Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally done

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...7_361_full.jpg

after the usual SNAFUs (broken brake line, stuck bleeders, another loose brake line connection, leaking axle seal, and an unexpected driveshaft shortening)....*sigh*....i finally have a locked 87 xj dana 44 under my jeep.

Thats great! How hard was the swap?

Comment

well, swapping the axle was a piece of cake...except...first we broke the hard brake line on th subframe...then i noticed the driveshaft needed shortened about 1-3/4"...then an outer axle seal started leaking (permatex gasket maker fixed that)...then the bleeders were stuck (torch fixed that)...and finally after a test drive with total brake failure i found a leaking connection that was fixed with the turn of a wrench...yup...that 5 day direct swap was easy as cake. just goes ot show you, replace seals, measure driveshafts, and brake bleeders loose before the swap...and double check your connections.

Comment

Yeaaaaa!

Comment

Nice! work there. I just got in my rockcrusher diff guard and I'm thinking I'm going to tear into that thing next weekend.
          I got a D44 out of an 87 asweel.
          I got the diff guard for it.
          I got the 4:56 gears for it.
          I got all the part numbers for break stuff.
          I got the 2x6x1/4 rectubing for the truss.
          I want the alloy shafts and locker but no $$$$$ for that right now. maybe after I get my tax money.

Comment

Congrats on the swap Josh! Now get out there and tear that thing up!

BTW, got the brackets. Thanks dude! I'm on the lookout for me some Chebby tow hooks. If I can't find any for a reasonable price, I'll just pick up some Jeep ones.

Comment

i was wondering if you got those or not. check your local junk yards for the tow hooks.

Comment

Great to see you got the swap done, looks nice. Been wheeling with it?

Comment

Now go out and try to break it!!!!

Comment

ya i took it for a quick test flight on some back roads. today since shool is canceled i think ill try and get some offroading in.

Comment

Working...
                    X