Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Panel guard casue additional rust?

hi ppl
    I just received a set of paintguard stuff I had ordered from Quadratec. It is made by Tough Stuff. Since the jeep is just painted I gave the stuff to the body shop to install it before I pick the tuck up. He was against it saying that water will collect under it and will casue rust.
    Is this true? What is your experience?
    This stuff is supposed to stick completely, would still be collecting wate underneat?
    Thanks
    PS. In case you don't know what I am talking abut here is the link:
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...rotection&c=20

Originally posted by Sahara95
    hi ppl
    I just received a set of paintguard stuff I had ordered from Quadratec. It is made by Tough Stuff. Since the jeep is just painted I gave the stuff to the body shop to install it before I pick the tuck up. He was against it saying that water will collect under it and will casue rust.
    Is this true? What is your experience?
    This stuff is supposed to stick completely, would still be collecting wate underneat?
    Thanks
    PS. In case you don't know what I am talking abut here is the link:
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...rotection&c=20

If, and I say if there was no prior rust, then If he did a premo job on the paint, then I'd say! Go for it. Just follow instructions 110% to the letter. Good luck HMR-RSQ

Comment

I agree. They should be ok. If they were down around the rockers or fenders, they would trap moisture and salt, etc, but it looks like they will keep more out than they will trap. Just remember adhesive tape could mess with the paint since it has not had a long time to cure. Good luck with the project! Post pics when you get it back.

Comment

I would let your paint age a little bit before you put the stickum on. Fresh paint continues to catalyse and off gas for a couple of weeks. You may ultimately end up with a two tone paint job if you ever take the stickums off.

Comment

Panel guard

I had corner protection on my Toyota FJ40 but when I installed it I ran a bead of clear silicone and smoothed it out carefully. Only on the top and sides
          not the bottom incase moisture needed somewhere to go which is down.
          Haven't put anything on my YJ yet but was looking at the product you are
          getting. Never had any rot on the FJ where the protection panels were only everywhere else!!!!

Comment

i wouldnt use silicon due to the fact that paint will not stick to it, so if you ever go to paint it, the paint wont stick there, but i would strongly recomend using some sort of caulk...white lightning is a good brand. and i'm with the other guy, dont put it on the bottom

Comment

Working...
            X