X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie With questions

So I bought my 03 Wrangler x and added mirror relocation brackets, lights, and 31x10.5x15 BFG A/T's. I wanted to get a winch but have two questions. I have limited budget so I'm looking at either getting a Smittybuilt 8000 Lb or a Champion 10000 Lb. Any Suggestions? I'm looking around $300-400. Second question is should I buy a new bumper other than my stock one or just add a winch mounting plate? Thanks for all the help.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't offer techical any advice on which winch to go with, I really don't have much knowledge about winches. I was going to suggest spending a little more and getting the Warn M8000 but the price isn't what it was a couple of months ago. They had been $529 for awhile but now they are over $800. If I were buying a winch personally I would buy one that has a reputation for reliablity and good warranty coverage.

Comment

Save yourself some money and just get a winch plate for your stock bumper. The smittybilt has had mixed reviews, but it is a good price.

Comment

Has anyone heard of the Champion? I found one here in VA for $399 for a 10,000 Lb while its $299 for the Smittybuilt 8,000 Lb. Also do anyone have a link to a decent set of tow hooks both front and rear because they are required to go to the Jeep Jamboree which i want to go to this summer.

Comment

I hear hit and miss reviews on both the champion and smittybuilt. I would save a bit more money and go with a winch from a high quality brand name. I have my eye on the 9.0i from Superwinch with the synthetic winch line.
          MoabJeeper has a good article on winches. Give it a Google search or somebody might link for me...check it out.
          I agree with a winch plate. Save the money spent on an expensive bumper and put it toward the winch.
          I dont have a link but check out TSC in there trailer/towing/straps section. That is where I got mine. They have 2 mounting holes that will bolt right up to the upper mounting for the front bumper.
          Last edited by 98GP; 03-20-2009, 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Moabjeeper (http://www.moabjeeper.com/) did a huge in-the-field winch test some time back that amounted to a test to fail... with some surprising results iirc.
            A winch plate is the cheapest route, but not if you're concerned about traffic impacts, etc. In which case a winch bumper might be a better resource.

Comment

Working...
            X