X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She just won't run

My 85 CJ just won't stay running for very long. She usually quits at just about the same time that I start thinking about turning on the electric fan. She looses power, coughs a bit, then dies. If I count to ten, she starts right back up (after some cranking) I thought module at first since the one I was running still said AMC on it, but that did not help. My lovely wife pointed out that it has nearly the same symptoms as my old blazer when the fuel pump went out, so I slapped on my trail spair, no luck. I am getting used to it, so I can flutter the gas and keep her running, or I pull over and let her idle a bit, then I can go a few hundred yards more.

My mechanic friend thinks the fuel pickup in the tank is plugged, but I have checked my glass filter before the FP and it always has fuel in it.

Any suggestions on what to check next?

P.S. I have bypassed the computer, so she is out of the loop. Carb is off a 1980 Eagle, so no stepper motor.

Intermittent dying...

It's SO much better when they just quit and stay quit isn't it, Tracaym? You seem to have been concentrating on fuel. Once, I had 'similar' symptoms and it turned out to be a 'cheap' fuel pump from Advance. The pump was working (I have the glass filter, too) it just couldn't provide enough flow at higher engine speed. (Throwin' the two cents at you... keep that in mind.) I remembered this situation when you said that you 'put the trail spare on'. My problem was confounding as all get out because I replaced my own fuel pump with yet another 'poor quality' pump and could not correct the problem. I was 'repairing' it, I just wasn't 'fixing' it... I finally 'pondered/reflected and GUESSED' about the situation enough to order a high flow pump from 4WD and my ills were cured. If you think your ignition stuff is okay this is just food for thought as you go about solving yet another Jeep mystery. Also, could it be that your ignition module is suffering from 'heat stress' or old age? You said it still had AMC on it. Good luck, Tracaym.

Comment

I had the same problem w/my 304 & it turned out to be the float in the carb so I bought a new one & set it & it was fine. It maybe time for a rebuild on that carter, it doesn't cost much & it's a lot easier than dropping the tank which I don't think is the problem.

Just a thought,
      RollBar

Comment

Well, I just rebuilt the carb a couple of months ago, but it may be worth a look to open her up and see what is happening.

A new fuel pump may be a good idea too, since my trail spare is a used pump that I got off another motor.

I just wish there was a way to tell if the pickup was pluggend or not. I had the tank down last year when I was troubleshooting the fuel gauge, and it looked ok, not a lot of rust or anything like that. I even blew out the line with compressed air the other day....You should really take the fuel cap off when doing that, as it does build pressure and shoot fuel back at you when you stop.

Comment

do you think it's possible that it's heating up the fuel line somewhere and you may be getting vapor lock?

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
            do you think it's possible that it's heating up the fuel line somewhere and you may be getting vapor lock?

I even went so far as to relocate the fuel filter from on top of the intake manifold to hose clamped to the grill support rod, no luck. There are no other sources of heat near any of the supply lines (return lines yes, but that won't matter will it?)

Comment

Don't know if you've fixed your problem, but if you haven't and you have a catalytic converter you might take a look at that. I had an '81 bronco that acted a lot like what you're saying and the converter was stopping up.

Comment

Nope, no cat.

It is kind of a Frankenstein Jeep, 85 body, 77 motor, 80 carb, 83 manifold, 95 roll bar, blazer seats, etc. no emmisions testing in Chubbuck, so no one cares. I even called the state DOT and told them what I have and they could not tell me if I needed to put a cat on, even in Boise where they do test emmisions.

Anyway, I haven't taken any realy long trips to test her out yet, but she seems to have fixed herself, as I havje not had a lick of trouble in about two weeks. I realy hate it when a problem "fixes itself"

Comment

I once got a really bad tank of gas. It kinda ran like that for a while. Maybe that could have happened. Did you get new gas lately? Did this start happeneing after a new tank of gas?

Comment

Id did start right after filling up, but I filled her at the same station I always use and none of my other rigs had any trouble, of course all the others are FI, and none of them were filled the same day. I think I'll just talk the wife into the 20 gal poly tank and see what happeds

Comment

Hey that pressure build up in the tank is kinda odd. Most of them tanks have multiple vent lines coming out of the top ..are they kinked or plugged up? You may be not getting any air into the tank as the fuel comes out. Thus creating a vacuuum and the fuel won t come out.Justa thot.

Comment

I though about that too, but the lines and hoses all look good, the charcoal canister is set up correctly and I have no way of testing or replacing that vapor separator/rollover valve. I know there is junk in the tank (I can see particles building up on my pre-filter) so that has been my main focus.

Comment

Drive it with the fuel cap off. If it runs right then you know that is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jeep450
                            Drive it with the fuel cap off. If it runs right then you know that is the problem.

Hmm, thats an idea, not a great one since I would leave a fuel trail at every stoplight till I reached 1/2 a tank. Oh well, I'm just about that low now, so if she acts up again, I'll give it a shot.

Comment

[QUOTE=tracraym]Hmm, thats an idea, not a great one since I would leave a fuel trail at every stoplight till I reached 1/2 a tank.

Since you already know that will happen then i'm sure it can't be your problem
                              why do people ask for help and then slam them when they give it? that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X