X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm eating

Just to let you zombies know. I'm sitting here with a giant bowl of collard greens, corn bread and smoked ham with tea. A little peppar sauce for the greens. I used butermilk for my corn bread. Suffer people.

Not bad.

Got me a brisket in a brine for the next few days while I'm off on a work trip. I get back and take a day oof, gonna smoke it nice and low in some mesquite...
    Grill some spuds in olive oil, some corn in the husks, a bit of grilled zuchinni on the side and iced tea. Yup, it'll be good.

Gotta see if'n I can make a deal with you Poppy, on some of those peppers.

Comment

Poppy, set me out a plate, I'm on my way!

Gryphon, when I'm done at Poppy's, I'm coming to your house. So set me a place there too!

(I wish! )

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee96
        Poppy, set me out a plate, I'm on my way!

Gryphon, when I'm done at Poppy's, I'm coming to your house. So set me a place there too!

(I wish! )

Y'all welcome any time! Table's kinda small for everyone, but the kids are good there and living room works for the growed-ups!

Walmart has mesquite chips, not as good as solid logs, but not bad either, I smoke in my grill. pm or email and I can send some info and recipies.

http://www.geocities.com/gryphonblade/h2roast.jpg

Comment

GRYPHON....pm me and I'll see if I can package some of my Thai hots to you. It doesn't take but a few to heat things up past unbearable.Also you should get a bottle of bourbon and soak a pile of wood chips in some before smoking meat. Bourbon and whiskey is aged in oak casks and gives a real nice flavor to meat. Better than that....while you are out cut some green oak and let it dry some then soak it in bourbon. Thats a lot better than the commercial kiln dried wood.Maybe we should protest and riot and sacrifice some virgins to get a food section here. Forget it....no virgins left....they are all waiting for some nuts in a desert.

Comment

Hey CHEROKEE if you want a few of these peppars pm me. I think I have enough right now that are still on the bush. They are extremly hot and only a few go a very long way in a dish.They are nothing to play with. I grow mine in an old cooler with potting soil where I add cigar butts. The cigar butts rot and keep bugs from eating the leaves. I add earthworms sometimes to keep the soil turned. New soil is added when needed for nutrition and watered only when they start to dry out. Concentration of acids seems to be a key. My bushs are several years old and cut back every winter. NO CHEMICALS EVER. If you really like a hot Chinese type dish or gumbo take the peppers and let them air dry then crush them before adding to a dish. Please understand they are very hot and too much will ruin a dish. Our weather is going to cool in the next month so the peppers will be gone for about 6 months. Great source of vitamin C. There is a very old Vietnamese guy that comes by and sits in the yard and eats them right off the bush. He is at least 500 years old and looks it. His grandson brings him and waits on him. The grandson says his grandfather loves them because they come from the earth. Another thing you can do is add them to olive oil and let them sit for a month and they make a great oil dressing or cooking oil.Sorry to carry on but I love these peppers.Spice of life.

Comment

I'm eating Crackers and canned cheese. Suffer people!

Hm, tonight is industrial prepared food. I might go eat some of that!

I complain, but I actually like the food here...it's free.

Comment

Oh yes, we had them in the Phillippines, if I am thinking of the right peppers. NASTY hot!!
                We'd stuff a bottle full of them an vinegar and let it set.

Comment

Originally posted by 47driver
                  I'm eating Crackers and canned cheese. Suffer people!

Hm, tonight is industrial prepared food. I might go eat some of that!

I complain, but I actually like the food here...it's free.
                  Hey, I had the cheese and vegetable omelet MRE for breakfast the other day. Good ol' early morning fire calls! Lucky to find one on the truck. Pretty good too, if you don't mind egg-flavored grainy jello! The hashbrowns and bacon we good!

Comment

are you kiddin' me?

Originally posted by Poppy
                    ...There is a very old Vietnamese guy that comes by and sits in the yard and eats them right off the bush. He is at least 500 years old and looks it. His grandson brings him and waits on him. The grandson says his grandfather loves them because they come from the earth...
                    Good GRIEF, Poppy. I can't believe this. The guy is obviously a freakin' ZOMBIE.

You make me want to run to the kitchen and drag out some pots everytime I read one of your 'food posts'.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy
                      The grandson says his grandfather loves them because they come from the earth...
                      Yeah, well so do earthworms, but that don't make me any hungrier.

I'm eating oatmeal.
                      Ah, the joys of having Scottish ancestry!

Comment

I just got back from dinner.

Shrimp and crab legs. Mmmmmm. Oh, and corn on the cob, with a peice of cake to chase it all down.

Comment

Hey GRYPHON and CHEROKEE they are on the way. Got a nice gentle rain last night and this morning the bush is beautiful. I had a little cornmeal left from my cornbread so I put it in the soil for the worms and it soaked in. Nutrition for both the bush and worms. The worms keep the soil from hard packing and starving the roots.Maybe I'll smoke some fish this weekend...if I get any.

Comment

Thanks a bunch Poppy! Looking forward to getting them.

Comment

I need to know if they get there and are still solid enough to use. The rain has caused the bush to bloom again and I have a pile of immature peppers. I don't want to give anybody any bad ones. My front bush which gets the morning sun is a wide spread bush and the other is a close bush for the evening sun.My basic irragation system is the window a/c's that drip into the containers......so sunlight has a lot to do with development.A little hint for you chili people......cook your meat about 2/3 the way before adding the peppers or you can't taste the difference between the peppers,sauce and meat. Chili is more than a hot dish. A real chili taste good and doesn't make you sit on the thron like a goose.

Comment

Working...
                              X