X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical help!!

I'm trying to get my Jeep started after sitting for four years....I've prepped the engine for starting , but I'm having an electrical problem that I need help with. I've charged the old battery and it reads 11.89 volts. I connected the battery and checked the lights.... only the running lights work. No headlights. Not even a glow from them. The starter doesnt make a sound. Winch only clicks. Hooked up an emergency starter battery to it and the only thing that works is the winch. I've cleaned all the grounds thinking that I had a bad ground. So, if the battery reads 11.89, does this mean that it has full charge??? The winch is hooked up directly so I would think that It should work... So if the battery is weak, then wouldnt the headlights at least glow? The battery is old, but after charging , it reads good. What am I missing? Could a battery that measures a correct voltage be bad?
    Any suggestions will be helpful......

an 11.89 reading on a battery is slightly low. an average volt reading on a good battery is 12.3-12.5. however, even at that you should have something else than what you do. what is the year, model and engine of what you have?

Comment

I've got a 77 CJ-5 with the 258 six. The winch is hooked directly to the posts, so it seems that the battery is too low to run it. But with the voltage that I have wouldnt I get a little light out of the headlights?

Comment

You can have a battery that has the Proper voltage that is still bad. The current draw is where things are powered. If the battery will not hold a charge it is bad. Put your meter on while you are cranking see what you get. If the battery is 3 or 4 years old and has not been used it is Probaly bad. Hope this helps
        Ron

Comment

A couple of other things to check are the battery cables themselves. Make sure the connection to the starter is good. Corroded cable could be a problem. When you put the volt meter on the battery and try to start it if the volts go below 9v if it does get a new battery.
          Last edited by Sccafire; 11-25-2006, 10:24 PM.

Comment

I was wondering if a battery that registered good volts could still be bad. So that does make sense that it would read ok on the voltmeter but still not be able to give me the juice to power any of the high draw items like the winch,starter or headlights. Looks like time for a new battery.
            Thanks for all the replies.... Rick

Comment

Rick batteries have cells inside wich are divided up. My guess is you have some bad cells. it will hold a charge and some things will operate but when you go to draw a lot of amps out of it (like starting or headlights) your only getting help form persay 2 good cells and 4 bad cells instead of all 6 cells.

Comment

Do the running lights stay on when you try to crank?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Rick
                  I'm trying to get my Jeep started after sitting for four years....I've prepped the engine for starting , but I'm having an electrical problem that I need help with. I've charged the old battery and it reads 11.89 volts. I connected the battery and checked the lights.... only the running lights work. No headlights. Not even a glow from them. The starter doesnt make a sound. Winch only clicks. Hooked up an emergency starter battery to it and the only thing that works is the winch. I've cleaned all the grounds thinking that I had a bad ground. So, if the battery reads 11.89, does this mean that it has full charge??? The winch is hooked up directly so I would think that It should work... So if the battery is weak, then wouldnt the headlights at least glow? The battery is old, but after charging , it reads good. What am I missing? Could a battery that measures a correct voltage be bad?
                  Any suggestions will be helpful......
                  Take your battery to a parts store and have them test it under a load it will show immediately if it's bad 4 yrs sitting equals a dead battery.

Comment

This battery has been in this jeep for years as it sat. I didnt figure that it would be usable, but I thought I'd give it a try. When it took a charge I thought I could use it. It only powers the running lights,no headlights,starter... dont know much about batteries, but I knew someone here would. I'm going to save my pennies and get a yellow top Optima. Thanks again for all the help guys.... I'll post pics when I get the old gal running. Rick

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Rick
                      This battery has been in this jeep for years as it sat. I didnt figure that it would be usable, but I thought I'd give it a try. When it took a charge I thought I could use it. It only powers the running lights,no headlights,starter... dont know much about batteries, but I knew someone here would. I'm going to save my pennies and get a yellow top Optima. Thanks again for all the help guys.... I'll post pics when I get the old gal running. Rick

save your money and forget about the yellow top goodness for a while...yor jeep has been sitting for four years, its time to give it a good once over...im only saying this because i recently pulled mine form my buddies back yard (after nine years not being street legal, and 5 never being driven) and i have found a lot of little things that i want to replace more than i want an optima battery (although they do rock)...so please, change all your fluids, put some water remover, gas treatment and carb cleaner in your tank with some good gas, check your belts hoses, vacuum lines ect...trust me...your gonna find something

Comment

Check your fusible link. If it goes bad, nothing works, even with a good battery.

Comment

Working...
                        X