X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Plans

Ok. Before, my fiancee and I were planning on going to the Outer Banks for our honeymoon. Well, she's changed her mind. "Too cold" she says... It'll be the first week of October. But nevermind that, because I've already learned one of the first rules of marriage. She's right, even when she's not.

So, she's now decided she'd like to go to Charleston, which is still fine by me. Anybody know of any nice and reasonable bed & breakfasts or hotels in the area? Also, stuff to do. I've been three times in my life. 1st time: too young, don't remember. 2nd time: first year in college. Went to see Georgia Southern kick the Citadel's rear in football! 3rd time: second year in college. Went to a concert at the minor league baseball stadium. Any suggestions?

I haven't been in years and years, so I can't recommend a place to stay, but something to do!
    Take the horse and buggy tour of the town! All the guides are licensed (it's almost like getting a college degree, the test they have to pass), and can give you the lowdown on everything you see, almost anything you pass by. It also has the advantage of being a bit romantic, and is a nice, slow pace.
    There was also an old, old style restaurant downtown that was famous for she-crab soup. I don't recall the name, and Lord knows if they're still in business... ask around for recommendations when you get there. Charlestonians know how to eat!
    Good luck!
    I think you'll have a good time.
    ps. Just north of Charleston is an old plantation/museum worth a see if you're into that sort of thing.

Comment

wooooohoooooo!

Congrats on the wedding, Renegadestang. Charleston is all about having a laid back nice time. Like Tom said, there is good food all over the freakin' place. Red hot blues if you want 'em and every other sort of music. I LOVE Henry's for a good old time feel. South End Brewery ROCKS. The seafood just about anywhere downtown is awesome. As far as the really nice wedding stuff, get the bride to be to check this place out. I think she'll like it.

http://www.82queen.com/

a place to stay:

http://www.middletonplace.org/default.asp

another is 'The Lodge Alley Inn'. It's not that fancy but it's downtown and close to everything.
      Last edited by blackwater; 04-11-2006, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Blackwater, is Henry's the old restaurant I was thinking of? The name sounds familiar. The waiters all wore coats, and I remember the building seeming a bit old and shabby, but the food was outstanding.

Outdoor dining is probably better in summer, but there's plenty of that in Charleston.

There's the funny Charleston accent, that sounds vaguely Australian.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep
          Blackwater, is Henry's the old restaurant I was thinking of? The name sounds familiar. The waiters all wore coats, and I remember the building seeming a bit old and shabby, but the food was outstanding.
          Tom, I don't know about the coats. It's not a 'fancy' place but it's old and it's a great place to DRINK and listen to the blues... It's located around the corner from the slave market. If I remember right it's pretty close to where you catch the carriage rides. Renegadestang, you guys have to take a moment for the carriage rides.

I was going to recommend the Vendue Inn but they built condos in front of it and you can't drink at the roof top bar and see the bay from there anymore. (No, it's not all about drinking... but you're going to want to have large fun so I thought I'd mention the watering holes.)

Just Google Charleston, Renegadestang. It's not so big that you could manage to miss the good stuff. You'll have to be on your best behavior, though. The women in Charleston are truly out of this world and VERY difficult not to LOOK AT.

Comment

convince here that savahna (sp?) is much nicer, because it is, and it's only an hour and a half further south. or you can go to jekyl or sea islands there. i used to take the girlfriends there a lot, but that was many moons ago and don't remember the names of the places i stayed at.

Comment

uhm...no...

Originally posted by FUBAR
              convince here that savahna (sp?) is much nicer, because it is...
              FUBAR, I don't often disagree with you but I'm going to do it this time. Savannah and Charleston are referred to as the 'Sister Cities' in the South. I would not offer a poor opinion of Savannah for anything in the world. (I spent a weekend during Christmas there.) However, she can't whip Charleston on a Saturday night any way you turn it.

Comment

i was more impressed with savannah than charleston. i used to live in atlanta and greeville sc for a while and just prefered savannah, but charleston was nice to. instead of charleston, i'd usually head to hilton head. you can actually see hilton head from savannah. to be honest i never really partied in either city as a weekend thing. my "party road trips" were always to the redneck riviera (panama city beach). but i have yet to find a better st. patty's day than in savannah. it even beats ohio u's st. patty's day.

Comment

Hah!

Originally posted by FUBAR
                  ...but i have yet to find a better st. patty's day than in savannah...
                  I had written as much in my note then decided that St. Patty's in Savannah wouldn't mean a thing to anyone that hadn't seen the green river. SO... You got it right. The little port city ROCKS on Green Day. The Holy City (Charleston) can't hold a candle to it. New Orleans isn't the only Southern town where the women put the 'goods' on for display.

By the way, FUBAR, they stopped dying the river. Victimized by yet another bunch of 'tree huggers' I think...

Renegadestang, both are very nice especially if you have some 'time' to spend. Savannah doesn't have Ft. Sumter. (That's where the yankees started The War in case you forgot...) And they hanged Stede Bonnet the 'Gentleman Pirate' in Charleston... The guy should have never taken up with Blackbeard.

Comment

We would go to Savannah, except we went to school at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, not 45 minutes from Savannah. Let's just say we went there quite a bit... lol. There and Tybee Island.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info on Charleston. I haven't had a chance to do much research yet, just wanted to see what y'all thought.

Comment

Alright, since Jenn and I are on a pretty tight budget, we've convinced my dad to let us borrow the camper trailer to stay at an RV park down in Charleston. Any suggestions on parks?

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
                          Renegadestang, both are very nice especially if you have some 'time' to spend. Savannah doesn't have Ft. Sumter. (That's where the yankees started The War in case you forgot...)
                          Ya might want to be a bit clearer, for our yankee brethern with short memories, that you are referring to the War of Northern Aggression.

Comment

Check out the "Charleston Place" if you want to go a little (well, a lot) on the upscale side of things. It is a very very nice hotel (upstairs) with a 5 star restaurant for the public and some stores and stuff downstairs.

The best thing about it is its location though; a block over from King Street (historic downtown waterfront and shopping area) but you can still drive to it!

Comment

Charelston is a beautiful town. I remember just walking the ocean front and checking out the houses. I used to live in Beaufort, so i never stayed up there. But i would highly recomend driving down to hunting island state park. It is also a beautiful place and would only take you about an hour to drive there. they have a really cool lighthouse that you can check out, and the beach is very pretty. Beaufort is also a cool little town to take a peek at, they have some really cool bed and breakfasts. It is also where forest gump was filmed (just a side note). I miss that town....

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X