X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke Shackety Goodness

Twas a busy weekend at the ol' homestead.

I was having problems hitting temps with the electric hot plate setup so I picked up a propane fish cooker from Bass Pro for cheap. This is a much better setup for warm and hot smoking. I will use the hot plates for cold smokes like cheese and fish.

http://webwheeling.com/gallery/d/89440-2/DSC_0043.JPG

Mmmmmmmmm meat. Top back row: jalapeno and cheddar summer sausage. Middle top row: regular beef summer sausage. Front top row: beef snack sticks. Lower back from left: andouille and kielbasa. Lower front from left: Pepperoni and country cheddar

http://webwheeling.com/gallery/d/89442-2/DSC_0044.JPG

Cut into the jalapeno and cheddar beef summer sausage for breffast. :yummy:

http://webwheeling.com/gallery/d/89452-2/DSC_0049.JPG

looks tasty.
    would using more burners help I have a box full still.

Comment

Nice!

Any signs of heat damage from the propane burner? It looks like it fits nicely and is well away from the plywood. Just concerned about overheating the ply next to the burner and possibly off-gassing nasty stuff (formaldehyde).

Do you use a sausage stuffer like Cabelas carries? I've been looking at those for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratman View Post
        looks tasty.
        would using more burners help I have a box full still.
        I think I am done with my quest in heating in this thing. Now I can focus on perfecting some stuff to send you as thanks for the burners.

Originally posted by Gryphon View Post
        Nice!

Any signs of heat damage from the propane burner? It looks like it fits nicely and is well away from the plywood. Just concerned about overheating the ply next to the burner and possibly off-gassing nasty stuff (formaldehyde).

Do you use a sausage stuffer like Cabelas carries? I've been looking at those for some time.

No, I am not running this thing anywhere near hot enough for that to happen. 180 - 200* is as hot as I will ever get it. It is for smoking sausages, cheeses and jerky. Anything that needs to go above 200* will go in one of the other smokers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon View Post

Forgot to answer this earlier. Similar to Cabelas, I got this unit from Northern Tool when it was on sale for $70. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8623_200308623 It works well and was perfect for me to get started. If I had to do it over again I would get a 15lbs stuffer and not a 5lbs unit.

Comment

Excellent work, as always.
            You ever consider going into business?
            I think you could get a market together with little trouble.

Mmmmm.
            Looks super yummy too.

Comment

looks like you have more meat than you can handle there. hmm, wish i could help you out. if you only lived 20 miles away and worked less than 5 miles from my house.....oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep View Post

Mmmmm.
                Looks super yummy too.
                I'm in for a purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsjeep View Post

Mmmmm.
                  Looks super yummy too.
                  I have thought about it but I am not sure I want to turn it into a job just yet.

Originally posted by the Captain View Post
                  looks like you have more meat than you can handle there. hmm, wish i could help you out. if you only lived 20 miles away and worked less than 5 miles from my house.....oh well.
                  Maybe I can bring some down to Uwharrie when we finally get to wheel together.

Comment

Originally posted by NOCHEEPGAS View Post
                    I'm in for a purchase.
                    I am willing to trade for a custom built reverse flow smoker built to my specifications.

Comment

going into bidness . . .

Originally posted by battallion14 View Post
                      I am willing to trade for a custom built reverse flow smoker built to my specifications.
                      Well, a NOCHEEP fabbed cooker might push you over the edge into commercial production. You'll be the next Jimmy Dean.

I've been sitting here for about five minutes staring at all that meat and wiping drool. I have decided that you are fine-tuning some sort of unique olfactory torture for God knows what. If you had a pic of a stack of pancakes or a cooler full of beer, I'd probably pass out.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater View Post
                        Well, a NOCHEEP fabbed cooker might push you over the edge into commercial production. You'll be the next Jimmy Dean.

I've been sitting here for about five minutes staring at all that meat and wiping drool. I have decided that you are fine-tuning some sort of unique olfactory torture for God knows what. If you had a pic of a stack of pancakes or a cooler full of beer, I'd probably pass out.
                        How about a pony keg of Red Oak in a cooler?

http://webwheeling.com/gallery/d/17315-3/100_3577.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by battallion14 View Post
                          How about a pony keg of Red Oak in a cooler?

http://webwheeling.com/gallery/d/17315-3/100_3577.jpg
                          You are an evil evil man...

Comment

14,Youre on youre way to Memphis in May.

Comment

Originally posted by mdwatkins View Post
                              You are an evil evil man...
                              Since it's just a pony keg, he won't actually pass out, just momentarily lose consciousness.
                              Shake it off BW. Shake it off.

Comment

Working...
                              X