X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shifting in to 4 wheel drive

Just in case I am doing something wrong, What is the correct procedure to shift in to 4 wheel drive? Is it shift the transfer case in to 4 high then lock in the hubs?

I have never thought about it before. Out of habit I have always locked the hubs in and then selected 4H or 4L, depending on the upcoming conditions, once back in the vehicle.

I would think you could do it your way but but take off slowly the first time to ensure the hubs are fully engaged. A few inches should do it.

Comment

I always lock the hubbs in first, then I drive in 2wd untill I really need 4wd, then I just shift in, that way I don't have to get out and get my feet wet or muddy. Also, I can shift into 2wd to make a sharp turn easier.

Comment

Originally posted by tracraym
        I always lock the hubbs in first, then I drive in 2wd untill I really need 4wd, then I just shift in, that way I don't have to get out and get my feet wet or muddy. Also, I can shift into 2wd to make a sharp turn easier.

Comment

wisdom...

Originally posted by tracraym
          Which brings to mind something an old man once told me about four wheel drive. 'Always use four wheel drive to drive OUT of a spot, never to drive IN to one.'

Comment

Four Wheel Drive Use

well blackwater...i hafta disagree with yer famous quote....that may work for some of them street drivers that use 4wd to git to the walMart to stock up on bread an soup everytime there's a flurry,BUT us reeel four wheeler types do it different...i wanna have everything locked it and shifted BEFORE I go into a bad hole 'cause sometimes you need to put the hammer down ...NOW!!! and hurry up boy ...er yer climbin outa tha window and rechin across fer the tow line of yourn laughin buddies.Not a good day....nuff said

Comment

With realatively few exceptions, I think Blackwater has it right in this case.

If you need 4wd to get in, how do you plan on getting out?

Unless you are in an organized event, play it safe and use the 4wd for its intended purpose, a last resort extraction tool to get you home, not deeper into trouble.

Took my Dad a long winter with no pickup to drive to learn that lesson (he lost his truck on thanksgiving and we went and retrieved it for him after the spring thaw)

Comment

I disagree also.

you have to go balls out with hubs locked and already in 4wd or you will be screwed. Mud or snow. You need speed and 2wd only gets speed till you hit the hole or drift.

If you get stuck, you knew you were stuck before u went in. But thats the fun of it.

Limping in, then trying to get out by shifing into 4wd only works for small mud holes or drifts.

Put some 38's on and you will figure it out!!!

Comment

Jodean...

Originally posted by Jodean
                  ...you have to go balls out with hubs locked and already in 4wd or you will be screwed. Mud or snow.
                  ...you've GOT to be kiddin'... Is that the philosphy you're using when you're out in the middle of one of those lakes I've seen you stuck in?...

I'm goofin' with you, man. I wasn't tryin' to start a debate, guys. I guess my birthdays keep showin' on me.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
                    ...you've GOT to be kiddin'... Is that the philosphy you're using when you're out in the middle of one of those lakes I've seen you stuck in?...

I'm goofin' with you, man. I wasn't tryin' to start a debate, guys. I guess my birthdays keep showin' on me.
                    Ya see, all i needed was more go and i would have made it!!!

It sure is fun though!!!

I have a video of a friend and I going throught the lake and then i broke my front axle joint climbing out. I just need to figure out how to get it on the net now. I have it on dvd, but now i cant figure out have to make a avi or mpeg. anyone out there know what to do or what to use??

Comment

i use 4wd to get to the top of the mountain. i can roll back down without it.....

Comment

i use 4wd to get to the top of the mountain..... i can always roll back down

Comment

I have no desire to break anything, I am out in my jeep to have fun, and busted parts are not fun, period, and especially when you are over 100 miles from the nearest shop, and further than that to make the cell phone work.

I will on occasion shift into 4wd to cross a mud hole, or creek, or even a river, but I will not charge into an unknown mud bath at full throttle. I won't even stop to pull someone out when I see that is what they did, at least not right away. (I can see myself letting some moron sweat for a day or so before offering assistance)

Now don't get me wrong, I like to throw mud as much as the next guy, and a lot more than my wife does, but I must stress that unless you have an escape route, or a plan to get yourself home, or some really good buddies to haul your sorry carcass out, then "Balls to the Walls" is not a good idea.

Just my take it for what it is worth. Not trying to start a fight or anything.

P.S. my dad's truck has snowmobile tracks on the roof that prove that you can't always roll back down the mountain.

Comment

Oh well thats a different story. I wheel two miles from my house. If i had to i could walk home.

Ah, maybe not, id still break it even if i was miles away. Always go with at least one other person though.

Oh, and dont forget to get the wreckage on camcorder!!!

Comment

it doesnt matter which you do first as long as you do both at the same time. If you drive with your hubs locked so you dont have to get out its only a matter of time before you have to replace your front ujoints or more.

Comment

Working...
                              X