Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dream rig. NOTE: NOT a Jeep

Purple road monster

I tried and tried to work a deal on this lavender beauty but they just would not negotiate.

Hell, they acted like it would be doing me a favor to sell me the truck. Common complaint with this dealership. I should've known better.

Oh well their loss.

Pretty though ain't it.

Rated top speed of 127 MPH in 18th gear at 2200 rpm.

525 Caterpillar horsepower
    Single turbo pre emmisions C-15
    1850 lbs of torque.
    Extended hood
    Decked out sleeper
    18 Gauges

And actully quite a good investment. Good resale, with reasonable depreciation for taxes, fuel efficient as any rig in my application and dang it it just looks cool.

Needs more lights tough.

Never too many lights

Nice, Truck, my aunt drives something like that, It is really nice in side.

Comment

purple though? tell me you wanted to paint it.........

Comment

Originally posted by mjo79
        purple though? tell me you wanted to paint it.........
        I checked in my Crayola box... purple is a real color. Sometimes Superman's hair is that color.

Nice looking truck there LYKOS. You going to be able to get that thing, or there no way they going to budge off the price? Gee just think, for that kinda money, you could get a full-sized tricked-out H2!

Too bad it doesn't come in Solar Yellow, eh?

Comment

All that $$$ and it's not even automatic? Stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5
            All that $$$ and it's not even automatic? Stay away.
            Real truck drivers don't need or even want automatics!

Comment

Actually BOP the Freightliner I run is an automatic.

For certain applications they work fine. I love mine.

However with my contracts shifting towards the heavy and oversize freight market an automatic simply does not offer enough gear ratios.

An 18 speed is basically a nine speed with a splitter button for each gear. You have a high and a low range for each. Thus allowing you many ratios to keep the engine in prime operating range.

No, this particular truck will not be mine but one like it will.

The price is a bit steep but not all that bad. Problem was there obscene offers for my trades.

For example. They offer me 7 grand for my trailer. I argue. They say they are doing me a favor offering that much. I literally sold the trailer that afternoon for 10 K.

So until the arseholes decide I'm not stupid or desperate they won't get my business.

TEI likes to mainly deal with companies with several trucks who buy several at a time. The single unit O/O like myself rarely gets anywhere with them.

And what's wrong with the color?

I like it. It's different and classy.

TOMS JEEP you can order them in solar yellow. But that's just too California for my tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin v2
                Real truck drivers don't need or even want automatics!
                OH PLEASE!!!

Real truck drivers are secure enough in ther masculinity that they don;t need a stick to play with going down the road.

Comment

truck idiot here...

Lykos,

You said 'fuel efficient'. What sort of mileage does one of those things get unloaded/loaded? How long would it take you to pay it off? Not trying to get personal I've just always wondered how an independent trucker makes a living driving a machine that costs so danged much up front. That's as much as a house, man. (Well, it used to be anyway... Still is in some parts.)

Also, how badly is the fuel cost hurting? How much of the extra fuel cost do you absorb, if any? I've read that the surefire way to 'deal' with the oil companies is for all the truckers in the country to take a week or two off.

And the purple is okay. I like the black ones. When you're spending bucks like that you can paint it any danged color you want.

Comment

Originally posted by LYKOS
                    OH PLEASE!!!

Real truck drivers are secure enough in ther masculinity that they don;t need a stick to play with going down the road.

I was just bustin' BOP'S balls. Autos have their place, but don't make a truck better than another, nor do they make one worthless to not have.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin v2
                      I was just bustin' BOP'S balls. Autos have their place, but don't make a truck better than another, nor do they make one worthless to not have.
                      I figured you were. But when I first bought the thing I cought a LOT of grief from nutless cowboy wannabe truckers. So you inadvertantly hit a soft spot.

My bad.

