X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, I need help

I am soon going to purchase a Bestop Softop, but the only problem is I have a hard top right now. I do not have the mounting hardware/bolts to install a soft top. I was doing some research and in the soft top accesories section of 4wd's website they offer what looks to be what I need? As I looked further into it, I might need the snap clips too? I also just purchased the "new and improved" torx bolts for mounting a hardtop to the tub, should I take these back or are these going to be used on my soft top? Here are some specs to help out:
    1988 Wrangler YJ
    Hard top to tub takes 8 torx bolts
    Full Steel Doors

If anyone wants to IM me and help a poor girl out that would be more then appreciated, thanks.

You do not need the hard top mounting hardware for a soft top. I know one of the tops has all the hardware needed, call the 4WDH tech line and they will let you know exactly which one.

Comment

By the time you buy the softtop and the frame, you may as well go for the Supertop. It would be easier and probably cheaper too. If you've already got full hard doors to go with your hardtop, then the Supertop is the only softtop that will fit those doors due to the rounded upper part. You can also get any other door combination when ordering it such as 2 piece soft doors or soft uppers to go in steel half doors. Plus I think the Supertop folds easier, not from experience mind you, I've just asked many questions to learn about these things.

Comment

If you are wanting to go with something that is like the stock hardware, the new 4wd catalog has the Smittybuilt Outland top that you can order with their frame, but I'm not so sure about their quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Blupupher
          You do not need the hard top mounting hardware for a soft top. I know one of the tops has all the hardware needed, call the 4WDH tech line and they will let you know exactly which one.
          I think you misunderstood what I was saying sorry. I was saying that in the accesories section of the soft top part of the online catalog, 4WD sells the soft top hardware for $149 I wanted to make sure it is "OEM like" or would fit the Supertops. I am also reading into the super tops in the catalog and it "seems" like it comes with the hardware but I am not sure if its everything. Here is what they say:
          Originally posted by 4WD Catalog
          The Supertop comes with all mounting hardware, bow assembly, belt rail system, windshield channel and typed and video installation instructions.
          and here is the description of the smitty built hardware:
          Originally posted by 4WD Catalog
          Now you can replace that old worn-out Factory bow assembly hardware on YJ Wranglers. Includes all mounting hardware, all OEM metal components of the factory assembly and comes with Ultimate Speader Bars, allowing you to tighten or loosen the tension setting of the top. Your existing tailgate retainer bar, plastic vertical windshield channels will need to be reused. Tough durable black finish provides long life.
          Sorry if I seem really dense, I just don't want to spend a little over half a grand and end up not getting what I need.

Comment

The last quote you listed there is all the factory soft top hardware. That does not inclued the top itself. The Supertop from Bestop is an all inclusive top. It has the new hardware, bow assy, spreader bars etc. etc. This also includes a new top. The nice part about the Supertop is that you can get them with full soft doors, upper door halfs, and you can use them with the factory full steel doors. They are a very nice top, I had one for a while, then I went with the half cab.

Comment

You still sound a bit confused, let's try to summarize everything...

Supertop - comes with EVERYTHING YOU NEED. Top, hardware, everything. The Supertop frame CAN NOT be used with another top, but when it wears out you can call Besttop to buy a replacement. That's what they said when I called and asked, and I'm assuming it's at a lower price since you don't need everything again.

Your last quote does describe just the frame, no top included. But Smittybilt also has a complete package like the Supertop that includes their frame and their Outland softtop. HERE is a link to the complete Smittybilt package that includes the top and hardware.

Since you have a hard top then I guess you must have either full hard doors or half doors with an upper that works with the top. With the Supertop, you will be able to use those full hard doors which would be great in spring/fall. You won't be able to use those with the Smittybilt because it's designed like the factory original hardware. For the Smittybile you also have to buy softtop door seals and locking clips, both of which can be found in the softtop accessories section that you were looking in.

I think that in the end, the Supertop would be your least expensive and highest quality route. Also when I talked to Besttop I asked about a sailcloth version of the Supertop and the guy told me that they were working on one.

Comment

I vote for the Besttop Supertop. I got one last March for my birthday and it's awesome. It comes with EVERYTHING you need all in one box. You don't need any of the hardware from the factory hard top. This would be the cheapest way to go from hardtop to softtop, (which is what I did last year). The initial installation of the supertop was frustrating, but after I let it down the second time my girlfriend and I are now able to put it down or up in less than 2 minutes (I timed it ). It also took me less than an hour to completely dissasemble it, pack it, and install the hard top this winter. Get what you need, but the Supertop works for me!

--David

Comment

Okay Budget, I got what you were saying and what everyone else was saying, I just typed it out wrong. Supertop is also $100+ cheaper then the Smittybuilt also. Thanks for the guidance in the right direction and I will definatley be purchasing a SuperTop sometime this week. But to answer my small question from the beginning, should I take back the bolts I purchased that bolt down the hard top to the tub? I have never installed a soft top so I am unsure if attatching it to the tub is similar.

Oh, and yea, my other hard choice is what color to go with. Black denim or charcoal hrmmmmm. (My Jeep is Red)
                  Last edited by SexyYJ88; 02-15-2005, 04:50 PM.

Comment

takeing back the bolts?
                    It depends on how the rail attaches. Mine ataches with trox bolts along the top of the tub. So you problly need them anyway

Comment

I'm assuming you'll keep the hard top for winter months? If so, just store those w/ the hard top, then you have an extra set.

Comment

Originally posted by SexyYJ88
                        Oh, and yea, my other hard choice is what color to go with. Black denim or charcoal hrmmmmm. (My Jeep is Red)
                        What color is your interior?
                        that's would be a good choice to use, (so it will match)
                        or do what I did and just buy black,
                        because black goes with any color interior or exterior.
                        just a suggestion

Comment

I know i might get hated for sayin this but, take the cheap way out ,,,, go to a junk yard and get whatever hardware u need off an wrecked jeep around the same year, "for way less" and then order your top to fit

Comment

1 - Keep the bolts for when you put your hard top back on. This guy goes thru a complete installation of his Supertop so you can see what the rail looks like.

2 - As for color, I'd match the interior. What color is your hardtop? I've been told that black fades quicker when it's outside all the time, but if you put your hardtop back on in the winter then maybe it'll last longer?

3 - I would never buy softtop hardware from a junked Jeep. I'd spend the extra $$ and save the frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by BudgetWheeler
                              1 - Keep the bolts for when you put your hard top back on. This guy goes thru a complete installation of his Supertop so you can see what the rail looks like.

2 - As for color, I'd match the interior. What color is your hardtop? I've been told that black fades quicker when it's outside all the time, but if you put your hardtop back on in the winter then maybe it'll last longer?

3 - I would never buy softtop hardware from a junked Jeep. I'd spend the extra $$ and save the frustration.
                              1. I am not keeping my hard top I am selling it. It has no rear hatch window and they are a PITA to find/install and right now it's tax season, so I do not have the time to try and mess with it.

2. My interior is grey, I do not seen many red Wranglers with gray tops around my area so that would be different while matching. I also feel gray is a neutral tone (girlie side coming out...) so it wouldn't absorb the heat as much as as black would during the spring/summer months.

3. I definately agree the junkyards around here are pretty nasty anyways. I could be getting a top from a smoker, dirty bastard, or just a guy who didn't give a crap. I actually went to the junkyard to find a hard top replacement or rear hatch window. The owner tried to convince me that the CJ7 top would fit.

is what I had to say to him

Comment

Working...
                              X