X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin GPS

Anyone had any experience with Garmin GPS? Specifically trying to transfer map data from the PC to the GPS unit? I have always used lowrance gps units until my jeep buddies convinced me that garmin was the real deal. I wanted a larger display anyway so I sold my trusty lowrance and purchased a garmin 176C, then I had to purchase the mapsoftware, then a memory card that is unique to only garmin and now I am unable to get any of it to work together. For a lot less investment I could have had a comparable lowrance that uses regular SD memory cards, no "unlock codes" to use the software,,,,,, OK enough, what I'm really looking for is a little help to get this stupid gps working before Moab! And "yes" I have tried to call garmin tech support,,, they are only open 9-5 monday thru friday!

I have used Garmin for years. I now have a Garmin 60CS. I use Mapsource to upload/download waypoints to the GPSr or PC via a USB cable. No memory card on mine.

Sounds like you have unlocked the map software. Run Mapsource. When you connect the GPSr to the PC, can the PC find it? If not, on the GPSr check the setup menu and set the interface to Garmin and try it again.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff
      I have used Garmin for years. I now have a Garmin 60CS. I use Mapsource to upload/download waypoints to the GPSr or PC via a USB cable. No memory card on mine.

Sounds like you have unlocked the map software. Run Mapsource. When you connect the GPSr to the PC, can the PC find it? If not, on the GPSr check the setup menu and set the interface to Garmin and try it again.

Jeff
      Yep, already done all that,,,, still nothing, it's like the PC and the GPS just don't see each other. Even borrowed another cable from someone else and tried again, even though he told me he had never been able to get it to work either. Do they make a cable that plugs directly into the memory card?

Comment

I dont know about plugging directly into a memory card.

Are you using a USB port? Can you use the USB port for anything else? Do you have more than one USB port? Have you tried the other ports?

What kind of message do you get from Mapsource when you try and connect?

Have you tried any other programs? Like Easygps?

Just looking for a clue.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
        X