X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You think your computer is....

Next time you think your computer is not good enough to suit you, think back to 1969...
    (credit to Lileks.com)

“Machines don’t lie, Mindy. There is a seventy percent chance a bundt cake resides under that lid, and a 35 percent chance your hair is actually an exploded Jiffy Pop container painted black.”
    It’s the "brand new System / 370” machine, which, according to the cutline, had been approved for sale . . . by a judge. A U.S. District Court jurist had just ruled against Telex, who’d insisted that the computer would violate antitrust laws. (This is a long grim tale that makes "Bleak House" look like a Judge Judy episode.)
    Either the 370 sported a pen-based input system, or that guy’s so old-school he codes on the screen with a Sharpie. Note also how industrial design looks like the 2001-movie era of futuristic computers * and no matter how cool stuff looks, people still pile things on top of the devices.
    Also credit Lileks.com for text.
    Cool, hmmm?
    Last edited by tomsjeep; 06-12-2006, 03:29 PM.

tom, is that what your into? do you play with old giant computers in your spare time (spare time other than spare jeep time)?

Comment

Nope, although that bundt cake looks pretty good.

Comment

Tom, you didn't tell us you still have that old pic of yours...

Comment

I guess I should have explained - for you whippersnappers - that all the equipment you see in the photo: cabinets, screen w/keyboard, and the magic box marked IBM constitutes this one computer.
          My workstation at home has many times the raw computing power, memory and storage space than this old dinosaur did.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep
            I guess I should have explained - for you whippersnappers - that all the equipment you see in the photo: cabinets, screen w/keyboard, and the magic box marked IBM constitutes this one computer.
            My workstation at home has many times the raw computing power, memory and storage space than this old dinosaur did.

I still know those old computers, we had those in East Germany a tad longer in use. Those things were huge and I remember them placed in seperate buildings because they needed extra space for the storage mediums as well
            Well, guess my calculator runs those things out ;o)

Comment

didnt they have huge cooling requirements too? i think it was the henry ford museam i was at they had a model that some guy built in the 50's to show what the home computer of 2000 would be like and it was a huge. giant display with 2 TVs and tons of buttons and switches and a giant wheel to turn for some reason. it was crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by joshs1ofakindxj
                didnt they have huge cooling requirements too? i think it was the henry ford museam i was at they had a model that some guy built in the 50's to show what the home computer of 2000 would be like and it was a huge. giant display with 2 TVs and tons of buttons and switches and a giant wheel to turn for some reason. it was crazy.
                Yes, and even worse than you imagine. The whole room had to be specially air-conditioned, and they normally used specially elevated, anti-static floors with some funky rubber-tiled covering.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep
                  Yes, and even worse than you imagine. The whole room had to be specially air-conditioned, and they normally used specially elevated, anti-static floors with some funky rubber-tiled covering.
                  Yeah, those were the first ACs I have seen in Eastern Germany and except some fancy hotels the only ones we had around... oh, I thought that just because our guys were pretty good at plastic/rubber technology that they put those floors in...

Comment

Yay for vacuum tubes and punch cards!

(Thank God for semiconductors and sub micron die technology...)

Comment

Working...
                    X