X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water boarding...

Alright I'm going to throw out a somewhat potentially explosive subject and hopefully things won't get too carried away...

So I was presented by my teacher to write a very brief opinion paper on water boarding and torture in general. Which really wasn't a very easy paper to write and I'm still not sure how strongly I actually believe in the words that i wrote... but i'm just curious as to everyones stance on water boarding/torture and hopefully no one will anyone else and this won't get overly heated.

To be able to write or present a paper on a controversial topic in which, regardless how you feel, the teacher is happy, is a tough thing to do. I had to take Economics 101 two times. The first time, I argued my conservative opinion and did not do so well. The second time I had figured that to get through college, I had to appear to agree with the prof.

I'm FOR using those measures necessary to acquire the information needed to protect our troops. We have all seen what the other guys do to our guys.
    When in Rome..........

Comment

The tree hugging liberals think water boarding, loud music and keeping the enemy awake too long is torture. After we catch the enemy, we need to give them a full body massage, a nice hot meal, maybe watch a move and then let them go back home and do it all over again. I*m being sarcastic, we need to step up our interrogation methods, get their information and destroy the enemy.

Comment

we have to play by the rules, but they don't. all's fair in love and war. whatever it takes to complete the mission. whatever happened to the good old days of wrapping some det chord around their neck before questioning? i've heard of guys wrapping some around a small tree and setting it off to show the power of the chord, then some around their neck or waist. that really seemed to open the lines of communication.

Comment

I have a friend who is in the Army and currently serves as an interrogator. The Army taught him Farsi, sent him to Afghanistan, and then back home. I never had the guts to ask him what he did, but I could see it in his face that it took something out of him. I would never think of asking him what he was asked to do to defend our country. In my opinion, he should be allowed to do whatever it takes to make sure I can sit here and type this out without fear of repercussion.

Comment

if you really want good interrogation, let them come home late, smelling like alcohol and have lipstick on their collars while their PMSing wife is waiting up for them. THAT IS FEARFUL INTERROGATION....

Comment

It's pretty cut and dry for me...Whatever works. If it takes torture to get intel that keeps our guys alive and completes a mission than I say go for it. We got too many @$$hole liberals that say we shouldn't do that, but do you hear any of them speak out when it's one of our own on the other end, HELL NO! Except for Fubar's idea, some things are cruel and unusual punishment. I'd rather be waterboarded than come home like that.

Comment

Well my paper I started to write it the way i truly felt, but then I figured I would be attacked on all sides in my English class. So then I decided well since I already hate this class and the teacher I'll just write something that everyone will like to hear so I can go back to ignoring that teacher.

Comment

this is WAR!! war has never been civilized. by definition it cant be. our job in the military is to complete the mission and keep our people alive while we do it. its my opinion that we started having trouble with wars when politicians started running them. they arent interested in anything except fulfilling their own agendas.

"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the
                  sooner it will be over."
                  -William Tecumseh Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff's_Jeep View Post
                    Well my paper I started to write it the way i truly felt, but then I figured I would be attacked on all sides in my English class. So then I decided well since I already hate this class and the teacher I'll just write something that everyone will like to hear so I can go back to ignoring that teacher.
                    and as for this, stand by your beliefs, no matter what the consequences. if your prof fails you at least you know you didnt compromise your self and your beliefs. my 2 cents.

"In matters of style swim with the current in matters of principle stand
                    like a rock."
                    - Thomas Jefferson

i love these quotes. haha.
                    Last edited by AFJeep; 05-14-2008, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I remember doing a paper AND presentation on gun control in high school. I demonstrated how a stapler can be used to assult someone and how a stapler is actually a semi-automatic weapon. The class decided to ban staplers too. It was fun.

Whats really worse: interrorgation, imprisonment then relsease back to their lives when the conflict is over, or killing them in battle?

When dealing with individuals with such a value system as these folks display, I'm all for a tin can, a rat and a blow torch if it's needed.

Torture for torture's sake is criminal. Torture as a useful and necessary tool for gathering information is a fully viable and valuable tactic.

Gee, we use a little water to freak someone out and make them spill the beans on their buddies? Sounds more like a collage prank to me. (yes, I do know what's involved.) Killing unarmed people and draging their bodies through the streets? Whose tactics are more inhumane now?

I like the detcord tactic myself.

Comment

In my opinion, waterboarding would be the screaming preference of any detainees over what they would face from me...
                        I don't go for niceness on this kind of thing, and I don't really play nice anyway.
                        Waterboarding as it is practiced does not cause any harm or injury... just scares the bejeesus out of them.
                        Next thing you know, we'll be unable to make scary faces at them too.

("Pyle, show me your war face. BxxxSxxx that doesn't scare me... I said show me your war face. Arrrrrrrgh!")

Comment

I had it done to me in SERE...it works, trust me..and I'm still alive
                          Last edited by Big Mike; 05-15-2008, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AFJeep View Post
                            and as for this, stand by your beliefs, no matter what the consequences. if your prof fails you at least you know you didnt compromise your self and your beliefs. my 2 cents.

"In matters of style swim with the current in matters of principle stand
                            like a rock."
                            - Thomas Jefferson

i love these quotes. haha.
                            Oh I stand by my beliefs but it was much easier to write a paper like that then to try and explain my beliefs.

Comment

Yeah one of the articles are teacher had us read was that certain branches or the military or maybe it was just certain positions had this done in basic training. Anyways in all honesty if I had the option to either torture someone and get thrown in jail afterwards but save everyone on this boards life or not torture him stay out of jail but lose everyone on this board... Wouldn't even slow me down in torturing the person.

Comment

Working...
                              X