X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Hickory Smoked Bacon

Here we go. I cut up one of the larger butts I had into smaller pieces and then rubbed them with the Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon cure. It is very important to follow their directions as very little cure is needed. In fact, the entire box that you get from them is good for 25lbs of meat. Make sure you rub all surfaces well. especially if one of your cuts is from where the bone was. All surfaces should have cure on them. Put it in a non-metal container and stick that in the fridge. Forget about for 5 days, then flip the meat over, and leave it to cure for another 5 days minimum. When the meat is done, soak it in water for one - two hours to pull out excess cure. Rinse the meat off, pat dry with paper towels and let it get to room temperature. While that is going on, fire up the old smoker. I used just hickory. This would also be a good time to put any seasonings or flavors you might want on the meat. I rubbed one of my cuts with black pepper and left the other two alone.

http://webwheeling.com/gallery/d/86655-2/DSC_0002.JPG

The cut that I peppered is also the one where the bone had been. After peppering it, I folded it in on itself so it was a nice uniform shape and solid. While smoking it will solidify into the shape you form it into.

I smoked them at 200* til the internal temp hit 140*. Foil them and let them rest for at least an hour. From there you can put them back in the fridge to chill overnight so you can slice them later.

http://webwheeling.com/gallery/d/86660-2/DSC_0003.JPG

However, I was so eager to see what I got that I immediately sliced one after it had rested for an hour and a half. It looks somewhat like ham and has a bit of that flavor.

http://webwheeling.com/gallery/d/86663-2/DSC_0007.JPG

I now know better and will stick it in the fridge in the foil overnight. The others I was patient with and was greatly rewarded this morning.

http://webwheeling.com/gallery/d/86669-2/DSC_0009.JPG

We fried up a few pieces of our homemade bacon and had bacon and eggs. It was incredible. You do need to be careful with frying it though as the meat is very lean compared to typical pork belly bacon. I will definitely be doing more of this. I doubt our 5lbs is going to last very long. :clap:

Now here are the things I would do differently.
    • On the initial meat cuts I would try to get them more uniform and smaller similar to strips of bacon.
    • Be patient and wait for the meat to chill before slicing.
    Not sure what I will do differently seasoning-wise next time. I will smoke with apple wood for sure just to try a different flavor. Maybe rub with maple sugar or inject with maple syrup? Maybe some cayenne bacon? The possibilities are limitless. :agree:

Good stuff. Made it myself several times.

Comment

Keep workin with that pork. when you get the REAL salt pork down pat, let me know where to send the $$$. I can't get it here.

Comment

This has become my favorite cooking channel.

Comment

Here ya go Chip.http://www.himtnjerky.com/
          Been using there products for over 10 years. Love the Peppered jerky blend. We vac. pack every thing after smoking. Even used the peppered jerky cure on small Trout, every one loved it. A week in the hull of a Kayak with no cooler and all was well. Talked with the owner of Hi mountain a couple times. Gave me a go on the peppered cure with fish. White mold on Beef jerky OK. White mold on fish jerky will kill ya. Just remember that. Got there Jerky cutting board, makes getting even slices real easy. That dang ss blade is so thin and sharp you could cut off a finger while blinking. Even used the BB bacon cure on a side of pig the butcher got me. Yummy. And yes the cured butt tastes like Ham. Still yummy, love fried ham with a little raisisn sauce on top.

BTW, dont over cook beef jerky, the cure cured the meat, the smoke is for the flavor. Dang I'm gettin hungry.
          Last edited by redtail; 09-12-2009, 05:21 PM.

Comment

D@amn, Joel...

You need to buy a meat market slicer... You know, the kind that'll slice little pieces of finger off if you aren't careful.

Everything you've posted looks fantastic. I'm with Damuall. This is a great cooking channel. I bet you're driving everyone on the block crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by kingchip View Post
              Keep workin with that pork. when you get the REAL salt pork down pat, let me know where to send the $$$. I can't get it here.
              To be honest with you, I don't know that I will ever make salt pork or typical pork belly bacon. Part of the appeal to me is to not eat so much fat like you find at the grocery store. And yes, here I can find salt pork in most stores. I would be happy to ship you some if you want to pick up the costs of the purchase and shipping. Back bacon isn't my thing though.

Originally posted by redtail View Post
              Here ya go Chip.http://www.himtnjerky.com/
              Been using there products for over 10 years. Love the Peppered jerky blend. We vac. pack every thing after smoking. Even used the peppered jerky cure on small Trout, every one loved it. A week in the hull of a Kayak with no cooler and all was well. Talked with the owner of Hi mountain a couple times. Gave me a go on the peppered cure with fish. White mold on Beef jerky OK. White mold on fish jerky will kill ya. Just remember that. Got there Jerky cutting board, makes getting even slices real easy. That dang ss blade is so thin and sharp you could cut off a finger while blinking. Even used the BB bacon cure on a side of pig the butcher got me. Yummy. And yes the cured butt tastes like Ham. Still yummy, love fried ham with a little raisisn sauce on top.

