X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock TJ trail rides?

Just curious. I have been looking at a LOT of pics and threads about trail riding and havent seen many Jeeps on stock suspension/tires. I'd imagine a tad more agressive tire than stock is manditory, but was wondering about suspension. Are there many ppl that ride on stock suspension and off road?

I dont want to void my warranty if I can help it, but I didnt buy this Jeep to be a pavement queen either. If I can avoid changing out the suspension for a while, I'd LOVE to spend some time in a wheelwell deep mudhole.

as long as you have some decent A/T's you will be fine...im at sstock height in my YJ (after a little spring sagging) get out ther and get er muddy. oh ya since ur stock take a buddy and a good tow rope...happy wheelin

Comment

Originally posted by sreno0207
      as long as you have some decent A/T's you will be fine...im at sstock height in my YJ (after a little spring sagging) get out ther and get er muddy. oh ya since ur stock take a buddy and a good tow rope...happy wheelin
      Any recommendations as to brand/size? I was reading the tire guides and see that at stock I can go wit ha 30x9.5 and not rub. I was thinking about looking for a decient 30x9.5/15 but will that require wider rims and fenderflare extenders (note: i'm in PA where tires cant go past hte wheel wells)

Comment

BFGoodrichs all the way or i have a les schwab brand i'm not sure if they have les schwabs on the east coast so these may not be a possibility for you but i have their wildcat EXT's and i find that their tread design is way more aggresive than all terrains and mud terrains

Comment

took mine off road a couple times with stock setup work'd great just pick your path and watch out for 3foot ruts doh

Comment

You will be fine for most trails stock. Your tire size info is correct. My son used the same size tires on the stock rims on his '98 Sahara and got by very well. Some of us have gone a little crazy with mods, especially suspensions, to allow us to try more difficult stuff.

JK

Comment

I went to the Palo Duro Jeep Jamboree with a Stock TJ (30x9.5" GSA's) running with some Jeeps with 35's. I only got stuck 2x, and did almost everything they did. It is those few things I didn't do and the 2x I got stuck that I (and others) upgrade. A stock Jeep can do very well, and a modified can do even better.

Pics from Palo Duro

Comment

Go with 31x10.50"s ATs. Mine rub a little on full turn.

Comment

I HAVE A 2004 JEEP TJ.. JUST GOT IT IN OCT... WHAT I DID SO FAR WAS FRONT TO REAR SKID PLATES.. PRO COMP 31 10.50 15 MUD TIRES AND YESTERDAY BOUGHT A HI-LIFT JACK.. AND I HAVE FUN EVERY WEEKEND
                  dAVE FROM LEBANON

Comment

i have some off brand 235 75 15's they do me jsut fine except in the deep mud holes...lol other than that im stock....

Comment

Originally posted by tree trimmer
                      I HAVE A 2004 JEEP TJ.. JUST GOT IT IN OCT... WHAT I DID SO FAR WAS FRONT TO REAR SKID PLATES.. PRO COMP 31 10.50 15 MUD TIRES AND YESTERDAY BOUGHT A HI-LIFT JACK.. AND I HAVE FUN EVERY WEEKEND
                      dAVE FROM LEBANON
                      Hehe, my cap lock on my laptop sticks from time to time too.. I LOVE that. hehe. My wife yells at me for sending her IMs and stuff @ work in random caps. lol. The worst is when you type out a really long heart filled letter or message and then look at the screen or away from the TV and realize you just typed out a whole beer commercial in caps, rather than the loving thoughts you wanted to. hehe

Anyhow... I am also looking at skid plates. Do they reduce any clearance, or is it so slim it don't matter? If I get the plates, I want Front, Rear and Transfer Case plates. Is this the way to go?

I'll probably stick with the 30x9.5-15 on stock rims for now. No rub > any rub at $100/tire in my opinion. If it weren't for bad luck ... you know the rest. I'd rather not defy fate. lol

Comment

Originally posted by mithuth
                        Hehe, my cap lock on my laptop sticks from time to time too.. I LOVE that. hehe. My wife yells at me for sending her IMs and stuff @ work in random caps. lol. The worst is when you type out a really long heart filled letter or message and then look at the screen or away from the TV and realize you just typed out a whole beer commercial in caps, rather than the loving thoughts you wanted to. hehe
                        ......playin lol

Comment

Originally posted by sreno0207
                          ......playin lol

Sorry, wasn't loving my wife macho enough for a Jeep site... 8P

Comment

Also check out the cooper discoverers. Prety cost effective, quiet, and good grip. I had them on my 97 sport with no lift, stock rims and 31x10.5 15's. No rub when flexed, just a little when turning full lock. You could even turn out your steering stops a little if you go this route.

Comment

My jeep is stock height and I was told just to add armor. I have Poison Spyder rocker knockers, a kilby gas tank skid, and I think a steering box skid for christmas. I went on the Oct 15 paragon run, we did mostly blues I'd say. With the help of everyone else I followed along fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X