X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music change

Well was at Myrtle Beach 2 weeks ago and the only radio stations down there are playing rap / hip-hop. My 2 girls 9 and 7 love that music. I personally luv the rock / punk / metal music, but I have found myself listening to the local rap / hip-hop stations more and more this week. Is it a generational thing? Cause I was hoping to keep them liking the rock thing, but now I am listening to more of their music and enjoying most of it. I am trying to keep up with the times and keep connection with my girls. I cant stand when I get into an "old" persons car and here the 50's and 60's music and they dont want to hear anything else. So I guess what I am ranting about is keep up with your children. Ask them what they like and try it. You might just change your point of view. Instead of allienating yourself.

Originally posted by sbacon
    So I guess what I am ranting about is keep up with your children. Ask them what they like and try it. You might just change your point of view. Instead of allienating yourself.
    Too late.
    My kids already think I'm an alien... or at least from another planet.

I figure I've got another 10 years or so before they decide I'm kinda normal after all.

Comment

Originally posted by sbacon
      I cant stand when I get into an "old" persons car and here the 50's and 60's music and they dont want to hear anything else.
      I like most of the 50's and 60's stuff. Although, thats all my parents listened too when i was growing up, so I got used to listening to it! On the other hand, i can't stand Rap or Hip-hop or most of the other crap like that! I'd much rather listen to classic rock and "oldies" then most of the new crap out there!

Comment

Be strong, SBACON, it's pretty much a phase. Mine are 18 & 16 and went through the rap crap through middle school. Now they both listen to country but appreciate my 70's/ 80's rock. They even come running to let me hear a new song that is usually a remake. Kinda funny. I was concerned for a few years also. Now, the live front row, AEROSMITH, KISS, AC/DC concerts helped.

Comment

I listen mostly to metal and alternative with a few other things thrown in there. I dunno if it is my mood or what but the last few weeks I have been listening to a lot of New Age music. I am not an incense burning new age yoga loving hippy but I am really enjoying this stuff. I wonder if merging two new companies into ours, new storage implementation, and the dozen other projects I have to get finished before the fiscal year is up (Oct. 1) have anything to do with it? In case anyone is interested give this a try http://www.live365.com/stations/kevintw

Comment

Bacon here you go get the best of both mixed up worlds. http://www.snsmix.com/

Comment

I can see Steves wife dancing to some Lil Jon

Comment

expanding one's horizons...

Bacon, beat them until they listen to your music and like doing it.

Man, I hear you on trying to keep up but I CAN NOT take the rap stuff. When you cut your teeth on fantastic rock and roll and wonderful voices it's just too hard a stretch to do the rap thing and enjoy it. I've tried my best then realized that if I'm having to try that hard then it's not going to an enjoyable pursuit.

However, a poet told me that rap is essentially poetry set to one of those poet terms, iambic pentameter or some crap like that. So, maybe I just don't get it. (Wouldn't be the first time.)

It's cool you're doing it for your girls, though.

Comment

I would consider myself a failure as a parent if my 7 year old daughter listened to, let alone enjoyed, rap & hip hop.

Sinatra all the way.

Comment

You won't have a clue 'til you get there

Comment

I can't do the rap crap. Making rymans about drugs and killing people while your pants are around your knees and they hold their genitals. Not for me. I like MUSIC not garbage.

Comment

good grief...

Procreation can be a scary reality. What will the next generation think constitutes music? I see it clearly when I listen to the American Standards stuff. Rock and Roll followed on the heals of that music. No wonder the parents of the fifties freaked out. Rap is to Rock as Rock was to the Standards. Teenagers are by nature a rebellious sort. (I was for a fact.) I understand the reason now. I knew everything when I was a teenager.

I think one of the reasons rap rules the way it does is because so many older folk don't like it.
                        Last edited by blackwater; 08-02-2006, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
                          Man, I hear you on trying to keep up but I CAN NOT take the rap stuff. When you cut your teeth on fantastic rock and roll and wonderful voices it's just too hard a stretch to do the rap thing and enjoy it. I've tried my best then realized that if I'm having to try that hard then it's not going to an enjoyable pursuit.
                          You mean like Bob Dylan and Neil Young?

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep
                            You mean like Bob Dylan and Neil Young?
                            Howzabout Etta James? That better?

All is relative, Tom. I would say Bob sounds like Dean Martin next to some of these rappers.

Comment

Don't forget Dr. HOOK and Leon Russel

Comment

Working...
                              X