Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any hog huntes here?

Gentlemen,

As a child, I chased mice and squirrles with a Daisy BB gun. Now I like to shoot birds (turkey, quail, dove, pheasant, even armadillos) with a 12ga Benelli pump. I never could bring myself to shoot a deer (I think), so I never purchased a rifle.

However, I've been thinking about hog hunting since I can use a hand gun or put slugs in my shotgun. It sounds like a hell of a lot of fun and action-packed. Another plus is that there's no season you have to wait for!

Any of y'all done it? If it wasn't for you, why not?

They dont allow you to hunt deer with rifles up here...just shotguns...

But I've never really considered it...I hunt small game with my pump 20 Ga and my bolt .22 but I've been looking into a 12 Ga or a centerfire rifle for awhile now, so I might consider it pretty soon.

Comment

Just don't go alone...

a pi$$ed off hog is something to be reckoned with. you miss or wound it enough not to bring it down... and it'll do a number on you.
      (I'm an old Arkansas Razorbacker... we know pigs... even though we have the misfortune to marry a few of them)

Comment

personally if i were u and wanted to start hog hunting, i would go to academy sporting goods, or some other and purchase a .223, way easier with a rifle.

i just purchased a Rossi .223, with the 20ga. interchangeable barrel, for $190 at academy,,,,

that way u'll get the rilfe and shotgun,

then get u a scope mounted say another 100 or so for a good scope, and ur done.......

personally i dont like hunting hogs, because it's to easy to put a feeder out and have them attack it, when it goes off

also with the .223 u'll have enough knock down power for even deer.....and if it is ur first rilfe the shells are cheap u can get a box for around 2 bucks...to get try it out before hunting

Comment

Originally posted by maximumrob
          Gentlemen,

As a child, I chased mice and squirrles with a Daisy BB gun. Now I like to shoot birds (turkey, quail, dove, pheasant, even armadillos) with a 12ga Benelli pump. I never could bring myself to shoot a deer (I think), so I never purchased a rifle.

However, I've been thinking about hog hunting since I can use a hand gun or put slugs in my shotgun. It sounds like a hell of a lot of fun and action-packed. Another plus is that there's no season you have to wait for!

Any of y'all done it? If it wasn't for you, why not?

hahaha hog hunting with a pistol and a shotgun??? good luck! Those hogs are tufffffffffff and they are really smart!! In order to hog hunt you are going to need a rifle unless you are a great stalker and can sneak up on them! Tips would be to stalk the hogs with dogs if you have them if not then guess and miss but I am telling you if you don't have just thick brush you won't get to close to them unless you are sitting in a stand. It's reallyyyy fun if you have alot of people with rifles because everyone gets a chance to show off their shot. but be careful hogs don't like to be shot at and so they run and if you are just following through your scope you might not see the person standing beside you. We go all the time here in south texas but it usually at night when we are spot lighting they are so smart that they won't look into the light! haha makes it tough to see them! If you want more info message me! goodluck and have fun! but unless you plan on chasing a hog with your jeep and hanging out the side to shoot it with a shot gun or your pistol i don't think they will be much of a weapon

Comment

hogs are mean and will tear you up if you dont kill em, and if you get confronted by a family, you are screwed if you aint quick, you kill one the rest will come after ya. i use a 870 super mag with slugs, or the ole' 30/30 winchester lever action. my side arm is a springfield 1911a1 high capacity .45...i have seen a .223 hit a hog and just piss him off!
            clay

Comment

must have been one hell of a hog, because i've took 2 hogs with a .223, but then again,

u have to know where to hit them, and were not.

just like a deer,, everone says to shoot right behind the front shoulder,,,,

i rather neck shots, were they drop right there

Comment

I've never hog hunted but must admit I like the idea of hunting something that may want to fight back. I have killed plenty of birds..turkeys to doves. My favorite hunting is ducks. They dont fight back but they are smart and difficult to kill (mostly due to the steel shot rule). By the way my shotgun of choice is my baretta urika.

Comment

Down in South Texas, a223 will kill them if you hit the ear canal. Other than that, it probably won't penetrate the "shield". I got one yesterday with a 600 while catching deer.

Comment

well see, here in texas, them hogs are mean, and i aint kidding. i dont know what makes em so much tougher, but after my buddy hit him witha .223 the little thing turned and came at us full tilt, i hit hit square in the face with a slug and it knocked him down, but he was still barely hanging in there, had to pop one in his neck to finish him off. maybe it was just this one pig, but i do know that ever since then i have kept my shotty loaded to the hilt when i take it, and i will not use anything smaller then a .30 cal as my primary weapon.
                    clay

Comment

don't know what kind of .223 yall shooting ,but this one'll go thru a good size tree

Comment

remington 700 .223 police rifle is what he had, i have a bushmaster A3 comp gun, 20" heavy barrel, 1:7 twist, etc. etc. what grade ammo you use...what kind of tip, fmj, jhp,etc.

Comment

the only ammo , i do use is hornady, interbond, either a 150 or 160 use hornady interbond in all of my rilfes find when it hits it mushrooms to hell, thats the reason i hate a ballistic tip, most i have shot at gave, before finding the interbond, went straight thru , and we had to track for hours

Comment

no whow much is a box of 20....i can get good premium 30/30 for like 12 bux a box of 20 and slugs for 4 bux a box of 5...so why would i even want to risk it. my ar will reach out a touch someone at 1000 plus yards, but everyone knows it dont have to stopping power as an equivalent in .30 cal, or a 12 guage slug. you can use em on your hogs, but if you come over to texas and go into the panhandle or what not, you need to bring a bigger gun...otherwise you need to know how to climb a tree fairly well...
                            clay

Comment

spokin like a TRUE texan,,"the bigger the gun the better"

when

the true statement should be hit'em good and hit'em hard, then forget about chaseing

Comment

Working...
                              X