X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing leaf springs 92 YJ

I will be helping a guy in our club with replacing his leaf springs on his 92 YJ. Any and all thoughts that will help with this project would be much appreciated.

Just in case it is not obvious.......Start soaking the nuts and bolts ASAP with WD-40 or PB Blaster.... soak early and soak often

Comment

It should go really easy. Jack-stands, floor-jack, impact wrench, torque wrench, grease for bushings. Just be careful under there, I had the wife's car about crush me the other day, sliding off of the jack-stands. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Kadien View Post
        Just in case it is not obvious.......Start soaking the nuts and bolts ASAP with WD-40 or PB Blaster.... soak early and soak often
        Forget the WD-40. Us PB Blaster or some other PENETRANT. The sooner you can start and as stated "soak early and soak often", the easier the job will be.

Comment

I know about the PB Blaster will need to do the front for sure. He just had a Currie put in the rear a few months ago. I don't think thats going to be a problem there.

Thanks all for the help!

Comment

hardest part is gonna be removing the hanger bolts. they have a tendancy to become one with the bushing sleve and will try to refuse to come out. you can try a hammer, but the best bet might be to keep the sawzall handy or some air tools to cut the bolt short enough just to fall out of the mount with the leaf spring.

Comment

we just started replacing the springs in my yj again... and running into some of the same problems which as stated was the hanger bolts on the frames. We had to heat em up till just about cherry and give them a crank with a breaker bar. When I originally did the project we ended up cutting off one of the bolts so just be ready with a breaker bar and some heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ueland View Post
                hardest part is gonna be removing the hanger bolts. they have a tendancy to become one with the bushing sleve and will try to refuse to come out. you can try a hammer, but the best bet might be to keep the sawzall handy or some air tools to cut the bolt short enough just to fall out of the mount with the leaf spring.
                The same thing happend to me when I was taking off the leaf springs, the sawzall made life easy.

Comment

ok I will keep that in mind I have good air tools and a sawsall

Comment

Like everyone else says PB, torch, and if you have a u-joint press that might help to press out the bolts if the bushings have fused. Otherwise a center punch and lots of drill bits to drill the center through and keep going up larger bits.

If you have a cutting torch or plasma and don't want to keep the old springs just cut carefully. Eat the whole thing out.

Buy the biggest freaking hammer you can swing.

Comment

Just use a grinder with a cutting wheel. I just cut off my old u-bolts and hanger bolts it took me all of 5 minutes to do all of them. New ubolts and hanger bolts were $25.00.

Comment

well, how did it go? I think we all know that siezed up bolts suck and how to get around it, but you are prolly past that by now.

Comment

Were going to replace the springs on Sunday the 2nd. I will let you all know how it went.

Comment

Working...
                          X