X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Basic questions about my new TJ

i just picked up my first jeep. a 98 wrangler 4 cyl auto ait a 4" superlift susp lift, 33x12.50's, quadratech front and rear bumpers, air raid intake, header, magnaflow muffler, jacobs ign, jet chip, optima battery, and a fully line-x'ed interior.

the rig has stock gears and i'm thinking about swapping them out for a set of 4.56's since it's kinda struggling in the power dept. would this be a good ratio for a daily driven ride that sees maybe 30 miles of hwy driving per day? my gas mileage is pretty crappy too. i get maybe 160 miles to a tank. would the gears help out the mileage since the motor wouldn't have to work so hard to turn the tires? i know that hwy mileage would suffer a bit since it would be running at a higher rpm. i dont' plan on any serious off roading. just some beach riding and road use. oh, and what's the stock gear with a 4 cyl auto? i've heard two different things. 3.73, and 4.10.

second, with the larger tires, the speedo is off. i've heard that if the speedo isn't corrected, that messes up the shift points and various other things that can mess up fuel economy and performance. i'm looking at the tru-speed. would this be a good thing to purchase or should i just get the correct speedo gear?

how many quarts of oil does the 4 cyl hold? i didn't get an owners manual with it, and i'd like to do an oil change too.

in 98, is it a 3 speed or a 4 speed auto tranny? i thought it was a 4 speed, but all i see on the shifter is D, 2, 1.

are there any other little perfomance parts i can purchase to help up the power a bit? i've heard of the 4.0 throttle body, and TB spacer. do they really help? on the hwy, i'm struggling to hit 60 on the speedo, even though it's incorrect.

can someone recommend some good brands of tune up items such as plugs (with gap), wires, etc... i don't want to go into the parts store and buy crap.

sorry for the long post, i've been into mustangs all my life and know quite a bit about them, but jeeps are all new to me.

thanks for all your help.

Re: Couple of Basic questions about my new TJ

Originally posted by SandCrawler
    i just picked up my first jeep. a 98 wrangler 4 cyl auto ait a 4" superlift susp lift, 33x12.50's, quadratech front and rear bumpers, air raid intake, header, magnaflow muffler, jacobs ign, jet chip, optima battery, and a fully line-x'ed interior.
    Welcome!

the rig has stock gears and i'm thinking about swapping them out for a set of 4.56's since it's kinda struggling in the power dept. would this be a good ratio for a daily driven ride that sees maybe 30 miles of hwy driving per day? my gas mileage is pretty crappy too. i get maybe 160 miles to a tank. would the gears help out the mileage since the motor wouldn't have to work so hard to turn the tires? i know that hwy mileage would suffer a bit since it would be running at a higher rpm. i dont' plan on any serious off roading. just some beach riding and road use. oh, and what's the stock gear with a 4 cyl auto? i've heard two different things. 3.73, and 4.10.
    Depends on what was ordered. GO HERE to find out what you have.
    4.56 with the 4 banger is a good ratio for street with some off-road. Ask TJMagoo here on the board, she has 33x12.5 and 4.56. She wishes sometimes she had 4.88, but I think that is more for her crawling.

second, with the larger tires, the speedo is off. i've heard that if the speedo isn't corrected, that messes up the shift points and various other things that can mess up fuel economy and performance. i'm looking at the tru-speed. would this be a good thing to purchase or should i just get the correct speedo gear?
    Get the correct speedo gear. It is like $5-10 for it and takes 5 min to do.

how many quarts of oil does the 4 cyl hold? i didn't get an owners manual with it, and i'd like to do an oil change too.
    Can't answer that one right now, I have the 6cyl, and that holds 6 qts. My owners manual is at home, so tomorrow I could get it, but someone else should have it handy before then.

in 98, is it a 3 speed or a 4 speed auto tranny? i thought it was a 4 speed, but all i see on the shifter is D, 2, 1.
    It is a 3 speed auto, the 4 speed came out in 2003

are there any other little perfomance parts i can purchase to help up the power a bit? i've heard of the 4.0 throttle body, and TB spacer. do they really help? on the hwy, i'm struggling to hit 60 on the speedo, even though it's incorrect.
    Don't know if the 4.0 intake will work with the air-raid intake, but not sure. Most what can be done sounds like it has been done.

can someone recommend some good brands of tune up items such as plugs (with gap), wires, etc... i don't want to go into the parts store and buy crap.
    Use Champion truck plugs. work the best, and from everything I have heard, the other "special" (Splitfire, Bosch +4 ect) plugs don't do anything more. Not sure off hand what the gap is.

sorry for the long post, i've been into mustangs all my life and know quite a bit about them, but jeeps are all new to me.

thanks for all your help.
    Not a problem, that is what we are here for.

Comment

gap = .035

As said abovem the Champion truck plugs seem to be the best bang for the buck.

I've tried several different sets of wires from different manufacturers. The stock MOPAR wires from the dealer have worked the best and lasted the longest so far though... by a big margin.

Comment

i'd definately recommend the 4.0L throttle body, i just put it on mine and really noticed a difference

Comment

thanks for the help guys. i'll definately be doing the normal tune up stuff ASAP as well as looking into that 4.0 TB. would someone happen to have a link to where i can find some info about doing the swap and where i can pick one up? now if i just knew what the oil capacity was....

Comment

they should be able to tell you where evere u get ur oil and filter

-goat

Comment

ok gotta throw my 2 cents in too...

first off Welcome aboard!!!

spark plugs... I bought autolite (sp?) and they work fine. They are the cheap plugs that often come in new cars.

remember if you correct your speedo and then change your gears... then your speedo is off again.

Cool websites for caculating some things:

rpm, tire height, gear ratio, displacement, CID-CL, CL-CID, Rod ratio, Horsepower
              http://www.randysringandpinion.com/calculators.shtml

gear ratio, tire change, metric tire conversion, ring and pinion, true MPH, and gear ratio/tire size table
              http://www.intercotire.com/html/calculators.htm

Comment

thanks for all the replies and help guys. i think i'm gonna go grab a speedo gear now for the tires and then another later for the gear change. it'll still be cheaper than the tru-speed. i looked at the tag on the diff cover and saw the 3.73 designation, so at least i know what i've got. i think 4.56 will work just fine for what i intend to do with the jeep. i'm still just a little concerned with mileage on the hwy though. even though the odo and trip are off, i'm getting 160 to a tank. i think i'll look at the 4.0 TB and TBS as well. just don't know where to pick one up yet.

oh and i see a lot of you run AR 767's. anyone have a pic of this wheel? i couldn't find one on their website. is it a "wagon-wheel" style wheel? i prefer the look of the bullet hole styles better. i may just see if the centerline hellcats i put on my dad's bronco will fit on the jeep. they've got the same size tires and are 15x10. thanks again.

Comment

Try www.hawaiistories.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

These folks are know their 4-Bangers and know how to get a 2.5L to perform.

Get a 4.0L TB from a boneyard. TJ or XJ trucks use the same TB. Check the sensor plugs, TBs before '96 won't work. The MAP sensor is on the firewall, you'll need one that has a MAP sensor on the TB. $40 is about the going price for a 4.0L TB.

For a look at the AR line of wheels, try www.wheelsforless.com/american_racing.asp

Comment

Working...
                  X