X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No parking brake on my CJ-5

I dont have a parking brake on my 68' CJ-5. Is this normal for the earlier ones, and can one be added or should i just watch where i park??

can anyone help me with this

Comment

We don't need no stinking...

Parking brake! I'm in the process of finishing my 75 CJ-5, and I am seriously considering leaving the PB off. I'll park where it's flat, leave it in gear, and keep a block of wood with me.

Haven't figured out how to mount the PB pedal assembly to fiberglas swithout it shearing off when I push down on it...

Comment

you could figure out a way to make a bracket for a pull up style parking break...just an idea, i saw someone do that for adune buggy

-goat

Comment

If you have a dana 18, you can add the drum where your rear drive shaft connects to the transfercase. I think you can buy everything you need to do it.

Comment

I know of 2 very good options.

1. get a pull handle style ebrake from a toyota or posibly nissan truck.(attaches to the bottom of the dash, you pull it to engage. realy good setup)

2. If you dont have any factory ebrake cables or anything, look through simot racing, jeggs.com or any other performance/race parts catalouge and pick up a "line lock. A line lock is basicaly a switch and solenoid valve thats installed with your current brake lines. to use it you press the brake pedal and hit the switch. This locks the pressure into the brake line until you disengage the switch. This also means you can have a 4-wheel E-brake with some serious hold instead of just at the rear wheels like factory.

Comment

On the back of the Xfer case you "should" see what looks like a brake drum where the driveshaft attaches. That is the parking brake.
              Try here for a more detailed explanation
              www.earlycj5.com
              HTH

Comment

You could always put a "LINE LOCK" in it. It is a lever spliced into the brakelines that keep pressure on the brakes when you want it to hold. :f

Comment

Sorry, I should have rear ALL the replys. Ueland
                  already suggested the LINE LOCK!!!

Comment

Like 61 cj5 said, the stock setup for the 68 if you want it... Is the drum brake mounted behind the transfer case. The "parking" brake handle mounts in the front corner under the cowl. The cable loops up through the firewall and the handle assembly mounts to the bottom of the dash just to the left of the steering colum. Should be a hole in that area for the mounting bolt.(bottom lip of the dash)

I've also heard of the line lock setup and from what I understand, it works good. Go for both

Comment

Working...
                    X