X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NV4500 Tranny

im thinking of putting a NV4500 in my CJ5 im putting in dana 44's 36" km2's and im still looking for a transfer case although i already have one that came out of an international bus im not sure of the model but its a 2 1/2 ton transfer case any thoughts if this would be a good set up any thoughts would be apreciated and welcome to suggestions

thanks

Not sure of that particular transfer case, but I'd bet it's way too big and heavy to put in your CJ. I'd look for a good Dana 300 or spend the $ on an Atlas.

Comment

i thought that might be the case with that transfer case the only reason i got it was because it was free and it has a break on it what would you say about the tranny i know its made for a dodge but i have been told it can mate with my 258 I6 with an adaptor plate is it worth it or too much trouble

Comment

I have a NV4500 in my CJ7 and love it. The low first gear with overdrive is nice. However, it is long. This will really affect your rear driveshaft angle. It barely works in my CJ7 with a 4" suspension lift. If you don't plan on stretching the wheelbase of your CJ5, it will be very interesting to make it work.

Alos, go price all of the adapters from Advance Adapters or Novak. This swap will still cost some $$$.

Comment

are you putting in a 1000+ horsepower drag racing engine as well? just sayin' cause that tranny is huge, would be right at home in a dump truck. its super duper overkill in a Jeep. i mean, if the space shuttle had a transmission in it the NV4500 would be it.

Comment

no i still have the old 258 and i plan on keeping it and upgrading it but i have blown up several trannys including a 5 speed out of a 94 yj and another 3 speed from a cj5 and that is no fun to deal with so i want something strong

Comment

I think the 4500 will be too long for a CJ5. The adaptor needed stretch it out a good ways, not to mention, the 4500 is long in itself.

Might try a T-176 or T18 with a D300 behind it. Add 4:1 low range on the D300 and roll with it.

Comment

if you blew up a T-150 three speed then something else was wrong or the tranny itself was wore out.

Comment

i know people put them in cj7's is there a difference in the wheelbase im going to do a complete rebuild cause i finally have something else to drive so i can stretch it a little if i need to

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyBob View Post
                    i know people put them in cj7's is there a difference in the wheelbase im going to do a complete rebuild cause i finally have something else to drive so i can stretch it a little if i need to
                    The wheelbase of a CJ7 is longer. If you are willing to move the gas tank and stretch it, an NV4500 will work. However, it will cost some $$$. I would be certain it is what you want to do before committing. If I were you I would call Advance adapters or Novak and get an idea of everything you will need to convert it and then ask yourself if you want this transmission that bad. I really like mine, but the tranny was free and the conversion parts were cheaper then. Plus, you will have to get into stretching you jeep, etc to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by the Captain View Post
                      if you blew up a T-150 three speed then something else was wrong or the tranny itself was wore out.
                      I have to agree with this too. The T150 is very strong, breaking one is very hard to do. Now the D20 behind it can be snapped.....not easily, but it can be done. Ask me how I know?

Comment

i think im just going to go with the np435

Comment

Originally posted by Rttoys View Post
                          I have to agree with this too. The T150 is very strong, breaking one is very hard to do. Now the D20 behind it can be snapped.....not easily, but it can be done. Ask me how I know?
                          That wasn't my fault.....well, at leat I can push some of the blame on someone else (or the 38.5" tall tires that were bound up

Comment

the np435 is a fine choice, top of my list actually.

Comment

how did you manage to snap your transfer case before your axles the dana 20 is a strong piece of metal

Comment

Working...
                              X