X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing YJ behind motorhome

I have read some other entries and noticed you put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in any other fwd gear. However how do you handle the postion of the ignition key swich. If it is placed in lock the wheel won't turn. It appears if you turn the engine to off but not to lock the steering wheel does not lock up. I do not have an owner's manual so I have no way of knowing this.

You can leave the column unlocked and the ignition off.

Comment

TOWING INSTRUCTIONS

► Transfer case in neutral
      ► Transmission in fifth gear
      ► Parking brake off
      ► Key in ignition, steering
      unlocked, radio & fan off

Comment

what do you do about the lighting .Itried wiring directly to the harness under hood and all I could get was running lights from the tow rig no brake or turn signals

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/s...RROCK011-1.jpg
        Last edited by softop; 10-07-2009, 10:44 PM.

Comment

The easiest way is to use magnetic towing lights that plug in to your trailer lights hookup. Mine was set up for flat towing and already wired when I got it so that I just plug in under the front bumper. I don't know the specifics of how it was done.

Comment

Originally posted by tomz View Post
            TOWING INSTRUCTIONS

► Transfer case in neutral
            ► Transmission in fifth gear
            ► Parking brake off
            ► Key in ignition, steering
            unlocked, radio & fan off
            I have read both leave the transmission in Neutral or in 5th gear. What is the benifit of leaving it in gear as opposed to in Neutral like the transfer case? Which is better in towing or on the jeep?
            Thanks

Comment

I just go by what my 1990 Jeep Owner's Manual says. I figure they ought to know best. I would guess that it has something to do with lubrication, though.

Comment

bingo...

Originally posted by tomz View Post
                I just go by what my 1990 Jeep Owner's Manual says. I figure they ought to know best. I would guess that it has something to do with lubrication, though.
                If the tranny is left in neutral, the bearings will be starved for oil. The rotation of the gears and what-not slings the oil around to keep everything lubed.

Comment

Thank you both for the explanation. I plan to tow the YJ this weekend and your information will be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                  X