X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RalphXJ
    Not to dissagree with everyone here, but I tryed synthetic oil at about 120k miles, and it leaked EVERYWHERE!

I had a very minor leak(what Jeep doesnt) with the normal oil. After I swtiched to Moblie1, it looked like I dumbed oil all over the bottom of my Jeep.

By 2000 miles I was a full quart low, and it was still leaking everywhere! I switched back to the cheap stuff and it has run fine since, and doesn't leak hardly at all!

I didn't see any reason to try the synthetic again. The 4.0L has been proven to live for well over 300k on normal oil, I dont see a reason to drop the cash for the expensive stuff! I buy the cheap stuff WalMart sells by the gallon.
    as has been proven time and time again, every jeep is different. from everyone i've talked to and heard from you are the exception to the rule as far as the leaks go.sure it wasnt just a pre-existing leak? may need new seals/gaskets anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by AFJeep
      as has been proven time and time again, every jeep is different. from everyone i've talked to and heard from you are the exception to the rule as far as the leaks go.sure it wasnt just a pre-existing leak? may need new seals/gaskets anyway.
      It didn't leak much before, and it hasn't leak much since. Just when I had the "good stuff" in there. I'm sure new seals and gaskets wouldn't hurt, but it runs like a top so why mess with it!

Comment

Oil leaks dont get better they get worse.

Comment

Everyone has a different opinion on this one. I would always break in a motor with standard oil and do the first oil change at 2500km/ 1500miles or at least a filter change at that point. More wear occurs during break in than any other time as things seat ect. Synthetic slows this down. It is a verifiable point. I have seen dyno charts when i was racing of motors that were broken in with synthetic and with regular. The reg oil made more power as things broke in properly due to better seating. However after the first or second oil change when the switch is made you will make more power for longer with synthetic. Plus seat of the pants impression that synthetics help things from going boom if used long term. I switched to conventional due to a sponsorship and started blowing stuff up.

Back to oil change intervals for a sec. IMO the idea that you can go longer between oil changes is crap. Just because our cars are safer with airbags ect doesn't mean we can drive full bore into another car and it will be ok. It just means there is more protection just like with synthetic oil. Doesn't mean you should take the extra protection for granted.

I always use full synthetic and change it promptly at 5000km. I also change my $5 filter at 2500km. It is a little thing but I always know my filter is working well and is NEVER clogged. The filter is more important than the oil in many ways. I am not saying you need a super high buck K and N or filter like that. Just change it like clockwork. If you are tight for cash and can't afford to change your oil for what ever reason at least change the filter. If the filter is clogged the best oil in the world won't do squat as it won't get where it is needed. Plus if it is clogged there is a reason and that problem will only get worse if the filter is not changed.

Good oil and regular oil and filter changes (and regular level checks) are the keys to making the motor last. When in doubt change it out. Put synthetic in if it gives you peace of mind.

Comment

just more info

Funny thing about this topic, we just had this discussion in another forum that I talk on. we basically had all the same comments execpt for one of our members "eduelly" had some realy input on the subject. http://bbb.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/ult...;f=38;t=010924 check it out.

Comment

AFJeep, you're not seriously considering pulling 15k out of synth? Think about how we use our Jeeps, and 3-5k is the max I'd stretch it. Because my Jeep's not a dd, and used strictly for wheeling, I actually change mine out every 1.5k, which you may think is overkill, until you think about engine hours. I can have my Jeep on for 12 straight hours on a tough trail and only put maybe 15-20 miles on the odomoter. I drove my Saab for 12 straight hours and put 700 miles on the odomoter.

Just something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by nuttzach
                i wish i could ask the guy who put a million miles on a saab what type of oil he put in.
                I own a Saab, so I get email newsletters every month or so with "Saab News." He used synthetic! The article never mentioned what brand or viscosity, but it was synth. Saab's also giving him a brand new 9-5 in exchange for his Saab w/over 1,000,000 miles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by muddymoose
                  So I can therefore reason that my oil has held up great for the last 3000 miles, hasn't given me any problems, so I don't need to change it?
                  This is a much better anaolgy than mine.

