X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Battery in TJ

Is anyone running dual batteries in their TJ and do you have any pics of the mounting and/or the wiring to run em?

I've got an optima yellow top sitting in the garage, and 1 in the Jeep, and would like to figure out what I need to do to run install them both so I don't have to worry while winching out my stuck idiot friends... (cuz we l know we never get ourselves stuck. LOL)

Anything specific I need when wiring them, or is it as simple as from battery A to battery B to the fuse block? My concern is turning it into a 24V system on accident. lol What should I be doing/watching for when wiring these bad boys up?

Also, is the Monster Rack my only option, or is there another way to mount both batteries close to the stock location?

Thanks everyone in advance.
    (PS- I searched a lil bit, but didn't find what I was looking for)

Here is a quick serach on our site:

http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?PN=1&word=dual+battery

I don't have duals in mine, so I can't help that much. I would recommend some type of dual wiring setup so you don't mess up the voltage.

Comment

Thanks LoTGoD, this is the one I was looking at, and one similar to it:
      http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=40355

I was wondering how tight it fits installed, and what all I'd have to relocate to free up some space where it mounts. I'd really like to see some installed pics so I know what I'm getting into... lol

Last thing I want to do is ground out the (+) on the fender... OUCH!

Comment

Get the switch. I love mine.
        There are all sorts out there. The one from our host is the one I have and couldn't live without it.

Comment

If my eyes see correctly, the Smittybilt one is VERY similar to the Mean Green one. A buddy had the dual tray, but only one battery, Mean Green, and it fit just fine in his 97 with little or no mods.

Comment

I had a Tomken dual tray in my TJ...very husky piece and worked nicely. I was able to stuff 2 batteries in there. One in the stock location, and one under the heater hoses. I never installed a switch, I just wired them in line. I wasn't running a winch or anything, just a lot of gizmos and lighting. All it did (wired in line) is increase your CCA and make you able to run accessories longer with the engine off.

Comment

Tony, you're right that wiring them inline doesn't require switching, but it has the drawback of making the batteries "one" big battery... and if one is weaker than the other, it will kill the good one by drawing it down.
              I have the Tomken tray (but haven't gotten around to installing it, since attempting to work out of my garage (in this frikikin' complex) draws a crowd of Prius-driving onloookers that keep asking when I'm getting rid of the Jeeps.
              At any rate, the Tomken tray fits 2 Optimas, but if you do the select switch, you can swap back and forth between batteries manually, or you can get the solenoid switching system (something else to fail!).

Comment

Ok, the stacking tray is what I'm looking at, and it looks like I want the manual switch. The idea for my usage is so that when I am camping and listening to the radio all night, I can flip the switch to start the Jeep in the morning to get home. lol

Quick question about the switch... can I run battery A to dead, flip to battery B to start it, then flip it back to battery A while the engine is running, so I can recharge battery A?

Also, can I make my own wiring harness for it, or do I need to buy the complete assembly?
                The reason I ask; I have a single in/dual out power block from my old car stereo days. I could run both battery (+) to it and then run the single side to the fuse block, and use the fuse as the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep View Post
                  Tony, you're right that wiring them inline doesn't require switching, but it has the drawback of making the batteries "one" big battery... and if one is weaker than the other, it will kill the good one by drawing it down.
                  I have the Tomken tray (but haven't gotten around to installing it, since attempting to work out of my garage (in this frikikin' complex) draws a crowd of Prius-driving onloookers that keep asking when I'm getting rid of the Jeeps.
                  At any rate, the Tomken tray fits 2 Optimas, but if you do the select switch, you can swap back and forth between batteries manually, or you can get the solenoid switching system (something else to fail!).
                  The set up was in my TJ, which spent a lot of time in the garage and was only taken out on nice days. The Jeep was hooked up to a battery tender anytime it was parked.

So, when am I going to see a pic of your front drivers tire up on the hood of one of those Prius's? Or is it Pre-eye? I dunno...

Comment

Originally posted by mithuth View Post
                    Quick question about the switch... can I run battery A to dead, flip to battery B to start it, then flip it back to battery A while the engine is running, so I can recharge battery A?
                    Your Jeep's alternator was never intended to recharge a dead battery, but only to keep a charged battery fully charged.

Also, I would never run an Optima fully dead. All the ones that I have seen come in for exchage are because they went completely dead, and would not hold a charge.

Recharge the battery you used when you get home on a slow charger and all should be ok.

Comment

i am not sure if anyone else noticed but i have camped in my jeep(zj) and the radio would shut off as well as the lights before my battery would go beyond letting me start the jeep back up. i dont know if all jeeps are like this but i was very impressed with it and now i am not going to order one of those do-hickies they sell that do the exact same thing

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTJ View Post
                        The set up was in my TJ, which spent a lot of time in the garage and was only taken out on nice days. The Jeep was hooked up to a battery tender anytime it was parked.

So, when am I going to see a pic of your front drivers tire up on the hood of one of those Prius's? Or is it Pre-eye? I dunno...
                        These frikkin' Prius-pricks are such a pain... totally arrogant and convinced of their moral superiority!
                        And threatening to sue just because you look at them cross-eyed... while they drive along at 20 mph sipping their latte from Starbucks!
                        I have a couple of neighbors that insist on blocking my garage entrance by parking their little twit cars in front of it while they do something all-important in their house... threats to tow did no good... so my latest resort was to explain how a Jeep (with rock bumpers) works in 4w lo, and that I was going to push their hunk of junk off the small cliff at the end of the parking lot if they ever parked there again.
                        I promise video of the event if this has to occur.

Comment

Working...
                        X