X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Mechanics Glove

I'm wondering what you guys think are the best mechanics gloves out there. Usually I like to work with a pair of nitrile gloves but wearing them for a few days at the temps we've been seeing has led to a heat rash on the back of my hands. So I'm hoping to pick up a pair of mechanics gloves that will absorb some of the sweat and breath a little better...er at all...that is

I use nitriles only when working with grease or nasty parts. I like the Mechanix brand gloves. I've used them, off-brands and other higher-cost ones (HardWear or some such like that. Got them at at a Big R ranch supply store). They all wear out fairly fast, but the cheapos are so bad I won't buy them any more.

Used to have to wear nitirles daily at work. You can put them on then cut out the back. They don't last as long, but I wasn't buying them. Try baby powder.

Comment

Not that anyone thinks of me as a mechanic... but I use the cotton jersey gloves, no brand, five pair for a few bucks... when they get too nasty, I can toss them.
      I don't know enough about mechanic's gloves to be much help, but as long as you're thinking of going spendy, look for some decent ones. I know police gloves (pat down gloves) come in all sorts of kevlar-reinforced and gore-tex combos. Think I've seen some mechanic's gloves with similar configurations offered (reason it stuck in my memory was my thought was 'hey, police gloves!').

Comment

I'm with Tom on the brown cotton Jersey throw away gloves. For heavey work I wear leather.

Comment

http://www.shockergloveco.com/gloves.html
          http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/.../d_5337-01.jpg

Comment

As a diabetic, I'm always getting scrapes on my hands so gloves are a must! I used to wear cheap medical type gloves at a past job and I brought some home for use when I handling chemicals for my yard, pesticides and grass killer and such. When I raise my hands the sweat would just pour outta the gloves. I find Mechanix gloves from Walmart to do fairly well and my hands don't seem to sweat as much, or maybe the gloves soak it up. The only problems I have with gloves are small or delicate work with my finger tips when I need good dexterity. I don't have great feeling in my finger tips and the gloves really cuts it down to next to nothing. If I'm trying to thread a screw in, in a spot where you reach up and over and can't see and doing everything by feel, the gloves come off.
            However the ShockerGloves look good and the price is about the same as Mechanix at Walmart, but add in the shipping and I wonder how much it adds to the price. And if there is a minimum order.
            Last edited by mcmurry; 07-12-2009, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back guys. I ended up over at sears today to pick up a new set of flare wrenches (dang harbor freight set kept stripping the brake lines I was replacing) and picked up a pair of their mid range glove for 20 bucks or so. Seem nice and the dexterity is pretty good. Could pick up a washer off the concrete without problem. Didn't get to wear them long with all the old brake fluid, had to go back to the nitrile to get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by mdwatkins View Post
                Thanks for the feed back guys. I ended up over at sears today to pick up a new set of flare wrenches (dang harbor freight set kept stripping the brake lines I was replacing) and picked up a pair of their mid range glove for 20 bucks or so. Seem nice and the dexterity is pretty good. Could pick up a washer off the concrete without problem. Didn't get to wear them long with all the old brake fluid, had to go back to the nitrile to get the job done.
                Lesson learned a long time ago. Buy the best tools ya can afford. When ya chump on the price the tools will chump you. Takes a lifetime to put a good toolbox together. Still workin on mine, want a good set of rachet box wrenches.

Comment

Not sure about the cost but my wifey bought me a pair of the craftsman gloves, I have been using them for about a year now, working on the vehicles and I use them for yard work and home maintenance also. Seem to be holding up pretty good so far.

Comment

My team and I use mechanix wear gloves. Love them, no problems and they wash up very nice too.

Comment

Mechanix M-Pact 2's

Comment

I use mechanics gloves also.
                        I have found they have specialty gloves. I have several pairs in my tool box.
                        I also found out they do not hold up well to cleaning chemicals at all.

Comment

seems that lots of us here use mechanics gloves. been using it for quite sometime. been comfortable with it.

http://storeyourpicture.com/images/signature_4wheel.jpg

Comment

i use latex gloves at work, they fit better than nitrile ones, almost like wearing nothing. i take em off for some jobs as they get hung up on things. you can get cut pretty good thru any latex, nitrile or vinyl glove without harming the glove, on sharp stuff it seems to be worse than no glove at all.
                            as for the dirt bike type mechanics gloves they're great for working in your yard, but for working on cars you may as well have on mittens. and they are just plain dangerous when working with air guns. people lose fingers when they get caught in the gun. a half inch air gun will spin your fingers right off, i jammed my fingers on my right hand once wearing a latex glove and saw a guy tear a brown glove off his hand with a 1/2 inch gun...along with two of his finger nails.
                            i could see the dirt bike type glove being useful in cold weather where your skin will cut so easy, and for on the trail winching and things. i guess what i'm saying is get em all. nitriles for use when cleaning parts and prepping (latex will swell up), latex for the disassembly/reassembly, and the dirt bike type glove for the towing and hauling + whatever else. the brown glove are for weirdos, lol, jk, buy em in bulk and put a pair everywhere you might need some gloves.

Comment

OK Capt. I'm a weirdo. When the anti seize is flying while repacking a high temp. high pressure valve, the cotton works great. Throw away when done and still enough flexibility for detail work. Keep the leather for hot and heavey work. If its not to hot to handle, and no chance of knuckle busting or cuts, bare hands are always the bestest. Its an age thing. I hate busting a knuckle or gettin a burn.

Comment

Working...
                              X