Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not all that old myself, and yet, I do consider myself a nostalgia buff. You don't have to be an old man (or woman) to appreciate the benefits that the early industrial age brought us. My main reason for prefering the older jeeps can be put into a very simple scenario.
    If you were to walk outside right now. Go over to your brand new Sahara and put a swift kick into the front fender, You'd get one hell of a dent in that fender.
    Conversely, you can smack the hell out of the older jeeps and you'll be lucky to scratch the paint.

That's it in a nutshell. The newer the jeep, the more pretty, complicated, sofisticated, and "street friendly" they are. CJ's were built for off road use and weren't really intended to be driven on the street. Not the earlier models anyway.

Comment

i am definately not old, and i love the classics, much because they are easier to work on......if my jeep brakes down on the road, i have enough tool and back yard riggin ideas to get her going(fishing leader in lieu of accelerator cable, just to name one).........if something goes wrong with a newer one, such as computer, fuel injector problems, you are more than likely gonna have to call a buddy to come get you and your ride.....my jeep is older than me, its an 83', that makes me 18, and i still love the classics. it all comes down to your personal tastes
      -goat

Comment

I can tell you this. My grandfather and I were out in the middle of the desert. I mean, THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT. G.P.S. put us 11 miles from the nearest unpaved road and 38 miles from the highway. Well, the fuel pump decided to quit. Didn't happen to have an extra in my pocket so we had to get creative.

First, we removed the hood and strapped it on to the roll bar to get it out of the way. Then, disconnected the fuel line at the filter up in the engine compartment and removed it from the carburetor. I then re-shaped the fuel line so that it ran under the windshield as it was folded down. Once I had the line shaped how I wanted, I took the rubber fuel line off of the saddle tank and using an empty two gallon water carton, made a half a$$ed gas tank. I connected my newly fabricated gas tank to the fuel line. Rested this newly fabricated gas tank on the folded window and help it down with bungy straps. I took the jerry can off the back, filled my gas can and, taaaa daaaa, we were back in business.

Now, I ask all of you that might happen to be reading this, could that EVER be tried in a "new" jeep????? Fuel injection, computers, an engine compartment that looks like the guts of the space shuttle. I hardly think so... That's my story and that's why I won't own anything that I have to take to a mechanic to fix.

Comment

Nice field fix Boro. I don't mind the new stuff, then again I am a mechanic. I have all of the stuff I need to diagnose something. If it is covered by warranty, then someone else fixes it(that is if I don't get the job at a Jeep dealership). If not I get the parts and do it myself. But you are right fuel injection is harder to work on than a carb. But to each their own. I like all years, they each have something to offer and a place on or off the road. But I do prefer the old Jeeps over the new.

Comment

The fix must have came to me in a dream because we were stuck there over night and when I woke up the next day, I went right to work like I knew what I was doing. Yeah, I was pretty proud of myself getting out of the desert and all. Who was that guy on TV? McGuyver??
            It's not just the fuel injection. I think that you, especially, would agree that all those sensors are a pain in the a$$ as well. I've never had my jeep just stop running and not be able to figure it out rather quickly. Fuel system? check. electrical system? check. After that, it's ALWAYS one of those two. I can climb under the hood of my 66' knowing that no matter what I do, I can always put it back to where it was when I started. Sure, there's a place for the newer jeeps, I totally agree. But when it comes to choosing a preference, I want the CJ or older.

Comment

Understandable Buro, like I said, I will own a CJ b4 I die.
              Yes my Sahara looks good on the street, and it's had it's share of mishaps off road. ONLY because of exactly what you have said about what'll happen if you walk up and kick the fender. My fenders (flares) are plastic so most likly kicking it wouldn't do much but scuff the paint. However, I could show you 2 stumps, a boulder, a fence, and a roll of fence fabric that DID make quick work of my fender flares, and cost me a pretty $$ to replace.
              Yes, i have come across trails that I don't go down because they're too narrow (gotta watch the paint). However, i could show you half a dozen scratches from trails that were too narrow (and that fence fabric) but looked like too much fun to wuss out on.
              I wish I had a CJ now so I don't have to worry about it, but my day is coming soon. Untill then, spit shined and polished, sittn in a driveway full of mud.
              I cant necessarily say I like one over the other for off road, but I have a good idea which one I like for urban pourposes.
              Buro, why '72?
              Do you drive your CJ as a daily driver?

