• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj fuel issue...

vehicle
    86 cj7 4.2 with howell fuel injection.

problem
    on the road the jeep is fine. at higher elevations and when doing some trail riding (especially downhill) gas starts dripping heavily out of the canister on the drivers side firewall. at the same time the engine light will periodically come on and off. but it will not store a code. these two problems may not be related. the lines are hooked up correctly and the jeep runs fine but the smell of gas isnt cool. any ideas?

if you have gas leaking out of your evap canister you probably have a vacuum problem...it could have been during the change over to fuel injection...how is your canister hooked up now with the FI?..you could be pulling raw gas from the tank through the vent...also how is your fuel return line hooked up?...i personally dont have fuel injection but im sure with a little info some of the guys on here could hook that up for ya

Comment

I had that problem when I put in an after market fuel tank. When the tank was full and a short drive would build up pressure in the tank. Then it would drip out of the charcoal canister.

When I replace the frame years ago I checked the vent line and it was plugged with charcoal. It had stopped leaking so I left it that way, I have plugged the line now and removed the canister. You might try a vented cap to keep the pressure from building up in the tank.

Comment

yeah i was thinking of plugging it off and using a vented cap but once emissions check comes back around ill have to put it back together. ill check for plugger lines first. thanx

Comment

where is your carb bowl vent plugged into now?

do you have a fuel return line?

Comment

i checked the lines and they are connected exactly as howell eng. wants them hooked up to the canister. checked the lines and they are clear. oh and we recently replaced the gas tank and sender. im guessing a new canister would do the trick but the vented cap idea sounds better to me as it would fix an issue i have with another jeep as well.

does anyone know a part number for a vented cap that will work. or if i need to replace the filler neck what vehicle should i get one from. going to the junk yards this weekend so let me know.

Comment

Working...
            X