X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Phone Service thru Time Warner Cable

Digital Phone Service thru Time Warner Cable is only $39.95 a month. That includes local, local long distance, and nationwide long distance, hell my local telephone is more than that. Anyone have this service? I was wondering if you had any problems or issues with the service?

My main concern is do you have to have your computer on to use the phone? All this new technology has you wondering quite often about too much stuff!

Any input would be appreciated!

I've got mine thru Cox Cable, which I believe is part of Time-Warner, and I love it. You don't need to have your computer on to use the phone. What they do is hook up a different modem that will use your existing phone lines to carry the digital signal. It will also provide cable modem service for your internet if you have high speed. I've had mine for about 6 months and have not had a problem. I especially like the unlimited long distance plus all the additional features (caller id, call block ect.) all for $40.

Comment

Well with most system like that they are using VoIP. Which means you will need a broadband access.
      Here is the catch if you are using DSL for get it. Most phone companies(ALTHOUGH THEY WILL ARGUE THAT THIS IS NOT TURE) cause problems with this protocal. So it would not be good to switch if you have DSL.
      If you are using something like Cable broadband don't forget Vonage, I think they are much cheaper than that.
      As for your computer question you do not need your computer running but you will have to have your internet connection working.

Any other questions feel free to ask. This is where I have good information.
      Currently reCerting for my CCNA, just missed my CCNP by one month now I have to start over.

Comment

I'm not sure about TimeWarner but a lot of the VoIP companies have one problem. When you call 911, they cannot get your location because your over the internet. This is a concern if you loose your conection and it hangs up, they will not have your number or your location. Just givin y'all a heads up. Again I don't know about TimeWarner but it might be a good question to ask a sales rep.

Comment

Most all VOIP have fixed the 911 problem, you register your address with them and they send it to 911 automatically, so not really an issue anymore.

Comment

VOiP and digital phone are two seperate things. Digital phone is digital phone through a std digital trunk and your 911 info can be tracked to your address. VOiP uses TCP/IP info for the routing and threrfore cannot be tied to a physical address at your local police or fire department.

In our area of the world the only problem with digital phone is that our cable goes out a lot. When it does youre now completely in the dark; no phone no internet, no tv.

Comment

Yeah

Thanks for all the info! My cable high speed goes out often, but never the cable tv. I always used a netzero dial-up connection when the cable high speed went out, but that won't work if the digital cable is out so good point. As far as a phone back-up my wife is hooked on her cell phone so at least we could use that.

My problem is that the phone companies are jacking us around. My local service charges the crap out of you and then they want you to use their local long distance service and want even more money. If you call nationwide or out of your local long distance area then AT&T stuffs it up your butt. I had a scam for several years of using a 10-10-297 number for long distance and it worked well. Now the local phone company has caught on and they are charging a fee if you use those type of carriers.

The total for all my land-line phone services is get close to 75$ a month. The digital service may be something to consider

Thanks Again

Comment

Originally posted by Blupupher
                Most all VOIP have fixed the 911 problem, you register your address with them and they send it to 911 automatically, so not really an issue anymore.
                i dont' know how knew that is but when a chemical plant blew up in my home town of apex everybody with digital phone didnt' get the reverse 911 call and didnt' know to evacuate.

Comment

I have my digital phone through Massillon Cable, which is Time Warner or at least exactly the same.
                  Anyway, your computer does not have to be on for the phone to still work.
                  Now I have noticed that sometimes late at night, past 2 am or so, the phones will not work for a half hour or so while they do repairs or maintance or what ever they do. It does not happen every night (at least not that I know), it has only been a problem for me once or twice but for the most part I have been extremly satisfied with my digital phone.

I love the free long distance. All my family and friends live in Nevada and California and I can call them any time at no additional charge. It works pretty nicly for me.
                  Another thing that is nice is I can count on my bill. I know exactly what it is going to be every month, my cable, my phone, my net. I never have to worry about how much long distance I used. So unless I buy a pay-per view fight or something, my bill is the same every time. I like that.
                  Last edited by avainaffairs; 11-08-2006, 01:07 AM.

Comment

I'm actually getting zoomphone (local cable company) today.. they have the 911 thing settled.. I can still dial 911...

and it is only $29.95 a month b/c I have the cable internet already. Plus I'm keeping my phone #... looking forward to savinng $$$...

-Mel

Comment

Originally posted by adventure bob
                      VOiP and digital phone are two seperate things. Digital phone is digital phone through a std digital trunk and your 911 info can be tracked to your address. VOiP uses TCP/IP info for the routing and threrfore cannot be tied to a physical address at your local police or fire department.

In our area of the world the only problem with digital phone is that our cable goes out a lot. When it does youre now completely in the dark; no phone no internet, no tv.
                      It is still VoIP, it is just a controlled network. So now they can tie your IP address to your real address. Unless someone came up with an entierly different protocal that I don't know about. It is possible I have been out of it for a year.

Comment

Good info! I guess the last question that I've been trying to figure out concerns my modem. I've heard that the phone line somehow hooks up to the cable modem. If this is true how does it hook to the modem and can I use my existing modem or do I have to buy a new modem especially designed for the digital phone service?

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

It is just another device on your network like your computer is. I would assume you have a switch or one of those common cable/DSL router/wireless access point/4 port switch/etc. You just plug it in like you would another computer in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by battallion14
                            It is just another device on your network like your computer is. I would assume you have a switch or one of those common cable/DSL router/wireless access point/4 port switch/etc. You just plug it in like you would another computer in most cases.
                            Very good, I have a router for my home network so that makes sense. It sounds like in maybe worth checking out. I could just have one payment too!

Thanks

Comment

Hey Dog,

Watchout for their "special" pricing on all their services together. Make sure you are getting the max bandwith on your internet. They like to cut your bandwith on the internet to save money on your bill to make it look good. Dont forget to check in to Vonage. They are like $25 month for the phone over cable. Same setup as TW.

Comment

Working...
                              X