X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting a hardtop

whats up ladies, just came up on a khaki hardtop. thing is i have a black wrangler with black half doors and black denim sliders. is there any way i can like spray paint the top so it blends in a bit more with my TJ?

First Of All..

"ladies".. hum.. Anyway..

Your best bet is to swap it our with someone who is trying to get rid of a black hardtop. Seems only "fitting".

Although it maybe possible to paint the plastic on the hardtop I wouldn't recommend it. Also you could get it "wrapped" with some type of design, just another option.

Comment

The top is fiberglass.
      It's got paint on it now, since it starts "fiberglass" color.
      You're likely to have better results getting it painted at a shop than getting out rattlecans and trying to do it yourself though.

Comment

Yep, I would "touch up" a hardtop, but wouldn't re-paint it. I did paint my soft top though. I got a great deal on an unused "spice" soft top, but wanted a black one, so I bought vinyl specific spray paint, and couldn't be happier w/the results. It's been a few months now, and I've gone through some baking sun and thunderstorms, and it still looks good. If it did peel or flake though, I could just recoat it. So if you do want to paint your hardtop, browse ACE or Home Depot and see if thay make a forumlation specific for your application (fiberglass). I was surprised at all the different formulas for different surfaces. No matter what, prep work is key. Clean and dry!

Comment

Re:Painting a hardtop

Dude, if you have any skills at all you can paint your hardtop yourself. Guy

Comment

The CJ guys paint hard tops all the time. do a search in that forum.

Comment

thanks guys, ill try to trade it with someone first or sell it to get a black one. or maybe i should just sell it and use the money on a lift. jk but that could be a possibility. ill look around for the paint if no one wants to trade though.
              thanks for the advice guys

Comment

The operative word here is gel-coat. Used on boats and corvettes all over the world. Gel coat doesnt harden as brittle as auto paint and can stand the flex and resonance of a large fiberglass surface.

You wont find gel-coats in a can, but you could take it to a boat shop and theyd paint it pretty cheap.

Comment

Working...
                X