X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Junkie

Is it just me or is it normal to use any Jeep project as an excuse to buy new tools. My latest project on my YJ has given me the excuse to buy a new floor jack, a ball joint and tie rod tool kit, a new torque wrench (there was nothing wrong with my old one) a 2 1/2 foot breaker bar and a new impact wrench. (again nothing wrong with the old one... I just wanted a bigger one) and now tommorrow I have convinced myself to go out and buy a blast cabinet and new sand blaster so I can clean all traces of rust off of my front axle, steering knuckle and frame before painting and reassembly.... stop me before I buy again.

My tool box would be empty if it wasn't for my Jeep. I got into the bad habit of buying a new tool everytime I start a different project or repair

Comment

i used to work for vw so i had lots of tools already but all metric. so when i bought my jeep i went on a major shopping spree. then as i began to fab stuff i realized i should by the right stuff to make the job easier. and of course not just any tool would suffice it had to be the best! i could have gotten a chop saw for 40 bucks at harbor freight but it wasnt a 5hp motor!
      bigger jack stands, air assist engine hoist and so on just cuz i could!

Comment

you'll never get anything done with that trackle box or cardboard box of tools . i buy tools anything to make my job go by easier and faster . tools and my jeep are 2 main things i use my pay check for .

Comment

My problem is that I can not seem to buy only the tool I go for, if I go in for just a certain pry bar I have to get a whole set, plus the new screwdriver set that looks better than my old one, plus a new rachet, plus a new this or that, its killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis
            Is it just me or is it normal to use any Jeep project as an excuse to buy new tools. My latest project on my YJ has given me the excuse to buy a new floor jack, a ball joint and tie rod tool kit, a new torque wrench (there was nothing wrong with my old one) a 2 1/2 foot breaker bar and a new impact wrench. (again nothing wrong with the old one... I just wanted a bigger one) and now tommorrow I have convinced myself to go out and buy a blast cabinet and new sand blaster so I can clean all traces of rust off of my front axle, steering knuckle and frame before painting and reassembly.... stop me before I buy again.
            My friend you are dead on the money!!!!! More tools is always a good thing. Hell look at my wifes closet...she has enough purses for about one a month.

Comment

so i went to the mall to buy a pair of pants and the mall had a sears in it. well needless to say i got a few new craftsman items in my box!

Comment

I don't have that problem. I just buy the tools regardless. My father instilled that in me. If you have tools, you have ten times the money, because tools will save you money. If you don't believe me, price out how much it would cost to have someone else fix your broken stuff. That has stayed with me and I bought a crap load of tools. I have spent almost as much in tools as I have my jeeps.
                Oh, the other main point my father drilled home that stayed with me, always get the FSM's. Thanks dad, you did make my life easier.

Comment

I'm still stuck with my parents..... ..rents free.
                  They keep saying if I buy one more *#$)#*% tool they will make me live in the garage with my tools.

Comment

My automotive mentor used to say, "If necessity is the mother of invention, then desparation is the wh*re of necessity." He was also the ONLY man that I knew that had the Snap-On truck stop by his house WEEKLY with the latest and greatest.

Comment

as an excuse to buy new tools.
                      you need an excuse? "I buy tools...therefore I am"

i don't think there are too many tools i don't have. if i don't have it it's because i don't want it...like torx bits.

Comment

"HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS, WINS"

Enough said...

Comment

Is it just me or is it normal
                          Definitely normal

Comment

Is it just me or is it normal to use any Jeep project as an excuse to buy new tools.
                            You think You got it bad... Not only does the Jeep make me do this but I am also a Woodworker....

Wholly crap you should see my barn!...Every project needs a tool I do not presently own.

My excuses are running thin though I think the wife has caught on... She now needs new shoes for ever outfit shes got!

COMPROMISE is the name of that game!

Comment

When you really know...

Okay, Guys, this is when you KNOW you have it bad. You're at a freakin' flea market and you see an 800 piece tool set for $3.99 and you have to talk yourself out of buying it...

Come to think of it, though, I think I fixed Myrtle the last time in the parking lot at Ryan's with a six dollar deal from Wally World...

Comment

Working...
                              X