Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Cancer From My Old High School?

I talked to my mom yesterday, she and my dad live in FL. She told me that a bunch of people that went to Bayshore High School in Bradenton, FL are getting some different forms of cancer, and other ailments. Some have died. Has anyone heard about this? It kinda put a damper on my b-day celebrations. Here's a couple links...

http://www.bradenton.com/local/story/182755.html

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...NEWS/710270373

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/p...d=1.1.1&sflg=1

Sorry to hear that...
    while I haven't heard of this particular instance, up here in the NE we have significant pockets of that sort of thing... whole towns where for block upon block, every household has had at least one family member with cancer. They made a movie a good long time ago about one town here.
    Best advice is start keeping track, write it all down, get in touch with everyone you can and follow the trail.

Comment

I contacted a web site that is about this specifically. A woman started it, who has lost her sister to cancer. I also added my name to classmates.com in the Bayshore High School section. I didn't graduate from there because I spent my senior year back up here in PA. There was some bitterness about my leaving, from my best friend at that time. I guess she turned everyone else against me too. But I have found a few people on classmates.com, and I emailed them. I am trying to find the old best friend in particular, but she's not on the list. I found a possible name for her now, but I can't get any other info unless I fork out some funds. Any advice on this? I would like to try to heal an old wound.

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee96
        I contacted a web site that is about this specifically. A woman started it, who has lost her sister to cancer. I also added my name to classmates.com in the Bayshore High School section. I didn't graduate from there because I spent my senior year back up here in PA. There was some bitterness about my leaving, from my best friend at that time. I guess she turned everyone else against me too. But I have found a few people on classmates.com, and I emailed them. I am trying to find the old best friend in particular, but she's not on the list. I found a possible name for her now, but I can't get any other info unless I fork out some funds. Any advice on this? I would like to try to heal an old wound.
        Fork over the funds... it's worth it.
        You don't have to stay subscribed forever, and for the time you're subscribed you can contact the folks that matter to you. I went through a phase of doing that about 10 years ago, and tracked down all sorts of people, old girlfriends, old buddies, etc.
        The sense of completion of things was nice. Some old stuff that I'd been holding onto I was able to let go of.
        Healing is worth an awful lot of money.

Comment

my parents lived in bradenton for about 25 years. this is the first i heard of this. are all the problems just in people that attended the school there? don't count on any help from the government in finding out what the problem is. i found out several years ago that there was a problem at Camp Lejeune, NC back in the '70's when i was stationed there. it seems a local drycleaner was dumping cleaning solvent and it got into the water supply. there have been all kinds of health problems from that but the military claims that only people that lived in on base housing with families were affected. i lived on that base for 2 years, drinking and showering with the same water as all those living in on base housing, yet i was told that there was no way that my health problems could have been caused by this. even if they were, there is no way to be checked for this or to be compensated if it were ever proved that this caused my problems. hopefully you can get to the bottom of this. at least you don't have to deal with military beaurocracy.

Comment

Sounds like mostly asbestos. Nasty stuff to be sure.

I would not worry. There is no sense to worry about things that may not happen, especially if you cannot control them.

I would make sure you have good health insurance, a good savings, pay down debt and be prepared in case of something such as that. But that is prime advice for everyone.

Please do make sure you discuss this with your doctor. The sooner cancer is caught, the better chance of survival and of beating it. Most of the tests are pretty easy.

I went down with Hodgekins Lymphoma in 2003. We caught it in stage 1 (there are 4 stages. You want to catch this stuff in stage one!) A year's worth of chemo and radiation later, I was pretty ragged, but alive. A couple years later, I'm doing a lot better. I have some issues, but it was all pre-existing.

Insurance paid for all but about 20%. I am still over 10k in debt to medical bills and lost a year's worth of work income. Disability medical insurance sure is nice. Something like Aflac would have been really nice. It wasn't easy living on $400 a month, but it was sure better than nothing!!!

Overall, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...tho I sure do NOT wanna go it again!

Comment

Yea, asbestos is definitely a possible culprit. They found other bad stuff in the soil around the school, too. Odd thing is when George and I first met and started dating, he worked at an asbestos abatement company.
              I'm not stressing over it too much, I just posted this yesterday because I needed to vent a little. I think I will mention it to my doctor, though. Just to be sure.

Thanks for the advice about all of it, everybody!

Comment

Just don't fall into the victim mentality. Cover-ups rarely happen in real life (outside DC), and usually are just oversights. As few people as they have gathered so far that have attended the school over the last 30-40 years that have gotten sick, I wouldn’t consider this a pandemic. Look at the percentage of Americans that are getting cancers and other ailments. Look at their life styles. Is this number of students that went to this school out of whack with regular numbers? Is it just the high school? They all lived in this community. Maybe it was something else. 96 people getting cancer out of how many that graduated in 35 years? If the school graduated 1,500 students a year, that is 52,500 people. That equals .18% of the students have gotten cancer. The Nat’l cancer rate is about the .48%, the Florida cancer rate is around the .56%. Even if the average class was half the size, the rate of cancer is only .37%, which is lower than the national average. So the good news is, you have a lower percentage of getting cancer than the average American because you went to that school! So don't loose any sleep, don’t wring your hands, and don’t go looking for someone to hang before doing a little research.

Remember, you are more likey to die in a car crash than any other thing you do on a daily basis, yet we all continue to do it.
                Last edited by 47driver; 10-31-2007, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X