X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gears

I have a 87 yj with a 4" lift and 33" tires and i am running stock 3.07 gears. what should i go to???

I think that my preference would be a set of 4.11s. It'll give you preety good crawl speed and with overdrive you should keep up with highway speeds easily.

Comment

stick or automatic? how much highway? what type of off road?

Comment

First of all I would not put any money into a Dana 35. I'd look for a Ford 8.8 with 4:10 gears and find a Dana 30 from a Yj with 4:10 gears.
        other things you can do a old Ford Bronco 9" (66-77) or a Scout Dana44 rear end both the 9" and Dana 44 will have a CJ bolt pattern so use wheel spaces to go from the CJ 5on 5 1/2
        to a Yj 5 on 4 1/2.

Comment

The 4.10's I have in my 94 with a manual tranny won't pull the 33 inch tires in 5th gear, going to 4.88's. I'm also upgrading the rear axle to a dana 44 because I'm a huge fan of the skinny pedal and don't want the lower gears to snap axles in the dana 35...

Comment

I went straight to 4.88s (biggest thing you can stuff in a 35) and I still have issues on 33s. Albeit its a 2.5L on a stick.

Comment

Dont know if you are still running the 307's. I haven't been on the site for a long period of time. My experience with my 94 with 33s 5 speed (now) and 2.5, I went with 488's. Great off roading down hills with no brake pedal. and most times tappin skinny pedal to keep it running.Unless you have the other diffs available(read cheap) I would build what you have and take care of it too.

Comment

IMO if you have 3.07 stock you have a 6cyl so in that case, I would say 4.56.

Comment

I have 4.56 in my 91YJ with the 6 cyl 5 speed and it works great. It crawls nicely with 33 or 35 inch tires and will run 65 down the road easily.

Comment

Working...
                  X