X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Founder of Crips, Executed in Cali.

Twas the night before Christmas and all through San Quentin, the crips were protesting, and liberals were ventin'.

The cyanide hung by the chamber wth care, in hopes that the reaper soon would be there.

The inmates were nestled all snug in their bed ; except for Old Tookie, who soon would be dead.

And me with my beer mug, dressed warm in my flannell, had curled up to watch it, on the Fox News Channel.

I set up my TIVO to record the news station, and thoroughly loved the momentous occasion.

It seemed lady justice had gotten her way, and that there would be one less savage today.

When outside the jail there arose such a clatter, the cameras had turned to see what was the matter.

When what to my civilized eyes did appear, but a lineup of actors, all liberal, half queer.

The misguided freaks drew some curious looks, as they proclaimed his innocence; clutching his books.

The tears then flew out from Sarandon's eyes, as she nominated him again for the Nobel Peace Prize.

The actors were tethered to an ACLU sleigh, all towing the line of the urban decay.

On Asner, on Penn, on liberal cop-haters, On Sharpton, on Jesse and other race-baiters.

Then at 3:01 all curled up like a beetle, Tookie cried like a ***** as they gave him the needle.

When up from the actors there arose such a cry, they had failed in their mission, and Tookie DID DIE !!

I heard Bill O'Reilly say, as I turned out my light, Merry Christmas to all ... there was justice tonight !!

The mighty pen...

Well done, Angry Squirrels... I nominate you as the forum's Poet Laureate.

Comment

Good

We are about to thin out Mississippi's death row too.

A MISSISSIPPI DEATH ROW INMATE WHO WANTED GOV. HALEY BARBOUR TO SPARE HIS LIFE HAS BEEN DENIED CLEMENCY. 77-YEAR-OLD JOHN NIXON IS SCHEDULED TO DIE WEDNESDAY FOR THE 1985 MURDER OF VIRGINIA TUCKER OF BRANDON. OFFICIALS SAY TUCKER'S EX-HUSBAND HIRED NIXON TO KILL HER.

IN THE PAST 20 YEARS. NIXON FILED SEVERAL APPEALS ASKING OFFICIALS TO LET HIM LIVE. BUT THE GOVERNOR DENIED NIXON'S FINAL REQUEST SAYING, "AS GOVERNOR I TAKE THE OBLIGATION OF REVIEWING A REQUEST FOR CLEMENCY VERY SERIOUSLY". AND, UPON REVIEW, I FIND NOTHING TO CONVINCE ME THAT CLEMENCY IS JUSTIFIED IN THIS CASE".

NIXON WILL BE PUT TO DEATH BY LETHAL INJECTION AT THE MISSISSIPPI STATE PENITENTIARY AT PARCHMAN. HE WILL BE THE OLDEST PERSON IN THE UNITED STATES PUT TO DEATH SINCE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT WAS REINSTATED IN 1976.

Comment

Takin' out the trash all over... must be trash pickup week here in the good ol' US of A!

Comment

I'm all for killing people who deserve it,,,

I think life in a prisons a worse punishment, like stuck in a black hole with no light, and bread and water 7 days a week..

Comment

Originally posted by Piginajeep
            I'm all for killing people who deserve it,,,

I think life in a prisons a worse punishment, like stuck in a black hole with no light, and bread and water 7 days a week..
            very wise. i do agree with the death penalty. i don't agree with lethal injection that's painless. these people have OBVIOUSLY done something to deserve death. let's not make it nice for them. they're getting the DEATH PENALTY! give it to them right. let's bring back old sparky as we call her in east texas.
            (i got relatives in huntsville hehe. my mom grew up there and said that when they electricuted someone the lights would dim, if someone was wearing a hat they'd take it off, bow their head and then shout for joy! crazy texans)

but seriously they deserve the chair if they deserve death. that would prevent some murders, not all by any means, but some.

also, life in jail would suck. i honestly would rather be shot quickly in the head and get it over with.

Comment

Originally posted by Piginajeep
              If life in prision is so bad, then why are there so many repeat offenders?

They get three squares, associate with sh_ts like themselves, free medical, dental, optical and free education (why do you think we have so many crooked lawyers, they started out as jailbirds). They get exercise equipment and sports equipment. Plus they have legal rights that there victims don't have.

Now if they got put in a black hole with no light, then that would be different and suitable punishment.

It is estimated it costs $70,000 a year, per inmate, to keep this human garbage in prision.

