X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 35 Axle Bearing Replacement

New to the forums. I own a '92 YJ with a 2" suspension lift and 31s. Has anyone on here ever replaced their rear axle bearings? How much of a pain in the a$$ is it? Can it be done in a few hours? I just had my rearend completely rebuilt back in May and I am not sure why the bearing is already grinding bad. It is the driver's rear. My reason for having the rear end rebuilt in the first place was to replace the pinion bearing and seal as well as the driver's side axle bearing because it was chirping/clicking real loud. I ended up replacing everything: ring/pinion gears, carrier, carrier bearings. The only thing not replaced was the axles themselves. I don't do any extreme offroading, just the occassional trail rides and playing in the mud holes. I actually have not been offroad at all since the rebuild so not sure why the bearing went out already. Anyways, thanks for any advice, tips, tricks, etc.

Michael Rains, Athens, Alabama

It's not too hard, remove the clips if you have em, pull the shafts, use a puller to get the bearing out and replace with needed parts..roll tide!

Comment

Any possibility that the shop that rebuilt it will warranty the part and work?

Comment

it should have lasted alot longer, if it was done right. i think that shop took you for all they could get.i wouldn't let them work on my jeeps.knowledge is the key, there is a book called Differentials, by jim Allen & randy Lyman the best $30 you can spend, and do the work your self.check to see if the axel is bent.

Comment

There is some sort of assembly issue or lubrication issue here. Fact is bearings just don't fail that quickly even if abused horribly.

I would check to see if it is square in the bore and like mentioned already if the axle is straight. The other option is get a used axle with your gearing and swap the whole thing. Might be just as cheap and easier in the end.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's inputs. I went to the original shop who initially did the rearend rebuild and the guy needed my jeep for 3 days, $60 per hour to replace the "warrantied" part. So needless to say, I learned my lesson with that shop. I ended up doing the work myself with the help of a neighbor and friend. Found out that my problem was a "repair bearing" was used when it was rebuilt! So after welding a bead around the inside of the blown up bearing, we finally were able to slide hammer it out. I went ahead and purchased a replacement Dana 35 axle for $92 which I thought was a damn good price for an original Dana part. Anyways, after 2 hours and an hour searching for a 12-point 1/4 inch socket to remove the diff shaft pin, I am back on the road.

Comment

Working...
            X