BTW, dont over cook beef jerky, the cure cured the meat, the smoke is for the flavor. Dang I'm gettin hungry.
              I am about to throw some homemade jerky on the smoker but using my mom's recipe (which happens to be from WI). If the slices are less than 1/4" you don't need cure. The acids within the smoke will cure it for you assuming you aren't using fatty meat nor that your slices are too thick where the moisture never is removed from the meat.

The Hi Mountain cure/seasoning does indeed taste like ham when you take it off the smoker, but when we fried it this morning it had more of a bacon taste.

Originally posted by blackwater View Post
              You need to buy a meat market slicer... You know, the kind that'll slice little pieces of finger off if you aren't careful.

Everything you've posted looks fantastic. I'm with Damuall. This is a great cooking channel. I bet you're driving everyone on the block crazy.
              I got my eye on a few different slicers Morgan. I picked up some briskets today and will be making pastrami and corned beef in the near future. After cutting up the roast beef last weekend, the bacon last night and this morning, and now 7lbs of round for jerky I am fairly certain I will develop carpal tunnel if I don't get a slicer.

I am indeed driving people on my block crazy. I had a woman tell me last week that whatever I was cooking a few weeks back smelled great. I was puzzled at first but realized she was talking about when me and my buddy burned out the drum to sanitize it. She was smelling burning paint, 10w30, and pallets but that still smelled better than her own cooking to her.

Comment

Always thought better safe than sorry. Smoked a couple large Salmon one time for a friend he caught in lake Michigan. Got so dang sick thought I was gonna die. He loved it. I take no meat from friends anymore.NOT

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater View Post

I make jerky every year, but the Mexican way. After slicing to about a 1'4", salt and pepper, and hang outside(humidity low). Tomorrow, you pull it down and beat it with a meat hammer, and rehang. After two or three days of the hammering, leave it up until it's dry. dump it in an old pillowcase and put it in the pantry. We use it frequently in eggs for breakfast, with a salsa of serrano, tomato, onion, and garlic. Scramble and enjoy with fresh homemade tortillas, corn or flour. (Called Machacado).

Don't waste your money on a home version slicer. Go to a used restraunt supply, or look for a deli going out of business. There's a ton of barely used commercial kitchen eqp't floating around.

Comment

Originally posted by kingchip View Post
                    I make jerky every year, but the Mexican way. After slicing to about a 1'4", salt and pepper, and hang outside(humidity low). Tomorrow, you pull it down and beat it with a meat hammer, and rehang. After two or three days of the hammering, leave it up until it's dry. dump it in an old pillowcase and put it in the pantry. We use it frequently in eggs for breakfast, with a salsa of serrano, tomato, onion, and garlic. Scramble and enjoy with fresh homemade tortillas, corn or flour. (Called Machacado).

Don't waste your money on a home version slicer. Go to a used restraunt supply, or look for a deli going out of business. There's a ton of barely used commercial kitchen eqp't floating around.
                    That sounds tasty kingchip.

I have been watching Craigslist and you are right. Lots of used restaurant equipment out there for the taking.

Comment

Honestly...must I read these posts after a long night of drinking? This is completely not acceptable. This bacon MUST be in my stomach right now. Even the crappy street fair food that I ate has NOTHING on this stuff.

Joel...I may be considering banning you if you continue to post these delicious morsels...this is your only warning.

Comment

Chip, for the amount of meat 14 smokes, a proffessional meat slicer sounds like a great idea.

Comment

Well, I've just been there. I bought a home slicer, and it suks. The blade warps as you slice, and creates uneven slicing. Heck, I can do that with a knife. Used commercial, aremuch more heavy duty, starting with the motor. Many of them can be hosed down for clean up. A huge plus.

Comment

Build A Smoker

For anyone interested, here's a link to how to build your own smoker:
                            http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Wild-Pig-Smoker/

Comment

Originally posted by LoTGoD View Post
                              Honestly...must I read these posts after a long night of drinking? This is completely not acceptable. This bacon MUST be in my stomach right now. Even the crappy street fair food that I ate has NOTHING on this stuff.

Joel...I may be considering banning you if you continue to post these delicious morsels...this is your only warning.
                              Do your worst Aaron. I got proxies at my disposal.

Is Jerry Bransford registered here yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X