X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think conventional wisdom is.....yes.
    Provided everything is in tip top shape.
    D-Rings are rated at least 4 times under their working load capacitys so odds are they will never fail.
    Tow straps on the other hand fail all the time.
    If the tow strap were to fail with a metal object attached, that would be bad.

I dont like using chains either but I must admit I dont understand the difference between using a steel chain and a steel rope. The only difference I can see is a braded wire rope you can see frays in it as it begins to fail, a chain will just fail.

Having been said
    It is sometimes hard to read the sarcasim in someones voice on the internet....my apologies my man.

Comment

Well, one thing for sure is that if you are going to use a D-ring dont put it on the two sides like that. Its not rated to be pulled like that. Pull from the loop to the screw...

Comment

In a jam - with no stick or other such "separating device" available, what about running one strap through a loop of the other and connecting both loops of that strap to the vehicle? I know you lose half the length of that strap, but that may be enough extra to help.

Comment

Perhaps what is being overlooked is the fact that any extrication is dangerous. Whether using chains, straps or steel rope you must always KNOW what you are doing and exercise caution.

Avain what's cool about you is you can use your leg for a stick to keep the straps from fusing.

BTW apologies accepted. LOL

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. It took me a while to get around to it (lot of parts came in for the Heep), but I finally soaked the straps in hot water and pounded the knot a bit and got them apart. Worked like a charm.

Thanks also for the tips on using the stick and how not to use D-rings!

Comment

Originally posted by mjo79
              In a jam - with no stick or other such "separating device" available, what about running one strap through a loop of the other and connecting both loops of that strap to the vehicle? I know you lose half the length of that strap, but that may be enough extra to help.
              If you can afford to lose half the length of a strap then why would you need to connect two together? you would just use one strap..... I can see doubling the capacity your way but....

also I dont think I've ever been wheeling anywhere that a stick was unavailiable.... actually i could probably find a stick anywhere but say manhatten....

ON A SIDE NOTE-
              one of my first few times wheeling I decided to buy a tow strap... went to autozone and picked it up.... first stuck(not me) i pull out my 20,000 pound strap and everyone started giving me the lecture.... my tow strap had hooks..... embarrased by my stupidity, I promptly put it away and never brought it back out.... now that I know better i will never pull anyone with metal anything except a winch cable....

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKOUT
                If you can afford to lose half the length of a strap then why would you need to connect two together? you would just use one strap..... I can see doubling the capacity your way but....
                he means doubling back only one strap. ------------------======, kinda like this. two 30 ft straps with one doubled back will give you 45ft, still giving you more than just 30.

Comment

Working...
                X