Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it aint one thing its another... Long Rant.

So I take my 68 Chevy Pickup to my buddies house to rewire the brakes. I crawl underneath and its one heck of a big bundle of wires. No biggie, go one by one and I'll be cool. So I grab a random wire and follow it, 2 inches and there is a butt connecter, 3 more inches and another butt connector. On 12in of wire there had to be 5 splices. Then there also must of been a sale at K-Mart on white wire. The whole back of the truck was either one color of wire, white or wire with 20 splices per foot. There is 4 wires that run from the front of the truck. Brake, left, right, taillight. But after those 4, there had to be 30 seperate wires, ALL WHITE!. So I got them working better than they were. But I hafta pull of the bed to rewire it. Its pretty bad. I'm sure it all worked when it was rewired but corrosion sucks. It needs a whole new harness

I installed the trailer brake controller. That was event free. Kinda amazing.

Then I followed my buddy to the gas station. Got stung by a wasp in the back of the neck while driving my truck. Going up the hill by my house is lots of fun, nowhere for a cop to sit. Hill is a little more than a mile long. So we start at the bottom, he has a mildly worked 400BB and I'm running a very worked 350. I spin most of the way up the hill, cant hook up no matter how much I try. Spun to the point now my tires are showing cords. Nothing like breaking the Uniroyals free at 80mph. So that sucks.

Get to the gas station to find my alternator belt flew off. Luckily its still there, but dont have any tools on me. I managed to find a 1/2in wrench to reinstall the belt. Then when I restart my truck I notice sparks coming out of the back of the alternator. I fried the alternator.

Tonight was not my night.

the bright side...

Originally posted by joe_and_jeep
    Tonight was not my night.
    ...if there is one. Joe, think of all the guys who will read this and say, 'Thank God, it's not just me.' Nice rant, man.

Comment

my kenwood cd player is dieing so its not a good day for me.

Comment

Originally posted by joshs1ofakindxj
        my kenwood cd player is dieing so its not a good day for me.
        The radio in my truck is a "SparkoMatic" Antenna dont work and only one speaker works and its been wet so it crackles. I have exhaust as a radio.

Comment

i dont know if i should offer a high 5 or make some tisk tisk semi-clucking noises. at least my XJs death wobble went away last night (knock on wood) after some kicking and screaming and tire rotating.

and yes i literally knocked on wood. anything to keep the DW away!

Comment

Stereos aint my thing. My little bro tho has a decent setup. I think more of function over anything. Some people have different priorities. That makes customizing so much fun.

I havent even painted my truck yet, I been getting the engine work done. Now that the engine is done I am gonna work on making her purdy. I just gotta get a new alternator.

What sucks about the Alternator is I bought it as a "Lifetime Warranty" but I bought it 3 years ago. All fine and dandy but Advance Auto updated their computers and anything bought before 2004 is not in there system and I dont got the extra money right now to buy another alternator for my truck. I spent way too much over the weekend on my YJ.

Comment

thats why i always save receipts in a nice fat envelope. saved me once or twice already.

Comment

Not your problem they "updated" their system and lost the records. Throw a big enough fit demanding they pull up th ebacked up copy of the records and they should end up givin in especially if you mention you have 5 cars you maintain with parts from them AND help alot of friends AND have influence over where they shop. If the manager is any good it just isn't worth it to them to piss a customer off that much. Otherwise, take you business elsewhere... I know I would. Good Luck!

Comment

If the manager is any good
                  Thats funny, you gotta meet this chick. Anytime stuff is warrantied it is taken off of her bonus. So she can be a royal b!tch. I'm going to the district manager. Probably wont get far with her.

thats why i always save receipts in a nice fat envelope. saved me once or twice already.
                  I have one of those. It wasn't in there.

Comment

joe, i get some receipts that dont make it into the envelope some how and go to the wash or something and that pisses you more than anything since you take the time to make this envelope.

Comment

I got the alternator warrentied...

I walk in with the alternator, showed it to her. She walks into the back looks into a box and walks up and says "Thats what I was afraid of, see yours, it has a SKU on it. They only put skus on 1 year warranty alternators" Then I requested she bring a 1 year alternator to the counter. I said "That sku dont look like mine" she replied with "Uhh thats because yours is older, they changed them" I replied with "I would never buy a 1 year alternator when the lifetime warranty is $8 more. Grab a Lifetime warranty alternator and lets see" She grabs it and brings it up. I said "That SKU looks just like the 1 year, and look it say Delco Remy on it and mine does too" her "Thats just because they used different cores to rebuild" I pointed out a few more similarities and she got mad and slammed my alternator in the lifetime box and pushed the new alternator at me and angrily said "I dont have the time to argue with you, I have stuff to do" I replied with "Thanks"

What it is, is this. Anytime you warranty something it takes off of the daily sales. And the store manager makes her bonus off of the average daily sales. So when you warranty something, her bonus isn't as much. Dumb way of doing things.

I put it on last night and on my way to parents house to get it ready for Saturday to tow my Jeep I broke a brake line. Rear line, the one that goes from the proportioning valve to the rear. My rubber line isn't in the best shape so I have to replace from the proportioning valve all the way to the rubber line and the rubber line. It is the only brake line I havent replaced yet. Since I have to fix some corroded wires I am just gonna pull the bed off and do everything at once.

The plus side is me and my Dad fixed his truck so I have that to tow with. I just gotta do some finishing touches to my YJ. Should be all ready to go Sat morning.

Comment

congratulations on winning your battle in the warranty war.

Comment

joe, what did you expect from a chevy??? if you want reliability, drive a ford......

Comment

^baaaah, hahahaha HA! good one fubar....good one...

clearly the alternator had some sort of ford part/engineering/construction involved with it because it couldnt have been the fault of the good chevy truck.

Comment

Working...
                            X