X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio frustrated

So, my radio got lazy on me all of a sudden out of the blue. The "Eject" and "Volume" controls are all that work now. If I put a CD in, it plays the CD fine, but I can't turn it off without ejecting, can't skip tracks, can't access the Radio (FM or XM) at all, etc. Litterally, I cut the Jeep off while we worked on getting it un-stuck, then told my roomie to turn some tunes back on, and it wouldn't go.

I called some local shops, and the best rate I found is $45 just to look at it, which ticks me off. I'm afriad I'll take it somewhere and they'll quote me at $300 or something to fix it (I could get a new one for $230 now) and I'll be out $45.

Any ideas guys? Suggestions? I took it apart to see if anything is obviously out of place, but I really don't know my way around a circuit board. I liked this radio alot, but I'm really just looking for a the cheapest way to get tunes back. Conditions:
    Must play XM radio (I've already got all of the hookups and adapters for pioneer)
    Must look decent in 1.5 DIN space (no foam spacers or any of that crap)
    Must be super cheap.

Originally posted by davida_jr
    Must look decent in 1.5 DIN space (no foam spacers or any of that crap)
    Must be super cheap.
    I can't believe you're so prejudiced against foam!

OK, seriously, go look at Crutchfield, go look at TigerDirect. Shop and compare with what our hosts offer here as well.
    C'mon, you know the rules, if it's busted, it's time to upgrade!

Think marine quality...
    then you can hose the dashboard off (well, maybe not, but it's a nice thought)!

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep
      Think marine quality...
      then you can hose the dashboard off (well, maybe not, but it's a nice thought)!
      That's what I've been doing anyways!

I really wish I would have had the bright idea to go marine from the beginning, when I had cash to blow. Now I really can't afford another $300+ headunit for a while, and that is all the 1.5 DIN marine units crutchfield has.

Is there an installation kit that would allow a little change pocket or something and a DIN headunit to fit? Also, if I ever sell my sub woofer setup I was going to spend that money on the tuffy console; I could put a single DIN unit in there and then come up with something else for all of the dash space; any thoughts about that?

Comment

Sorry, no thoughts on a cheaper way (unless maybe Ebay, but I'm leary of that too).
        As it is, we're on opposite ends of the spectrum. My days as a broke college kid getting by on a budget are long behind me... so I just get what I want without much regard to the cost.
        If it's any consolation, you'll be here someday too.
        Hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep
          If it's any consolation, you'll be here someday too.
          Hang in there.
          Thanks Tom. Will I get there eventually, even if I keep blowing all of the [extra] money I make now on the Jeep?

Anyone else have any idea how to fix a radio/circuit board?

Comment

I would just replace it. It seems like whenever something like this breaks, it costs almost as much or more to fix it than it would be for new. I paid about $140 for my basic Pioneer CD/stereo, if it dies I'll get another. It's been great for the four or so years I've had it. Only problem with it is that it sometimes won't eject CDs, must be from all the dust it inhales. I keep a pair of tweezers in the Jeep to pull them out.

Comment

i have pioneer unit never installed just tested i have 3 different cd players actually ( i used to own a custom rod shop) you can have pics or booklet on anyone at your request . 4x50 watts rms not max pioneer unit is a deh- alpine unit is a 4321alpha (means sat ready or xm ready adapter is 99.00 at best buy easy install.) or audiobahn cd 1.5 din with tv in it but thats 350.00 firm not open its 790.00 normally . if you want the others for you and because your stuck 100.00 flat cn pick up and install it or i can install it for free and i can meet you around my neck of the woods or 4wd. takes me 20 minutes max.

Comment

Originally posted by davida_jr
                Thanks Tom. Will I get there eventually, even if I keep blowing all of the [extra] money I make now on the Jeep?
                At some point, your rate of earnings will accelerate enough that you achieve "escape velocity" and get ahead of your expenses. It took me a long time to get here (thanks to the ex), but I am comfortable now. And as long as I don't try to keep up with my little brother's bad habits (house on the golf course, expensive mercedes sports car), I can do as I please.

Hang in there.
                Oh yes, and plan.

Comment

my thoughts:

-i would never buy from crutchfield as they are the most expensive out there.
                  -i have a cheap duraband (walmart) unit that sounds fine. it will cost you less than one hour of labor at the repair shop.
                  -go to overtons website and get a water proof cover for it if you want that. they've much cheaper than a water proof head unit. overtons is a boating supply place.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                    -i would never buy from crutchfield as they are the most expensive out there.
                    Generally true, but not when you watch carefully for sale stuff. So far I've done pretty well by them.
                    And both they and TigerDirect list their specs pretty well. It makes shopping a lot easier to have hard data... no matter where you end up buying from, having a good idea of output, dimensions, features, etc. makes sorting through the stuff in a store a lot easier. I just call it doing homework.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. It has always been my experience as well that getting electronics repaired is more expensive than buying new equipment. That's why I'm leary of the $45 "check out" fee.

Y2J_white_4U2NV, my current unit is the DEH-P77DH. Is the pioneer you have a 1.5 din? If so, is the P77 or the P47?

Fubar, that will probablly be the route I'll take now. I was looking at wal-mart and they had some standard size pioneers, sonys, etc., but then just sitting on the shelf they had the "no-names" in boxes for like, $20 or so. I used to be picking about music stuff and tried to get the best bang for the buck, but I don't really care so much anymore...(I'm caring less and less about all kinds of things actually, it kind of worries me, but I guess I don't really care).

Comment

deh-p77 and i could ship it free since your in nc. i also wanted to tell you i was at 4wd today and they have a nice simple unit for 45.00 in the back i can buy it and shipit to you and it would only cost you like 55.00 bucks total. just let me know i looked at it and it has a remote. my other comment was i dont use a cd player i use an mp3 dvd player they are stronger and have better longer lasting lasers and they are cheap. but good quality. and it looks like a cd player just get bored or tailgate or just camping plug a tv in and it becomes a movie on wheels for 100.00 bucks more. since my wife and mother in law and toralf are riding with me up to the m&g i installed a portable sceen in the rearview mirror and a 7 inch portable stand unit total cost 100.00 from tundra electronics and i will bring my xbox 360 too for the gamers and kids to keep them occupied at night. cheap easy durable practical and better than normal performance. i have pics just pm me.

Comment

my walmart cd player plays mp3 files to.

Comment

$100 for a new deh-p77dh is right up my alley. I am definately interested, the only problem is I don't have $100 to spare at the moment. I'm going to be out of the country from May 20 - June 13, but after I return, if it's still available, I would definately like to complete this deal.

Comment

i'll hold it for you or if you now someone at the meet and greet i can give it to them. good luck out of country and come home safe. glad i can help.

Comment

Working...
                              X