• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d.d. choices.

well, im in need of a truck. heres what i need it to do\have:
    decent mpg(18-bazillion)
    5speed
    it needs to be able to pull at most a small trailer with a dirt bike and a 4wheeler-so a v-6 is fine

what do u guys think? ive been toying with the idea of buying a wrecked(minor damage) dodge dakota and fixing it up, but i just cant seem to find one. the main thing is i dont have alot of $$$. the most i can spend is prolly
    5-6 thousand.

any help?

if u wanna go with the wrecked thing why dont u look for a ranger with a 4.0. my friends bro has one and they have pretty good power...

Comment

I was going to say a ranger with the price range you gave also. But if you look around you can probably find a toyota tacoma (older one) for that price. Those run forever, where the ranger is one of those cars you buy a new one when you need to change a light bulb.

Ryan

Comment

I have owned 2 dakotas and loved them both. A '90 w auto and magnum 3.9l v6 as well as a bolt-action '99 w\ magnum3.9l v6.

With the 99, I got a solid 20-21 MPG regardless of whether I was going uphill, or downhill. I swear, if I put a gallon of gas in it and let it idle in the driveway, I'd find it 20 miles away, out of gas.

Tons of power and pulled 400 LBS of tools around every day for 5 years before I sold it.

Comment

I just picked up a 97 jeep GC for a dd early in the summer. it had 112k miles on it, but i figured for 2500 bucks it was a steal. Its got a V8, overdrive, etc. Gas mileage is close to that, as i get around 16 city and anywhere from 8-40 on the highway depending on how your on the skinny pedal. Overall average my mpg is around 16.7

Comment

my wife had a 90 ranger and drove the crap out of it camping and pulling a small tent trailer. also pulled the CJ5 about 60 miles. bought it new in 90 and sold it in 2005. for 500.
            it did run great but got smashed on spin out on the HWY17

Comment

last spring i got a ram 1500 sport. it has a 360 in it. pull more than i need and gets upper teens on the highway. if i keep my foot out of it, it does well around town to. i paid under 6 grand for it.

i forget the year, but ford had a diesel ranger that used to get like 30mpg.

Comment

i just found a dodge dakota for under 2k, 02 with 55k miles. it has a busted rack and pinnion and the drivers fenmder is busted, but i think im guna try and win the bid.

Comment

I "had" a 99 ranger. Yeah, it had good power. I had transmission problems that couldn't be fixed apparently. It rode really nice and got 20 mpg on the highway. I got rid of it because of the transmission problems, but now I miss it. It had dual exhaust and a good system. I don't trust the Jeep anywhere outside of town. My truck I could have driven across the country if I had to. I pulled a U haul trailer loaded with the wifes stuff and my truck was loaded down and I didn't have any problems with it. The trans was still doing funny things but it got me home.

Good luck, if it were me, I would find a V8 dakota.

High5

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                    ......i forget the year, but ford had a diesel ranger that used to get like 30mpg.
                    that would kick major rump! I'm a diesel fanatic now - they are by their very makeup more efficient than gas counterparts (compression-ignited, as opposed to spark). I was going to suggest a single-cab short-box early-mid 90's ford or dodge diesel fullsize. I wish somebody had made a midsize diesel (inline4? V6) pickup. I'd probably be driving one today.

my wife gets 18 mpg consistently in her 4runner, I imagine you could do the same in a tacoma - probably in a ranger too.

Comment

My dad has a '90 Chevy S-10 4x2 with the 4.3L and an auto. That thing gets great gas mileage. Prolly around 22-24 on the highway.

Comment

Consindering the tow capacity you are looking for and the MPG you are wanting, I would go with a Toyota. Even a 10 year old truck will probably run longer than you are willing to hold on to it. Just my .02

Comment

My father had a Ranger for years and years... little stuff got sort of dilapidated on it... silly things like side mirror bolts stripping out and leaving the mirror wobbly... that sort of thing. Other than the minor annoyances, it was a fine truck and got good gas mileage.
                          However, were it me, I'd likely go with the Toyota, like most people suggested.

Comment

When I go wheelin' with the Bombardier, or break the jeep, i use my father's old truck. it's an 1986 toyota pick-up 2wd long bed 5 speed 4-cyl. it's the 22re motor. we've got 236,000 on it, we bought it for $200 back in 96 with 110,000. So far we've put a clutch, brakes, and water pump on it. it still runs good enough to carry me around wherever I need to go. we don't drive it back to jersey anymore as of this year, its 306 miles doorstop to doorstop, cause my father bought an 02 silverado and that's more comfortable, but it would still make it!! we used it when we moved all our stuff up here, we put over 1 ton of weight in the back and drove it up and she hauled it just fine!! and when not loaded and driven nicely she used to get 34 mpg, that was with my dad, I never drove it nicely. I used to race my buddy's full size chevy with a 4.3 in it almost every night homw from work. we'd run like 100 mph 10 miles to watertown. we were very lucky not to get caught and it was only for a summer, but if you need to go 100 she'd do it, haha.

Comment

Working...
                            X