But I really needed to work Jenna Jameson into the thread somehow.

Comment

I would like to switch to synthetic oil, but I cannot tell if I truly have an oil leak. I mean, there is a slight oil film here and there, but I can't tell it it is actually leaking. I guess one of the only ways to find out is to completly degrease the whole engine, and see at the next oil change, or run synthetic and wait for a leak. But that could possibly cause alot of problems and be quite expensive to replace all the gaskets.

However I will use synthetic in the trans, as there are no traces of leaks anywhere, and the shifting has become quite difficult, somtimes when its really cold I can't even get into 2nd gear.

I read that thread that Hellboy posted and one guy said he gain gas mileage from using synthetic gear lube in the axles, and trans.

Comment

True, you will gain mileage, but imho, the difference is negligible. Sort of like shaving your head to lose weight. You will, but that shouldn't be the main reason to do it. I actually went from synthetic to mineral in my diffs at my last change. I was using 75w-140 synth in my diffs, but it was getting mighty expensive to change them after playing in creeks, so now I'm using 85w-140. It's about a third of the price, and I have had no problems.

Comment

Yeah the gas mileage isn't my reason for switching. I don't spend alot of time in mud and water, I like rock crawling and trails. It would be fine for me to switch because I don't like sloppy mud and creeks, and plus the jeep is the DD when I'm not at college. My trips are almost always very short, like 10 miles or less, and in the winter, it barely has enough time to warm up then it has to sit again. The synthetic will be great for that.

I may not switch in the engine but will for sure in all the drive train.

Comment

How many miles do you want to get out of it? If you change the conventional oil and filter and check it regularly it will go 300k without an oil related failure. If you do the same with synthetic you will also get 300k and the motor will have less wear inside. But it is still inside an old worn out 300k vehicle. How much more can you expect to get? I tried synthetic in my mud truck a couple times, ending up wasting it because I changed the oil so much due to swamping the truck under water every weekend. 3000 mile interval is too often for DD vehicles, conventional is good to 6000 miles before it starts breaking down. If it gets too dirty due to dusty environment, that's a different story, but just regular driving at regular engine temps won't break it down pre-maturely. And if you are changing synthetic at 3000 miles you are just throwing money away. I would go 10k on synthetic, but I use conventional and change it every 5k in my diesel 1 ton. The 3000 mile oil change fallacy was perpetrated by the oil companies and the quick lube joints back in the late eighties early nineties because they want to sell twice as much oil. Look at Europe, they change their oil on a 6000 mile interval and their engines are fine. This is just what I have learned after doing a lot of reading, and I actually managed a couple of quick change places way back when, worked as a Pennzoil affiliate. Unfortunately there is now an unlimited amount of information available that can statistically document whatever you choose to believe. I believe what I feel is true based on my experience, but there are a zillion other people out there that are convinced otherwise.

Comment

Like I said, I probably won't switch to syth in the engine, but the drive train, trans, axles, and transfer case. I would like to switch. They are due soon anyway and I would like to put a high quality synthetic in the transfer case and transmission to see if it will improve the difficult shifting.

Comment

I've heard good things about Royal Purple, and I believe our host sells their products!

Comment

Northstar, I do agree that 3k miles is overkill for today's vehicle driven under average conditions. And by average, I do mean what they define as "severe" in your typical owner's manual. Idling, high engine speeds at high temperatures, stop and go... etc. - that just describes my commute to work! But now think about a Jeep and how it's used off-road... 4lo, 5000 rpm's on the tach doing 3 mph up and over boulders, high load, low speed situations in mud, etc. etc. etc. If a Jeep is used purely in these types of situations, don't you think a 15k oci (even on synth) might be stretching it?

Comment

Working...
                                X