X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recharging my AC

I've owned my 91 yj for about 8 years and until now I've taken the windows off all summer every summer to try to preserve the plastic. So with my top mostly off in the hot months I figured I never really needed to deal with my AC.
    Now I've just suddenly got the notion to recharge the system just to see if I'll like using it if I had the option. Now, I don't really know very much about AC components and I've never even tried to mess with one before, but I'd like to give it a shot.
    So my question is this: if the '91 YJ is equipped to use the r12 coolent which is no longer available, do I have to do some sort of modifications to the system in order to be able to use the 134a? If so, what kind of mods are we talking about? Do they sell kits or could I find the pieces myself? Do I even need to do a conversion or can I just toss some 134 in and hope for the best?

You should completely evacuate the system to get all the R-12 oil out. You will need to replace the oil thats compatible with the new refrigerant. PAG oil (I think.) They make new fitttings (you will need to purchase) for your ports so you can hook-up the R-134 lines. The R-12 ports will not work at all. I would also replace all the o-rings. If there is anything else hopefully somebody else may know more or already have done it.

Comment