. The 200 has no additional memory, and the 300 has 10 mb.

Comment

I like my brunton because of the fact that you can expand the memory, and you can also buy the map cards directly from brunton for different areas, or the program to create your own , it was just that i had the national geographic program and THEN found out that they werent compatable...damn. It has one of the larger screens i have seen and runs for awhile on 2 AA batteries, and it has the digital compas built in already, no barometer though...I had it mounted on the das of the jeep last time we all went out wheeling (i dont know if you saw it).

Comment

I noticed JoeDirt said he was using the Garmin Quest 2. everything ive seen shows that these are awesome bc of the features.

is anyone using a unit with similar features, hopefully under $300.

i'm looking for:
                            basic road map which is upgradeable when i get more cash
                            off roading back tracking (incase i get lost)
                            decent size screen
                            battery life, so i can hook it onto the bike and use it for short trips

i like the handhelds but would rather have a larger one b/c they are easier to use

Comment

I'm putting my Nuvi 350 to the test this morning, as I am headed out for a couple of weeks on the road, and have loaded it with a ton of POIs, audio books, etc. for the trip.
                              So far though it has done quite well... providing alternate routes at a glance while stuck in traffic (it's a Boston thing I guess). Most likely I'll be away from the forums for the time I'm gone, so canna answer further, but will let you know how well the gps behaves for the trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X