X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Alaska - Emissions testing concerns

I am moving to Anchorage Alaska and in my ongoing research I have discovered that Alaska does emissions testing on all vehicles 1968 and newer. This doesn't concern me with my Jeep since it it still stock for the most part but I do have a 1977 Ford F-250 that I worry about. While the engine runs great, it has absolutely no smog reduction equipment. I'd like to know if there are any Alaskans that can give some advise. How strict is the testing and what do people with older vehicles do to pass the test?

I lived there about 9 years ago, but I was never old enough to drive while I lived there. I'm pretty sure the emissions regulation was passed after I moved out of the state, becuase I can't remember anyone having to test their vehicles for that. Other states have emissions regulations too, and I've never encountered anyone who couldn't pass one. I wouldn't worry about it. Worse case you pay $50 and fail the test and have to re-take it after a tune-up.

Comment

What the heck are you doing up there?

Comment

Jay, I don't know about emissions in Alaska, but I will say I envy the he!! out of you, going to Alaska! Without a doubt the most incredible, amazing, beautiful place in the world, especially if you're outdoors-oriented, like most Jeepers are. If I could I would leave tomorrow to go back there. I will go back, but it'll be a while. Winters can be rough, though, but Anchorage should be bearable; not like Fairbanks. Good luck there, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Comment

I'm not sure about Alaska but most of the other states with emissions testing older cars like that are Grandfathered in I'd go to one of them Tree Huggin Hippy sites I'm sure they've got the regulations there word for word.

Comment

Replies to the comments/questions

I'm going to Alaska because I was lucky enough to get my choice of assignments (I'm in the military). The draw-back is that I have to go to Korea for a year without my wife. I have been stationed in Wyoming and Montana and enjoyed it there. I loved the outdoors, fishing, hunting, Jeeping (mudding, moderate rock climbing, and just traversing the trails), and camping in the mountains. While I have never been to Alaska, everyone I speak to that has been there tells me that if I enjoyed Wyoming and Montana that I will like Alaska even better. I have been out of the states for 4 years and I look forward to hunting again. It is quite a challenge to go hunting in Europe (my opinion). There are so many rules, taxes, and having a gun, well, that is another hurdle all together. I've enjoyed being in England but I also missed things about the US as well.

As for my truck, from what I can find on the internet, grandfathering relates to vehicles 1968 and older. I can't find anything that states the emission test is any less strict on a vehicle as old as mine. It is original for the most part; the engine has been rebuilt with more horsepower but no smog equipment was by-passed as there was no smog equipment originally installed on it (to my knowledge).
            Last edited by Jay; 04-07-2006, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X