I'd be glad to serve on a firing squad and knowingly want the live bullet to use. It would give me a lot of satisfaction.
              Last edited by rstarch345; 12-13-2005, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rstarch345

I'd be glad to serve on a firing squad and knowingly want the live bullet to use. It would give me a lot of satisfaction.
                I like the way you think,
                its not bad enough, thats why there repeat offenders,

Courts dont help either, they dont wanna deal with minor offenses, that in itself makes for more criminals.

how about the guy that was hung in Singapore recently, that was just for selling drugs, if we had punishment like them, we would not have so many problems, hell I might be out of a job..

Comment

They get three squares, associate with sh_ts like themselves, free medical, dental, optical and free education (why do you think we have so many crooked lawyers, they started out as jailbirds). They get exercise equipment and sports equipment. Plus they have legal rights that there victims don't have.

Now if they got put in a black hole with no light, then that would be different and suitable punishment.

It is estimated it costs $70,000 a year to keep this human garbage in prision.

Actually most studies show that life in prison is cheaper than the death penalty. For example:
                  "A Duke University study found... "The death penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the costs of a non-death penalty murder case with a sentence of imprisonment for life." ( The costs of processing murder cases in North Carolina / Philip J. Cook, Donna B. Slawson ; with the assistance of Lori A. Gries. [Durham, NC] : Terry Sanford Institute of Public Policy, Duke University, 1993. )

"The death penalty costs California $90 million annually beyond the ordinary costs of the justice system - $78 million of that total is incurred at the trial level." (Sacramento Bee, March 18, 1988 ).

"A 1991 study of the Texas criminal justice system estimated the cost of appealing capital murder at $2,316,655. In contrast, the cost of housing a prisoner in a Texas maximum security prison single cell for 40 years is estimated at $750,000." (Punishment and the Death Penalty, edited by Robert M. Baird and Stuart E. Rosenbaum 1995 p.109 )

"Florida spent an estimated $57 million on the death penalty from 1973 to 1988 to achieve 18 executions - that is an average of $3.2 million per execution."
                  (Miami Herald, July 10, 1988 ).

"Florida calculated that each execution there costs some $3.18 million. If incarceration is estimated to cost $17000/year, a comparable statistic for life in prison of 40 years would be $680,000."
                  (The Geography of Execution... The Capital Punishment Quagmire in America, Keith Harries and Derral Cheatwood 1997 p.6)

Figures from the General Accounting Office are close to these results. Total annual costs for all U.S. Prisons, State and Federal, was $17.7 billion in 1994 along with a total prison population of 1.1 million inmates. That amounts to $16100 per inmate/year.
                  (GOA report and testimony FY-97 GGD-97-15 )

From this; the cost of keeping a 25-year-old inmate for 50 years at present amounts to $805,000. Assuming 75 years as an average life span, the $805,000 figure would be the cost of life in prison. So roughly it's costing us $2 million more to execute someone than it would cost to keep them in jail for life."
                  That being said... I don't think this issue is really about money. The point of the justice system is at least a three-point arguement I think:

1) punish those who break the law (and attempt to rehabilitate)
                  2) protect others from these people who break the law
                  3) attempt to deter others from breaking the same law

I think most would agree that while prison life seems ok at first glance (meals and housing free of charge and some entertainment... dental care and medical care is not as great as you might think... my neighbor is a dentist and works at the prison once a month... their only treatment options are usually simply to pull a tooth that hurts or has a cavity) it really can drive you crazy not having any real freedom... someone tells you when to eat, when to bathe, when to go to bed, and when to get up. So being in prison is a punishment. I would agree that prison life could be made more difficult but that could make rehabilitation more difficult. With many prisoners being repeat offenders it is probably an indicator that the rehabilitation phase if failing. Maybe there should be a 3 strikes and you're out rule. End up in prison 3 times and you get to stay there regardless of the infractions.

As long as the offenders are in prison I think we are somewhat protecting the general public. So on the first two points, I think the criminal justice system is basically doing what it should.

The third point of trying to "scare" or deter other would-be criminals I think you are up-against it there. See I think everyone in their right mind should be scared of prison or the death penalty or any real punishment. But the one big catch here is that you have to be caught to get punished. Most people who do anything wrong (whether it is against the law, or against company policy at work, or against the marriage to your wife ) assume and believe they will never get caught otherwise they would not do it. I don't know how you can ever change that line of thinking... it is a natural thought process, sit down and watch little kids playing... oftentimes before one kids slugs another or takes another one's toys they look around to see if any authority figure is watching. If not they take it... if someone is watching then they wait until they think nobody is watching. Very rarely is a crime commited where the person truely believes they will get caught so the thought of punishment never enters the equation.

So my thinking is this... kill as many people as you like with the death penalty, but never think for one moment that it will deter anybody from committing murder or rape or any other offense (regardless of the method used to carry out the death penalty). And realize this... only 1001 people have been executed since the death penalty was reinstated by the Supreme Court in 1976 as a legal punishment. And how many murders, rapes, and other death crimes have been commited since then? The death penalty only provides for part 1 and 2 of the points. It still fails on part 3. So if life in prison and death penalty both accomplish part 1 and 2 and neither accomplishes point number 3... it seems to me you should choose the cheaper option which happens to be life in prison.

