Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haa air tools

after years of wrenching by hand i had to break down and buy a compressor
    oh how much better, not to have busted fingers, or knuckles.... and i am not as tired after i am done . no more 4 ft bars... now, i wish i had done it before...time to change the fly wheel... getting to be spring here.. getting tired of changing starters....

You think thats cool, try having them on the trail. You wouldn't believe how happy broke folks are when I pull up and pull out an impact gun and hit it from my 12 CFM compressor. Oh that bolt is stuck and rusty? let me introduce you to Mr. Hi speed cutoff wheel. Oh, that ball joint is keeping you from getting your rig back home? let me intorduce you to Mr. Impact Hammer and Mrs. Pickle Fork.
    And the ability to take a 35in tire from 8psi to 32 in less than a minute really saves wear and tear on the drive back to town.
    Oh yeah brother right their with you on air tools.

Comment

yes air tools are you friend . what did you buy ?

Comment

Here's what I love about air tools. I work at a hardware store and a P.O.S air impact for $20.00 makes as much torque as a $150.00 electric. And it'll last longer.

I buy mostly Ingersoll Rand. I've got a 1/2" 2131QT with 600lb/ft of torque. Also have an IR 3/8". If all you have is a half inch, you got to get a 3/8", you'll use it all the time (alot of the craftsman professionals are made by IR, but you didn't here that from me). Air hammers make every job easier, and air drills are great but require a lot of scfm.

For those of ya'll who are prospective compressor buyers, save up for a good one. Don't get that 3 gallon for $100 and think you got a good deal. Buy large. If you don't think you need one bigger than a couple gallons, than you don't need one at all. Capacity counts. Alot. I have alot of customers return compressors suprised that a 2 gallon won't push a 1/2" wrench for long. Don't be that guy.

Comment

*not trying to hijack the thread*

Bob, what compressor do you have onboard? I'm adding to my "list" and I want OBA.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadedwaterrattler
            Capacity counts. Alot. I have alot of customers return compressors suprised that a 2 gallon won't push a 1/2" wrench for long. Don't be that guy.

ditto that

Comment

Runnning a York. A lot of people will say that the York from an air conditioning system will do the same thing but they usually only have a 6 or 8 cfm head installed. If you have a decent sized tank a 6 or 8 isn't bad. I have a 5 gal tank but will be including new rollbar space as tanks for about 7-10 total galllons.
              I bought my compressor new from Kilby Ent. I didn't want to go through the crap I've seen others go through in terms of rebuilds to get good flow. After you completely rebuild one of these things your time and the rebuild parts are way more than a new one. Thats why car dealers throw them out instead of rebuilding them. A Sanden, the small round ones, are even worse for rebuild cost. I got all the regulator parts, control switches and hoses etc from a local hose and compressor wholeseller for about $250. My system runs an auto on and off at preset pressures and runs a low regulated circuit at 80 PSI for the ARBs. Before I got the tank the high side ran at about 115psi (right at the hi shutoff) steady at 2500 RPMs with a load. So if I was airing up tires I had to set someone in the seat and have them hold the gas pedal. I will get motivated one day and put a throttle lock on it.

Comment

A long while back...before the crash....I posted on what I did so I'l do it again. I have a big trailer that I put a generator on and a compressor and tool box with air tools. Big battery charger/starter. I can take it when I go off someplace and park it so everybody has access to power and tools. Throw in a large ice chest with beer and you have an instant garage.

Comment

I like both the ideas. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                  X