X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilge water tales

Today was my first big day in the boat. Mixed results really. It's not as dismal inside as I'd remembered, in fact once cleaned, it's going to be quite nice. This is a very early model Corsair, so the layout isn't quite the same as the 'specs' posted around on the Interwebs. It's pretty clear that about $500 (that's 5 'boat bucks' for those that wonder) worth of epoxt paint will make a huge difference. Structure looks solid.
    And then the nasty part came. Opened up the bilge and discovered that, as I'd been warned, that it needed to be pumped out. I pumped (hand powered portable bilge pump) about 10-12 gallons of something that once upon a time was mostly water. Popped open the forward hatch and left it gapped open so the boat will air/dry out. Then spent about 2 hours wrestling with blue tarps in the cold wind (it's snowing here again) getting the boat covered, and the cover tied down securely. Ended up tieing knots in the dark with gloves on - am I ever thankful for being a Boy Scout when I was younger!
    And then to my surprise, I slipped and was tottering, so I jumped off the deck... the ground was further away than I anticipated, and whammo! what a landing, sprained my ankle, banged my tailbone, and somehow managed to sprain both shoulders... so I'm pretty banged up. The foredeck is 10.5 feet off the ground if you wondered.
    I did a preliminary inventory before I left: 4 sails (2 are brand new - that's $500+ apiece), fire extinguisher, VHF radio, cassette/am/fm radio, masts, spars, furler, and all the hardware and line you could eat... except I'm sure I'll need to replace most of the line.
    Been a long day. So now I'm home, relaxing (ouch, I'm stiff) and eating sushi with wasabi! Cheers! Pics to follow soon.

Dang...

Tom, you're supposed to jump out 'after' you put it in the water. Hope you didn't do anything 'permanent', man. I almost fell off the roof two years ago and I'm still not over it.

Five 'boat bucks' . . . that's funny.

Comment

I forgot to mention one thing... I have the title to the boat in hand. I own a yacht!
      Okay, it's a bit stinky and needs a good scrubbing, but it's mine!

BW, I don't think I did anything permanent with the fall, but sometimes it's hard to tell. It was a hard enough landing that it shook my insides pretty good. Hard enough to make me sick at my stomach for a little bit. I've only fallen that hard once before, although the previous fall was worse, and I was really nauseous for about half an hour from the fall.
      I'm thinking that when I get the boat in the water, I'll have to try a little fishing.

Hopefully I won't hook a blue shark... those stinking things like to jump in the boat after you hook them. Coming in after you as it were.

Comment

Stink is relative. Sorry to hear about your shoulders Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep View Post
          ...BW, I don't think I did anything permanent with the fall, but sometimes it's hard to tell...
          That is so true. It was about three days before my shoulder started acting up. You're in pretty good shape, Tom. I'd still be laying there if I'd fallen from that height.

A couple of nights ago I leaned my chair too far back at the computer and fell over backward. I laid there for about five minutes and I probably didn't fall more than two feet all told and it was a 'slow' fall. The Blonde One heard me when I hit the floor and started yelling from downstairs. 'Are you okay?' But, being blonde, or just not really giving as hit, she didn't bother to come up to see if I was paralyzed or anything.

I know you don't need to be told to 'be careful' but be careful. You were very lucky to be able to get up and walk away from that.

Comment

Yep, "boat bucks" know that one. It goes alone with the term: Boat, a hole in witch one pours money into.

But they are fun, where do you plan to do your sailing?

Comment

OK, this morning I am really stiff and sore. And my right arm won't go above my head. But I think that's mostly muscle pain - that was the 'bilge pump' arm.
              Note to self, if I ever have to pump 500 gallons out of the boat (major swamping or worse - getting a hole in the hull) I'm going to need a serious bilge pump, not the little hand operated jobbie.
              And yes, stink is relative. Courtesy of olfactory fatigue, after a while you hardly notice it - unless it's penguins or Korea, neither of which seem to obey the laws of stankage.

I'll be on the road for a few days and likely absent from the forums for a while, so y'all play nice 'til I get back!

Comment

Tom, DO NOW!

http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Jolly-R.../dp/B000CPJFVI

Comment

Wow Tom, Pigs cant fly. Dosnt even sound like ya tried to glide to the ground. I would be dead after a ten foot drop. Take care of yourself. Safety first.

Comment

What a ride...

It sounds like you could have used some wings, or at the very least some ninja skills. Glad you are (mostly) OK. Have you considered renaming her "Great Falls"? Or is that one taken? Stick with these: and the worst you will end up with is busted knuckles and an empty wallet...

Do penguins really stink? They look so... clean.

Comment

I was working on a new ship...she had been to sea once. I dropped my new tape measure into the bilge....I got it back, but dang I dont want to go into an old bilge!

I worked on a major refit of the Pacific Princess cruise liner....she had a sewage line burst in between the dual hulls. Had a non-correctable 17 degree list when they dry-docked the garbage scowl...oh was that POS a job! Took our company most of a year to do our work, the rest of the contractors were on 24/7 shifts the whole time. Then some doofus laid a pile of mattresses on top[ of a LIT work-light. The resulting fire gutted two decks and the entire hull had to be repainted. That was nasty work. I did the interiors. Had just built them all just to have them burn, trhen had to work 18 hour shifts at the plant in Oregon to rebuild it all then drive up to install it all agin over two weeks...the we went to sea with the ship just to have the newly rebuild engine blow a head gasket trying to out-run a storm....not fun hearing the screws come out of the water AND air gurgling UNDER the hull at the same time!

Love the little sailers tho! Keep up in pics bro!

Comment

While I appreciate the sentiments of flying a pirate flag, I'm afraid my flag budget (there are a number of required flags that I have to get) is already strained. I'll get a Jolly Roger into the mix before I sail away to oblivion, but I have at least 4 required flags to get first.
                        How bad does a penguin stink? Well, olfactory fatigue usually sets in so a smell doesn't smell so bad after a few minutes. Not so with penguins. The stench just keeps on coming.
                        The bilge water I was pumping was about the consistency and color of a Guiness draft. And almost that frothy. To add insult to injury, the place I landed when I fell was pretty much where I'd been dumping the bilge water... fortunately it was frozen and crunchy by the time I took my tumble.

Comment

Ok,,, Where are all the pictures of this boat? Have I missed them or are you holding out on all of us?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom74'CJ-5 View Post
                            Ok,,, Where are all the pictures of this boat? Have I missed them or are you holding out on all of us?
                            It's a vapor-boat. It's not real, just made up, like the infamous Corvette of long-lost legend that someone claimed to have had.

Seriously, I am behind when it comes to processing pictures.
                            Looks like this (because it is this, not because it's similar to this)...
                            http://jeep-forums.4wd.com/picture.p...&pictureid=291
                            Needs cleaning, paint, and a bit of shining. But with the tarp on it now (to keep the winter out), it's not very photogenic.

Comment

Hey Tom, I've been away for awhile but looks like you ended up with the boat after all. Sorry to hear about the fall, dang that had to hurt! Never been much of a "sailor" type but looks like fun, think I'll stick to my "motor boat", easier to hold a cold one while cruising.

Comment

Working...
                              X