Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hella lamp wiring.....

Hey there,
    I ran into a few issues with my supplier, to get my 4 optix hella lamps so I went with another company and got a set of 2 Hella 500's. I'm just looking over the wiring plan and notice i have to hook them to my highbeam wiring. (Is this saying when I turn on my high beams the 500's will turn off?) I want my lights solo -turn them on when i need them turn them off when i don't. It may be the legal way - but not the way i want to do this. What did the rest of you jeepers do? How would i rewire the lamps away from the high beams? This my weekend chore, trying to get it figured out before i start blowing fuses to get it away from my everyday lighting.

Thanks

You can always wire them to operate as a seperate circuit off the battery. I'm not sure what inspection regs you have in Canada, but usually aux. lighting is designed to come on only with the high beams, unless you are running fog lights. The reason you tap into the high beam wire is to prevent the lights from being used on low beam. In Virginia, if you had them operate independently, you would have to rewire them correctly every time you get the Jeep inspected. In either case, make sure you use a relay in your installation.

Comment

I had a dodge neon sport with aux lighting, and with high beams they would shut off. Not sure yet if this is the case.... Just the same Most factory car are like this.

I was just did a Google and found this link:
      http://jeepin.com/features/hella/index.asp

On the wiring plan where u should connect to high beams, he says connect to another constant hot wire (empty fuse line you got one). hmmmm.... think this is right?

Comment

That makes sense if you're runnig a relay. You need power from somewhere to energize it.

Comment

Again I do not know how your laws work but run all my lights on their own circuit. ie. switch, relay, fuse. If something happens to one set all others are ok.
          If ya need a simple drawing I can make you one.
          Let me know

Comment

which side of the light circut did they want it on? it may be that this is just a e-z place to tap for a large load of power

Comment

I looked on the Hella USA site and come across this:
              http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...F/Inst_450.pdf

The Instruction layout that came with the 500 kit is kinda wrong....they don't have the rocker switch wire properly. But this wire diagram explains it better, if you want your rocker switch to light up!!

Ratman how did you run your circuit without tapping into another constant hot line??

Comment

The Hella wiring diagram is wrong I discovered that about 2 weeks ago. If you want to avoid wiring it to your high beams just take the wire and tap into a different source of power. I used the parking lights wiring and I tapped into it at the fuse box so I can operate the Hella's independently

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.
                  But I run a fused wire from + to the supply contact side of the relay. from there I run a much smaller fuse and wire into the supply side of the trigger switch.
                  So I only have small/low power wire in the cab. and only one wire from + per set of lights.
                  Hope that helps

Comment

Working...
                  X