Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine someone with a bicycle chain trying to beat thier way out from under your hood. That's what it sounded like. At first...it just stalled out at the traffic light on the way to work. When I went to try to restart it, that's when it really sounded bad. No warning..no nothing. She'll be ready this afternoon though! Can't wait!

Comment

i built many high performance vw engines (watercooled) and i would stick to the manufacturers recomendation for a new car. not to maintain high speeds for long periods of time (keep it under 80) and not be constant on the throttle to vary speed. this worked for me.

as far as exploding engines i had a valve sticking through my hood and my intake exploded. gotta love nitrous!

Comment

I had an engine blow on an old Buick Skylark I was restoring, and it didn't look that bad. One of the connecting rods blew out the side of the block and left me sitting on the side of the road. Not a lot of fun to hear a hugh bang and see tons of smoke pouring out of the back of your ride.

Comment

I would agree with Texan and about half of yall. When ever we were breaking in a new or rebuilt engine, we would drive it under a load but not over 60mph. I would do this until I got about 500 miles on the odometer then it was broke in. On the other hand, when installing a new engine into one of the race cars or working with a real powerhorse, we would really run it. I mean close to how it is intended. But Keep in mind those engines only last us a year or two.

Comment

Thanks Everyone!

I just wanted to post the update on this thread....

The new motor is in and running like a champ. It's incredibly smoother than the old one. Less valvetrain noise I guess. I'm about 200 miles into the break-in. Can't wait to be done so I can flog it! I'm also breaking in my new Centerforce clutch. So far, I gotta say I love the new clutch! The pedal is SO much softer to press in. Thanks everyone for your comments and advise....and in case any one of you were thinking of throwing a bolt into your intake...I highly recommend NOT doing this.

Comment

i am doin a hard break in on my 361 and so far it is running good sept the vapor lock i am getting after bout 20 minutes of driving, i only have 200 miles on it and i still have some oil blow by on my plugs (plugs i broke it in with), i changed my fluid after cam break-in and again at 150 miles, the oil was almost clear at 150 miles, and it is still perfectly clear on the dipstick at 50 miles. i am am putting new plugs in it this weekend and hopefully goin to have my carb spacers and furl line insulation as well to get mine back on the road, specially since the 35's are goin on it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
              X