I have to say, I am neither for nor against the death penalty, not that I am really undecided... I just think there are many issues and many circumstances that need to be considered. I can put up an arguement for it or against it.

Comment

Cheaper to kill em

It is estimated it costs $70,000 a year, per inmate, to keep this human garbage in prision.
                    I know not everyone is for the death penalty. I'm a redneck so my side on that was known at birth. What really bothered me was all the folks slamming the Governor. I don't think they realize that if he pardons this guy he is mocking the justice system. He wasn't the one who issued the death penalty to this jackass. He shouldn't be expected to over rule the judge and jury who decided the fate of that murderer.

My 2 cents

Comment

I always thaught the Governor was a jackass,

He earned my respect on this one...

Comment

Originally posted by jeffm3434
                        So my thinking is this... kill as many people as you like with the death penalty, but never think for one moment that it will deter anybody from committing murder or rape or any other offense (regardless of the method used to carry out the death penalty). And realize this... only 1001 people have been executed since the death penalty was reinstated by the Supreme Court in 1976 as a legal punishment. And how many murders, rapes, and other death crimes have been commited since then? The death penalty only provides for part 1 and 2 of the points. It still fails on part 3. So if life in prison and death penalty both accomplish part 1 and 2 and neither accomplishes point number 3... it seems to me you should choose the cheaper option which happens to be life in prison.
                        If it didn't take 20 years to kill them, it would be more of a deterrent.

As long as these bums know and are allowed to use the system they violated to appeal (that's where the extra 2 million comes in) their sentence, there would be a difference.

Death, jail, or public punishment has never deterred the would-be criminal, but those countries with the harshest punishment have the fewest crimes.

Comment

The legal process is too slow on the appeal process. Needs to take no longer than a year. Then on to public hangings. On TV. Bring back chain gangs and work farms. No more conditioned air. Let them sweat. No more entertainment inside(except to watch hangings).Down here, the inmates out in the fields don't have to work in weather warmer than 85 or colder than 45. On a south Texas summer day, they go in about 10 AM. I was oilfield and worked all day. Pi$$ed me off.

Comment

If it didn't take 20 years to kill them, it would be more of a deterrent.

As long as these bums know and are allowed to use the system they violated to appeal (that's where the extra 2 million comes in) their sentence, there would be a difference.

Death, jail, or public punishment has never deterred the would-be criminal, but those countries with the harshest punishment have the fewest crimes.
                            Those countries usually have the strictest gun and weapon laws too, which could also be a contributing factor. But it is hard to compare the U.S. (the "melting pot" of cultures) with other countries. The diversity of economic status and race alone are enough to cause much of problems in the U.S. I think the latest stat was something like 90% of the U.S. wealth is owned by less than 10% of the individuals. So you end up with these areas where the poor and the no-gooders get lumped together and you end up with big trouble (every city has these areas --- the "bad part of town") and that is where the trouble grows and festers. Then you inject guns and drugs and "turf wars" into the situation and then it overflows into the "better parts of town" which is when law enforcement usually gets involved and the legal system has to get involved. Our country is not a "melting pot", cultures do not mesh and merge... mostly our cultures manage to co-exist most of the time but occasionally you get conflict.

I'm not trying to start a huge debate, just trying to make people see or hear or read that there are more issues at stake then killing one man who evidently killed 4 other people. Executing a person does not bring back the dead and it does not prevent any other people from killing. So again, if life in prison is just as effective as preventing that same person from killing again why is the death penalty any better? I agree that the prison experience should be made a little more difficult too; it may actually deter the individual inmates from getting out and committing more crimes.

Also... are you ok with executing even one innocent person? (No knee-jerk reactions... think if it were your dad or brother or even yourself.) With new technology (mainly DNA testing) more and more crimes are being solved and on several occasions people who were previously convicted for a crime are now being found innocent. Again, you can always let someone out of prision... but if you executed them... you can't bring 'em back. This is why there are mandatory apeals for death penalty cases. Every member of the justice system knows that it is not a perfect system and their checks and balances have to be built in to protect us from ourselves.

Just something to think about. I think some people have jumped on the execution band wagon or even the abolition of execution (just b/c their friends or parents or whoever believes that way) without really knowing the real issues themselves. Groupthink is a terrible and dangerous thing!!!
                            Last edited by jeffm3434; 12-13-2005, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffm3434
                              Also... are you ok with executing even one innocent person?
                              Yes..........

Comment

Working...
                              X