JBO

Comment

'72 is the year that the Kaiser inventory was gone and the AMC actually bagan "producing" jeeps. I had a pretty thorough discussion on this top in the "vintage jeep" forum with wrangler013. Check it out for more info.

No, I don't drive it daily. I do in the summer months but in winter, even in Californina, it's a bit cold at 4:30 A.M. on my way to work. I drive it as often as I can but I spend a good deal of time tinkering with it to get it right so it's torn apart quite often. It always seems like there's something I'd like to fix or upgrade or re-paint or something. I just finished installing the saddle bag gas tanks for the third time in 4 months because I couldn't get it right. When I make changes to the originality of it, I have to make sure that you can't tell that it's not stock. I work hard to keep the "vintage" appearance.

Comment

Ahem, scrambler013! You are correct all of those sensors make for a lousy day with diagnosis. That is the problem I have right now with my YJ. It won't start. If it was the '63 '5 that I am working on restoring, quicker fix. No sensors, gadgets, computers, or anything like that. It would be simple. Spark or fuel! So when it comes to fixing them gimme old any day. Still I like my TJ and my YJ, No they aren't a CJ but they are Jeeps. Not like those stupid Trackers and Sidekicks, those things suck!

Comment

Oh boy, I guess I screwed that one up pretty good. I do apologize and it won't happen again. I didn't get it at first until I read my post. Kinda slapped me in the face........ Now that i think of it, it's almost funny. Not to you, I'm sure but the fact that I got it COMPLETELY wrong, and yet, spelled wrangler correct, now that's funny. I took the time to make sure that I spelled your name right but didn't take the time to make sure that it as the right name. Please, forgive me for my transgressions.

Comment

It's ok. I just didn't want someone looking for me and not find me.(did that make sense?) Yes it is funny, even to me. I don't mind. Dookie happens(that is for you TJ Magoo). I acctually chuckled when I saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by scrambler013
                        Dookie happens(that is for you TJ Magoo).
                        Thanks scrambler013 I would've allowed $hit happens though.

Comment

I know TJ but hey Dookie sounds better. It's cleaner too(note: extreme sarcasm there) By the way Nice Jeep! Like the bullet holes, did you shoot back? :lol:

Comment

I always wanted a flatfender, but they're hard to find and considered collectors.

All I could afford as a brand-new private in the Army was a Geo Metro (hey, I sold it, no flak please). I wanted a Jeep but had to have reliable transportation for work. I COULD afford to get a YJ though, albeit I ended up getting one four years after I joined. A 1995 YJ, which has since been wrecked. Now I have a 1997 TJ.

I love that piece of junk. I really do.

Comment

Hey Deadpedal;
                              I know where you can find that flat fender if you're looking. I found one sitting in a guy's back yard rusting away. Can you believe that? It doesn't run and I'm not sure what that problem is, but it's complete with hardly any real rust problems. He's asking $3,000.00 for it.
                              Also, there are couple of early CJ's that I know of but they're quite a bit more expensive. 8,500.00 and 6,800.00 but in real good shape. Kind of half A$$ed restored. You'd have to start over but hey, that's what it's all about anyway.

Comment

Thank you so much, but my wife would fly right off the friggin handle if I brought another Jeep home. I am getting ready to go to Korea right now and wouldn't be able to begin work on it for almost a year and a half anyhow. As it stands right now, I have just doled out just over $400 for a new stereo for a $7500 2000 Toyota Corolla I just got her for Christmas. I put $4000 down for it.

No Moola.

In the meantime, I'm working on designs for an internal XJ rollcage until I can get my hands on my TJ again.

She would've killed me if I got it anyway. What can I say, I'm whipped.
                                I could have bought the Willy's for 3k and then transported it and then begun resto/ repair work for what I paid for the Toyota. Bah! Sometimes it doesn't pay to be nice, it's gonna get me killed one day.

Comment

Working...
                                X