X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing Setup Question

My stock setup was P215R75 tires,4.0L, AUTO) with 3.07 gears. Now, it is has 33s.

I have found an 8.8 axle with 3.73 gearing. Looking at gearing charts and tire size, regearing my jeep to 3.73 with 33s will put the jeep back to stock setup with rpms or close too(chart says the autos run higher RPMs). I will probably never run over 33s, or not at least for a long time.

Here is my dilemia if I get this axle. Should I:

1. Regear the front to match the back(3.73 gearing) and pay for a set of front gears and for the install.
    OR
    2. Use a practically free set of 4.10 gears for the front D30 and buy a new gear set for the 8.8 and pay for both installs.

Which will be the best setup. I run mostly on the highway when I do drive the jeep, and only offroad maybe once or twice a month.

Go with 3.73.
    I went with a set of 4.10 in my CJ-7 and now I wish I would have grabbed the 3.73. If you are more on the highway you will get better gas milage and top end speed with that set.

Comment

You don't say which auto you have, with the 3 speed, go with 3.73, with the 4 speed, go with 4.10.

Comment

Going with the 3.73 gearing will I notice much difference on the trail verus the 4.10s. I am new to this stuff so I don't understand alot about the gearing.

Comment

Originally posted by 93YJjeep
          Going with the 3.73 gearing will I notice much difference on the trail verus the 4.10s. I am new to this stuff so I don't understand alot about the gearing.
          The 4.10 will be better on the trails. But if you use this for your DD or large amount of highway you might want the 3.73.

Comment

Working...
          X