X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Libby

My wife finally believes me that her Ford Escape is the biggest piece of $#i+ on the planet and is now looking at trading it in on a Libby. I own 2 TJ's a CJ and my daughter has a YJ, I know nothing about Liberty's. She wants a used one to keep payments down, what to look for, maint. issues, anything that will help us shop, Thanks....

Look on lostkjs.com. Lots of good information on the kj's.

Comment

in buying a car there are lots of things to consider. the car model you want and the money that you wanna spend on it. it is also important to check all jeep liberty parts, its exterior and interior. Look for other damages inside and out including the mirrors, glasses, wheels, and the seats. This will ensure your driving safety and make sure that you purchased the right one. you may do a google search for more info about Liberty.. good luck mate..

Comment

I would reconsinder the libby.
        My Ex-wife (Yea, it feels good to say that!) bought one brand new in 06, around October of 05 I think was the purchase date. She played around with the idea of trading it in on something else around December of 06, she owned it for maybe 18 months. The car lot she purchased it from offered her 10k for the thing. The sticker on it was something like 26k.
        They just dont hold any kind of value.
        I have seen them off road and they are certainly more capable than the typical small SUV but...
        to me, they just seem like a death trap. So small. I can see being t-boned in one and having to be cut out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by avainaffairs
          I would reconsinder the libby.
          My Ex-wife (Yea, it feels good to say that!) bought one brand new in 06, around October of 05 I think was the purchase date. She played around with the idea of trading it in on something else around December of 06, she owned it for maybe 18 months. The car lot she purchased it from offered her 10k for the thing. The sticker on it was something like 26k.
          They just dont hold any kind of value.
          I have seen them off road and they are certainly more capable than the typical small SUV but...
          to me, they just seem like a death trap. So small. I can see being t-boned in one and having to be cut out of it.
          I've seen many totally wrecked KJs and the drivers have come out with little or no injury.

I just traded my 03 Liberty last week - got 12K. 10k for an 06?

Comment

Originally posted by priell3
            I just traded my 03 Liberty last week - got 12K. 10k for an 06?
            That was their offer...needless to say she thought the offer was pathetic and decided to not do it

Comment

I'm not sure about the brand new ones, but I know Liberty's have had ball joint issues from day 1.

Here's a thread on this site with alot of info about the Libby: http://forums.4wd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17435

Personally, I'd prefer an XJ over the Libby any day.

Comment

Have you looked at getting a JK Unlimited instead of a KJ? Not much difference in price, JK may be less.

Go to edmunds.com and do a comparison on the 2007 JK Unlimited, Liberty Sport and Escape.
                You'll see what you're getting for your money. I had a Liberty and I enjoyed it (and an XJ before that). The JK Unlimited is probably the best Jeep on the market today.
                Last edited by priell3; 05-19-2007, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by priell3
                  Have you looked at getting a JK Unlimited instead of a KJ? Not much difference in price, JK may be less.

Go to edmunds.com and do a comparison on the 2007 JK Unlimited, Liberty Sport and Escape.
                  You'll see what you're getting for your money. I had a Liberty and I enjoyed it (and an XJ before that). The JK Unlimited is probably the best Jeep on the market today.
                  I'm with priell on that one. I'd look at the JK over the Libby, too. That way, when she's ready for her next ride, you can take it as a hand-me-down, then lift it & wheel it. You might even be able to talk her into a Rubi, and then you'll really be set!

Looks like the JK X is about 2 grand less than the Libby Sport (which you probably wouldn't want the base model), and the JK Rubi is about 4 grand + more then the top of the line Libby.

Comment

I agree with the others, go with a JK. It actually has a lot more room and a is just as comfortable and drives and handles almost the same. But the JK has more durable parts, and far better aftermarket support.

Comment

Well, I just went agaisnt the grain here and added an 07 kj to my parking lot occupants. My reasons were simple. I wanted a vehicle (totally stock and to remain so) to do grocery-getter and dd to work. The libby fits the bill fairly well for that... price wasn't so bad, and was really a deal (got a sunroof more or less for free out of the deal) compared to what I was seeing for the Wrangler's costs.
                      We'll see how this goes... I don't expect this thing to do much more than skate back and forth to work.
                      The good news is now I can "retire" my TJ, so it doesn't have to have great highway manners anymore. And everyone knows what that means! Time for lift, etc. I can see the future, and it looks like a hole in my bank account!

Comment

LOL Yea, a big Jeep-shaped hole! Congrats on the new kj, and good luck keepin it stock. The way we are, if it has a Jeep emblem on it, it gets mods.

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee96
                          LOL Yea, a big Jeep-shaped hole! Congrats on the new kj, and good luck keepin it stock. The way we are, if it has a Jeep emblem on it, it gets mods.
                          Don't laugh... I've already found a source that has lifts for the stinkin' thing. It needs to stay stock so I can devote the mod-money to the TJ.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep
                            Don't laugh... I've already found a source that has lifts for the stinkin' thing. It needs to stay stock so I can devote the mod-money to the TJ.
                            2 piggy banks instead of one. You must be thinkin about it, at least subconciously, to be lookin. Gotcha!

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee96
                              2 piggy banks instead of one. You must be thinkin about it, at least subconciously, to be lookin. Gotcha!
                              I so hate it when women are right.

Yeah, I looked.
                              But I swear I didn't touch!

Comment

Working...
                              X