Comment

Trucking 101

Originally posted by blackwater
                        Lykos,

You said 'fuel efficient'. What sort of mileage does one of those things get unloaded/loaded? How long would it take you to pay it off? Not trying to get personal I've just always wondered how an independent trucker makes a living driving a machine that costs so danged much up front. That's as much as a house, man. (Well, it used to be anyway... Still is in some parts.)

Also, how badly is the fuel cost hurting? How much of the extra fuel cost do you absorb, if any? I've read that the surefire way to 'deal' with the oil companies is for all the truckers in the country to take a week or two off.

And the purple is okay. I like the black ones. When you're spending bucks like that you can paint it any danged color you want.

Over all mileage on my rig is about 6.1 to 6.3 MPG. That is all inclusive of loaded, unloaded and idle time. Idling the truck to run the HVAC at night costs a fortune. About a gallon an hour. My next rig will have an auxillary power unit to cut those costs.

Trucks are financed just like cars. Three, four and five year contracts are the most common. Interest on these loans match auto rates. All in all it's still just a big truck.

Fuel cost is a factor. Strangely enough not so much so in gross revenue. When fuel goes up does does our fuel surcharges. So we actually break even. The true "independant" has a harder time with fuel than a lease operator such as myself. They have no leverage with their customers. Where as the folks I lease to have established contracts and can simply add fuel charges. Since we are a non forced type of dispatch we as the o/o's simply won't pull freight offered by customers who don't pay enough.

Where it kills the o/o is witht operating cost that are increased as a result of higher fuel costs.

For example the cost of trucks has increased about 20% over the last two years, trailers 30%. Increased fuel costs hit you everywhere, not just in the tank.

Of course when we increase our rates the customers increase their prices to compensate and that of course is eventually passed on to the consumer. So the stuff I buy for day to day life costs more. So goes the never ending cycle.

As far as truckers taking a week or two off?

It will never ever happen. Truckers can't even agree which exit the truck stop in at much less agree to go on strike.

Besudes it would crush the econpmy. Look around you. Decide what you see that was not carried in whole or in part by a truck at some point. Then imagine that none of it moves for a couple weeks and the effects of that action.

Not pretty.

My opinion, besides developing alternate fuel technology?

Shut the tankers down for three days. As soon as the gas stations are empty and the trucks, and cars, have to stop for a day or two I think our point would be made.

Comment

re: trucking 101

I remember a time when trucks were fairly rare on the road, and most freight moved by barge or rail.

Yeah, shut down the tankers and the entire economy grinds to a halt within a week. Look at the results of Katrina just outside the Gulf coast when fuel began to get in short supply.

LYKOS, I kinda figured your color choice meant that it was easier to find your rig in the parking lot. And what's wrong with California? Everyone out there isn't as gay as Piece of Bird.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep
                            I remember a time when trucks were fairly rare on the road, and most freight moved by barge or rail.
                            Yeah that is true. But as population grows so does demand and more and more transportation options are needed.

Fewer and fewer businesses use warehousing nowdays. They use just in time shipping methods. It costs less to hire a truck to ship a product from the manufacturer to than it does to warehouse that item for a period in the hopes a consumer will buy it.

Good for me, bad for traffic.

It ain't the purple itself that I like so much but the fact it's different.

I wasn't implying California is gay just flashy.

I don't like flashy.

Comment

Originally posted by LYKOS
                              It ain't the purple itself that I like so much but the fact it's different.

I wasn't implying California is gay just flashy.

I don't like flashy.
                              And purple ain't flashy?

Hey, it's a free country. If we all wanted the same Jeep, there'd be a heck of a line waiting. Same for types of women. Of course, then the whole thing with the line would turn me off anyway.

And in my experience California isn't flashy... at least not like New York is flashy. Most of the time, I found California pretty laid back, a lot like Texas... I sometimes ate in some restaurants frequented by the Spielburg crew from ILM... and was never dressed much beyond jeans and a sweatshirt. So long as you could pay your bill, no one even gave it a second glance. I kinda liked that part, since I'm a low-key dresser (a nice euphemism for sloppy).

Comment

Working...
                              X