X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Swap... 2.5L 4Cyl to a GM 4.3L V6

I have a GM 4.3L fuel injected V6 that I would love to stuff under the hood of my 1992 Wrangler. Would I be better off keeping the Fuel injection or, switching it over to a carburator? I have the AX15 trans... can this trans handle the power of a 220-240HP V6? I heard that some of the newer 180HP 4.0L TJ's have the AX15. Is that true?
    I guess a better question is, if I make my engine swap and keep the AX15 trans, what if I end up having the trans go bad on me? Can I just replace the AX15 with a stronger direct replacement trans? if so. what kind?

I will stop at that for now... I have a ton of questions's.. to many to list!

Thanks...

if u switch over to a carb.....i can help u there, i wasnt bout to try and keep the fuel injection, bc i had an engine less the computer, and the throttle body and intake were crap.....the T4 i have has withstood my engine thus far, but i have not done anywheeling....the T4 is a light duty tranny....what was done to this V6 to make it 220? Is it a vortec? Vortec's have different heads and the old style intakes for carbs will not fit onto a vortec

-goat

Comment

the ax15 will handle a 6.. "some people" claim it will handle an 8 but then again "some people" actualy thought the gremlin was a realy good car.

as far as the fuel injection, I say keep it if ya got it. Fuel injection seems to be far superior to carbs in off camber situations and higher elevations. If you enjoy messin with float valves and adjsuting carbs.. then go for it.. otherwise, stick with the fuel injection.

Comment

Goat..... First of all I would like to make a correction to my original posting. I listed the V6 as having 220-240HP, that should have been 220-240ft lbs of torque. I am not sure of my HP from 4.3L, but it is a very strong engine. I helped rebuilt it 12,000 miles ago and I went with the complete edelbrock performer package. I had the block bored 50 thou.. and had a 3 angle valve grind on the heads. highrise intake and modified my air induction. That is when I noticed the biggest difference in performance!
        How has the 4.3L worked out for you as a powerplant in your Jeep? What do you have for gears? I was told that I have 4:11 gears by the guy that I bought my Jeep from.

Ueland.... I have an 1988 S10 that just seen its final rear-end! It is working out great as a temporary holding spot for my 4.3L. I would like to keep the 4.3 fuel injected however I dont know how to go about all of the wiring? do I cut and splice or contact painless wiring and get a $$$ harness?

Comment

my 4.3 was worked very well for me....i have less than 500 on the engine though......i had a massive oil leak there for a while, we thought it was the rear main, while it contributed just a little bit, but the rear problem was a plug in the rear that fell of with a 1/8 twist of it. As for gears, I dont know, i havent gone down to look at the tag...I had the 151 Iron Duke. I also have a High rise intake, with a 600 cfm edlebrock....it has a bit of giddy up....i want to downsize a bit to a smaller carb, i think 600 is a bit much.

Now...since i had the Iron Duke, my install was pretty straight foward, order the mounts, get the flywhell machined......install....the rest of the wiring and stuff was not hard at all......also i took the starter off the 4.3 gutted it, and put all the insides that were in the duke starter to get it to work right

-goat

Comment

Working...
          X