X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical system.

My Positive battery cable on my 1993 Xj is bad Evey once and a while I have to tighten the end on it. How many wires do I have to replace in order to replace that cable. I my neighbor had to replace alot of wires in order to replace that one on his 1998 Xj is that going to be the same on mine or not.

You have three options.

1) Replace just the terminal end with a universal replacement.

2) Replace the entire positive cable. To find how many wires are attached, follow the Red positive cable to the starter. Count how many wires run off it and those will be the ones you will have to reconnect or extend and reconnect.

3) Get a factory replacement.

Comment

93 should only have two wires from the positive on the battery from the same terminal. One to the power distribution controller and one to the starter.

Comment

I ment when My neighbor replaced his he had to replace this whole octpus of wires in order to replace that cable.

Comment

I replaced the termanial end, but I can not replace it any more because I replaced it so many times that if I cut the cable again I will not be able to reconnect the battery again.

Comment

then buy a big butt conector and 6 inches of welding lead or whatever gauge wire it is and then add a universal terminal clamp. thats how i'd do it.

Comment

That's a good Idea now why didn't I think of that. But to be on the safe side any more suggestions.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand?

Your asking about the cable from the + on your battery?

If so it goes into a box just in front of the battery and connects with two nuts. It also goes to the starter. You don't have a bunch of wires to replace. The two nuts on the PDC are hidden by a plastic cover but it just slides off.

Thats how it was on the 94 wiring harness I put in my YJ and also on the 95 grand my wife has

Comment

That what confused me was that there was all those wires in the plastic tubing, on top of a whole s*hit load of electricaly tape.

Comment

if u wer referring sarcastically to my post and suggesting my idea was not safe...its only dangerous if you dont know what your doing.

Comment

I would not use one of those replace terminal ends. I used one once and then I had hard time starting. I had lights, but when you hit the key to start nothing. I finally got a factory cable and replaced it. Where the wire clamped on the replacement terminal, it was full of corrosion that you could not see unless you took it apart. I hope this helps!!!! By the way, if you try the butt splice idea (not bad) I would solder the connection. It might be a pain to do, but it will save you a headache in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by joshs1ofakindxj
                        if u wer referring sarcastically to my post and suggesting my idea was not safe...its only dangerous if you dont know what your doing.
                        No I was not I ment I would like to get some more ideas on what to do to see if there was a bigger problem with my jeep. So are we cool or no. Because I did not mean to offend you in any way. I really did mean that you had a good Idea. I was not being an a*sshole about it.
                        Last edited by hotroddenal; 12-05-2005, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Roflmao

Hey Beavis he said butt! he! he! he! he! he!

Comment

were cool. i just sometimes think that when people see im 17 in my sig, they assume i dont know anything or something. i dunno.

the reason the one guy had trouble with the aftermarket terminal was probably because of the area inside the wire clamp for corrosion to develop. mine was like that so i made a rubber spacer out of just a flat piece of rubber to really make it tight. no problems with 2 terminals like that. the guy with the problem and i both used the wrong kind probably. figure out what gauge wire it is and theres a nice selection of different sizes at sears you can check out. if you butt connect it, not only soldering, but shrink wrapping too will probably work beter and look beter. i also use this ugly red spray on anti-corrosive coating on my terminals that works well.
                            Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 12-07-2005, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Electrical System

Both my 1988 and my 1991 have after market clamp ends. OK before anyone
                              makes a post let me explain. I bought my 1991 it would not start so to fix it quick I went with the clamp on battery end, how stupid could I get lasted about a week and left me stranded. What I did was I purchased military/commercial style, stripped back the wire and soldered on terminal ends
                              and put strink tubing on the terminal ends and I have had no problems.
                              I did this several years ago on my 1988 and have had no problems until I
                              decided not to do this on the 1991.Military/commercial style can be gotten at
                              NAPA stores terminal ends also.

Comment

Working...
                              X