X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frauds and Scams

I get so sick of scammers using Jeeps in their scams. Just recently I saw an ad on Craigslist for an 01 Sahara with a lift, winch, and around 100k. The guy only wants 5 grand for it. So I e mail to get more info and not sooner than I do that, Craigslist pulls the ad. So, I think scam and whatever. Well, he e mails me saying he's in the USAF and that they can't use phones while training(but they can use internet??) and that the 'car' is still for sale. He then goes into the story of how another buyer fell through, but shipping has already been paid for on this 'truck'. Weird thing is he has pictures and the VIN, mileage checks out and there is a guy by that name in the USAF. I'm leaning so far over towards scam I'm about to fall over.

But, how do you know it's for real or not???? Seems like a great price on a nice looking Jeep.

I'm sure it's a scam, it just pisses me off that people use Jeeps in their scams.

Rant off

High5

Its not always Craiglist that pulls the add. 1 thing I have noticed a lot of lately is when someone thinks they have found a super good deal they will flag it on craglslist so that no one else can see it. Kinda chicken $hit in my opinion.

Comment

It's like when people bid $.01 to remove the buy it now price on Ebay. I hate that crap. What you're saying about flagging and the weirdness happened to me, I found a gun safe for a steal so I wrote the guy's # down, it was an ATL # and the guy said he was around town..odd right? Well he went on a rant about scammers so I was a little suspicious, anyhow, went to meet the guy and get the safe, he meets me at his work, hands me a beer and we sit and smoke and joke for about 30 minutes, I hand him the cash, go home with said safe...very nice transaction that started fishy...but anyways someone flagged the listing about 15 seconds after I wrote the # down so when I went to look at the pics again less than an hour later it was gone.

Comment

I don't buy anything on craigslist that I can't go over and see or meet the person somewhere with the goods. that way they dont' show up oh well but at least I don't lose however much I would have lost.

Comment

I sent him an e mail stating that I had contacted DAS with the VIN to find out their dealings if any with him. He made a comment that shipping was paid for already due to first buyer paying and DAS not refunding. That right there was a red flag. He also stated that the Jeep was at their facility waiting to be shipped. DAS states that they don't store or hold vehicles.

I haven't heard back from him, but there is a guy by that name in the Air Force. Not sure what to think.

High5

Comment

Guy in the AF might be somewhere overseas and totally unawares that someone is using his name.
            "Training" not being able to use the phone but has use of the Internet... actually that's possible. When I was a lower enlisted kid, all the phones we had access to were DSN only, so taking or making a commercial call was not possible.

Comment

Where are you located to where the jeep is located? If you can't check it out don't buy it.

Comment

Working...
              X