X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any waterfowl hunters?

it coming close to waterfowl season i'm starting to get the urge to shoot something even though i got just under 2 months before opening day. I've been spoting ducks and geese like crazy out of nowhere. My friend that don't waterfowl hunt think i've gone crazy

Also the other day my buddy gave me some ideas and told me to figure out how to make a few things and were going to try and sell them.

Oh yeah. Roasted duck with wild rice.I got some new Carlson choke tubes a few months back that are ported. Those real heavy loads kick my butt.

Comment

waterfowlers shoot heavier loads

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy
        Oh yeah. Roasted duck with wild rice.I got some new Carlson choke tubes a few months back that are ported. Those real heavy loads kick my butt.
        My problem is my gun is limited on chokes BUT as long as the company i like makes them im happy which they do. I will be ordering a Kick's High flyer full choke for my gun soon (its the choke the duck commander and crew use). But I've been eyeing my jacket and waders at cabelas and they went on sale for a dang good price, 120 instead of 250 for the jacket and 130 instead of 200 for the waders. which means i will have to hold on the choke.

But the most important news i've heard in a long time is that central Ill season opens OCT 27th which there is only 1 place i know here and there are always ducks and geese in that area. But we don't have a blind there so we have to go on the drawing to get in there. Sadly south season isn't till nov 22nd, which is were my buddy and I have 2 different spots we have blinds at.

Comment

We live over in St. Jacob, IL. About 25 miles East of St. Louis, Mo. Quite a few of our friends go Duck hunting at Silver Lake in Highland, IL. I think the blinds are on a first come type thing, not sure. Over at Carlyle Lake, I think you have to be on a list, and get picked. I never tried Duck Hunting, always had something else going on. My neighbor used to have some pretty good Labs that were used when they went out. My son recently got a Choc. Lab and she retrieves pretty good for a pup. Lot of duck hunters in our area. I have a Mossberg 500, with the exchangable choke tubes. Always wondered how it would do on ducks. Had a Mossberg 12ga. bolt action 36" barrel Goosegun years back. Sold it to one of the neighbors for his dad to use. I bought it used off of a fellow that had the barrel swedged down to a tight full choke, and he used it at turkey shoots and such. We used it once at a local Firemans turkey shoot. We won a number of items, but they informed us to not bring it back again. Oh well,,,

Comment

After the first day they go so high they are wearing oxygen masks.

Comment

Originally posted by Healerdoc1
              We live over in St. Jacob, IL. About 25 miles East of St. Louis, Mo. Quite a few of our friends go Duck hunting at Silver Lake in Highland, IL. I think the blinds are on a first come type thing, not sure. Over at Carlyle Lake, I think you have to be on a list, and get picked. I never tried Duck Hunting, always had something else going on. My neighbor used to have some pretty good Labs that were used when they went out. My son recently got a Choc. Lab and she retrieves pretty good for a pup. Lot of duck hunters in our area.
              Your about 5-10 miles east of me. I'm in marryville/troy. only bad thing is highland and carlyle is that they are in south zone (everything south of I-70 is south zone)
              Last edited by 98sahara; 10-01-2007, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Prepare the duck for the oven. Prepare a wild rice stuffing. Pour a little red wine in the roaster. Stuff the duck and put a whole apple in the entrance to seal it. The apple will provide a seal and moisture along with apple scent. Put the duck in the roaster breast up and seal tighly with foil. 300 degree oven. You want to slow cook so the duck will absorb moisture and not dry out. Leave out all of the extra spices, onions and stuff. You can wipe oilive oil on the duck since wild birds don't have the oils that farm raised birds have. Go for the natural taste. I know this is extra work but bare with me. When the bird is close to done remove it from the oven and remove most....not all...of the fluids from the roaster....you don't want a boiled bottom on your bird. Crank up the heat to 350 and leave your bird uncovered and finish it in the oven after a little dash of pepper and VERY LITTLE salt. You can save some of the fluid you removed to make a gravy. You can use the neck to season water for the gravy. Don't use a ton of stuff to make gravy or you loose the basic taste. Use a sweet potatoe as a side with your gravy...yes you can and it's great.Let your bird sit for a little while when you take it out of the oven so it doesn't tear when you cut it. Save the bones when you cut it up and what little fat you find for a great vegatable and duck soup. The soup is great after you have frozen it and saved it for those days when you want a good meal when it's raining, cold and miserable out.

Comment

You need to get on over to Arkansas for the flyover season.

Look at the map:
                  The eastern 1/3 of Arkansas is pretty much all rice fields (what isn't rice is soybeans). Those honkers like it.

But don't go visiting while it's mosquito season, or you might just get carried away.

Comment

My belly is always right. Ask LYKOS...he's missing three cats. Cats are stringy and need a lot of tenderizing. Plus you have to allow for the time you hang the meat.A cat can be good but it takes WAAAYYY too much time to prepare.

Comment

thats why i just go to the chineese buffets. they've doen all the work already

Comment

<---------- That's why i got him!!! Next year will be soooo much fun!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sbacon
                          <---------- That's why i got him!!! Next year will be soooo much fun!!!!!
                          I am trying to find me a choc or silver lab. I had a line on a fully akc registered choc in the middle of summer but he didn't have as many pups as he thought he was going to have.

Comment

Originally posted by 98sahara
                            silver lab
                            I heard of chocs, blacks, and yellows, what's a silver lab? Sounds interesting, any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee96
                              I heard of chocs, blacks, and yellows, what's a silver lab? Sounds interesting, any pics?

their usually not too cheap, most akc ones go for 1,000-2500 bucks where as choc's go for about 500 for a good akc one.

I have this site thats all on them but their down for some reason but here is a decent picture of one

http://www.silvertonelabs.com/newima...or_picture.jpg

If your ever in tampa they are huge there for some reason. I saw at least 2 dozen of them when i was down there

Comment

Working...
                              X